Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/10/18 12:19 a.m.

My SIL is planning a spectacular evening social event on Friday, June 22, for some reason or other. But it's the Friday night of the Thompson Vintage Festival. I told Annie (her sister), I can't do both, and Thompson is my ultimate priority. I wait all year for it because for me, Thompson is where it all began back in the sixties. So I'm not missing it. I'm hoping to see Stu and Mike at this event, and maybe even Jay from Avon, CT, with his recent vintage VRG-prepped Spitfire racer acquisition. So, is anybody in the Northeast going to the Thompson Vintage Festival? I'd like to meet up with you. (I definitely won't be going to Annie's sister's social event).

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/10/18 8:06 a.m.

I'm planning to be at Thompson, Friday or Saturday will depend on weather, etc.  And don't forget British Car Day at LAAM on that Sunday.

And, Gary, if you missed Bristol, you didn't miss much.  Smaller again, nothing much for vendors.  At least I got to talk with my friend from Maine and make a new friend from Dartmouth, NS.  Even Doris had a good time, taking off with my friend's wife to hit the shops and get lunch in town.   Rumor from a couple separate sources... This was the last Bristol show, they're in the red big time.

Stu

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/10/18 10:03 p.m.

Stu, after my experience last year at the Bristol event, I had no intention of attending this year. But I will see you at Thompson. I'll be there both days. And I'm planning to be at LAAM on Sunday. See you there!

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/11/18 4:37 p.m.

Agreed.  Had my friend not been there, I'd have been mowing the lawn or something that day.  He didn't drive all the way from midcoast Maine just for the show  He has a niece just over the Mt Hope bridge, and a granddaughter's birthday party just across the bay.

The Nova Scotia guy, well, he's just crazy ;-)))

Stu

Rhodyspit75
Rhodyspit75 New Reader
6/11/18 7:05 p.m.

In reply to stu67tiger:

Ok I have to ask , what is so bad about the show? I volunteer at the Bristol and Stowe shows.  An awful lot of work goes into putting these shows on.  I was on the field all day Saturday and heard from a lot of happy customers.  Most people really enjoyed the show.  

Granted the number of cars was down again this year but the ones that were there were very nice.  

The concourse cars were very high end and the rest of the cars on the field were very nice examples of cars that individuals have restored. 

Here’s  a link to a lot of pictures from the show.  https://alanroseman.smugmug.com/Automobilia/2018-British-Motorcar-Festival/

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/11/18 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Rhodyspit75 :

Thanks for posting those photos!  More motivation for me to get out and tinker with the MG!

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/22/18 8:44 p.m.

Stu, Mike, and Nial, great to see you at Thompson today. And Tom Letourneau, if you're reading this ... you are a great man. Thanks for the shuttle ride from the parking lot to the infield. I really needed to hit the head!!!

OFracing
OFracing Reader
6/27/18 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Gary:

Gary, thanks for helping me prep the car for qualifying. I had a fun weekend and the car was running when I was ready to head home, always a plus.

Just bought a new trailer today, getting it ready for the Kastner Cup and the PVGP. Leaving in a week, so glad I don't have any major work on the car (unlike the engine swap 2 days before Thompson).

mike

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/27/18 9:56 p.m.

It was fun seeing you guys too.  I'm glad that Mike had a good weekend.  Phil, not so much.  His new engine had dropping oil pressure and a rapping noise in the third race Friday, so he pulled off.  Sunday at Brookline he told me there were bits of metal in the oil, and so on.  So he has some work to do if he hopes to make it to the Majors in a couple weeks.

I've had better days at the track too.  I rode out to the staging area with Phil for the second race Friday.  As I stepped over his door tro get out, I somehow misjudged the distance to the ground and crashed.  Elbow and knee bloodied.  My pocket camera was squished, nothing $270 to Canon won't fix.   Makes a good story, though.

Stu

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vvQhprj3BPKfTwGLCfNVn7QcGZLReKEgJsQK2q0LksybM1mwGTFKEDGXNTppGRjX