Peter Brock
Peter Brock
3/6/23 9:43 a.m.

Few automotive designs in racing history have had such a controversial negative beginning and successful ending as Carroll Shelby’s World GT Championship-winning Daytona Cobra Coupes. Their improbable two-year dominance over the best from Europe was the result of an extraordinary effort by a small but highly experienced team gathered from every realm of motorsport. 

I was fortunate enough to be …

Read the rest of the story

ralphtyrone
ralphtyrone New Reader
6/2/23 7:26 p.m.

And now we know ,'as you know who famaously said "and now you know the rest of the story.

Forget , Shelby, Miles, and Ford.  It was you Mr. Brock who was really responsible for Ford to force Ferrari out of th GT class after the 1964 season. The movie should have been about this story, not the GT40 story. Now that , thats said, I am curious of the name of that German engineer.

Respectfully yours Ralph S. 

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
6/3/23 8:55 a.m.

So weird to think that some people thought of the Daytona Coupe as "ugly".

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
6/7/23 5:09 a.m.

I assume the German engineer was Wunibald Kamm, who discovered you didn't really need that much tail.

GQ354
GQ354 New Reader
1/16/24 11:56 a.m.

Wonderful bit of automotive history! I did stumble a bit at the beginning when you said: "Our first project for Shelby, in 1962–long before Ford’s heavy financial involvement in late ’64–was to equip a couple of pretty but rather anemic English-built AC roadsters with Ford’s then all-new 289 V8." I remember drooling over one of the very first Cobras and it had the precurser to the 289, the 260! No matter, thanks for sharing the memories.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kaaM35K8KexT5uoBeYlVvZJp22GkB9M8wjafv5i38o0wQxXe9lPWisa9b8vxk9fv