David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/19/23 8:58 a.m.

Shopping for a future classic from BMW? Here are a few to consider:

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/19/23 10:00 a.m.

One error - the article says

During its relatively short production run–spring of 2006 through the summer of 2008–BMW North America imported just 1815 cars. 

In fact they imported zero as they were all made in South Carolina.....

bimmerbob
bimmerbob New Reader
10/20/23 7:21 p.m.

Well, I think you've overlooked a few BMW's. The iconic 2002 remains a relatively cheap entry into classic BMW's. It is a reliable, fun and unique car that will always be loved. The M5 Competition is a car that will never be cheap to own, but can be had now with low miles and is an absolute stunner for performance, and is a passenger car that will always be respected. Finally, the BMW I8 checks so many blocks it is hard to understand how it is overlooked. Fast, one of a kind, a design that is arguably the best looking BMW ever made. It also checks the block for economy, and last I checked it is very reliable. The fun factor is exceptional. Owners say they are swamped with car people that want to see such a phenomenal car wherever they go. Just sayin'...

ancientdan
ancientdan New Reader
10/20/23 11:38 p.m.

I have the following bunchabimmers, all oddballs in one way or another.  They may never be worth much, but they sure do bring great joy to an old man: 

1982 318i automatic , pristine in orginal sahara beige with brown comfort seat interior.  I have parts to change to a stick but am undecided.  Not as much fun as a stick, but still fun.

1987 635csi, breathed on by Korman Moter Werks to the tune of 51K. Altered subframes to accept WIDE BBS wheels.  Faster than my M6. Crazy to drive full out. Close to a race car, but no roll cage!

1988 M6. Civilized fast transportation.  I want to civilize it further by REMOVING the competition clutch and the short shifter.  I am 80 and don't have the strength for either. Same for the 87 above. 

1993 530iT V8 Wagon with a stick!  Hell of a grocery getter.  

1997 318Ti.  This is the bobtail. Stick. rare in the U.S. , enormous fun to drive.  That little 4 winds like mad and the stick is really slick, without a short shifter.  

2000 Z3 stick.  Red with black interior. Top rarely used. Joy!

2003 540i , unfortunately it is an automatic. Fortunately, it goes like hell!

2006 X3 bad weather car. Goes great in snow. 

Also found myself with a couple of Jags (90 XJS convertible with a rare stick and an 89 XJ6, both very low miles), and 3 MGs (47 MG Y Type 4 door sedan, 67 MGB-GT, 74 MG Midget).  Still have room on the place for my F-250 $-WD and Kubota tractors.  Ain't life grand when you are having fun!

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
10/30/23 11:24 a.m.

I have a friend with a Z3 M coupe and he has let me drive it a few times and it is a blast. Plus its a hatchback and who dosent like a hatchback? 

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
10/30/23 11:44 a.m.
ChrisTropea said:

I have a friend with a Z3 M coupe and he has let me drive it a few times and it is a blast. Plus its a hatchback and who dosent like a hatchback? 

And the Z3 rear suspension give loosey-goosey handing compared to the Z4 - try one of those if you get the chance!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/30/23 1:18 p.m.

A friend had a supercharged first-gen M coupe.

He no longer has it. :) 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SLYuHRoldu3Tf4b5wQ7vCXzttA5oHAW7fvA45QHJ0MRekSBUQ4qfUYXZOMfntwQa