1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/12/10 12:35 p.m.

Looks like we'll dip below freezing tonight. Assuming it's dry, do you take your classic out in cold temps?

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
12/12/10 12:56 p.m.

Yeah, but not much.

It lives in a warm garage and still has the top down since August (MGB). I plan to drive it to work next week if it's dry. Once we get a good snow, I won't drive it because they use a lot of salt in our area (northern NJ). During the non-driving, Winter season (approx January to April), I drape the top over the framework, to help it keep it's form. It's actually a pretty new top (2 years) but I hardly ever have it on the car except when it sits during the Winter.

VClassics
VClassics Reader
12/12/10 1:16 p.m.

Sure. Probably helps that it's a Swedish classic

Shinsen774
Shinsen774 Reader
12/12/10 2:57 p.m.

I try to drive the '64 MGB once a week during the winter as long as the roads haven't been salted and it isn't wet. The heater isn't that great so one has to dress warmly when it's cold. Sunny days are better.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Dork
12/12/10 4:27 p.m.

Winter 2006/2007 we had no snow till mid Jan.

So yeah I took the car out.

But generally by the end of Oct maybe Nov the roads start to get salted.

The race car's season was over by the end of Sept so I drained the rad and now its waiting for some upgrades.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/13/10 7:22 a.m.

I'll take them out, but only if there's no salt on the roads.

flyinlow
flyinlow New Reader
12/13/10 2:14 p.m.

Definite agreement with the no salt theme. The Spitfire goes to it's free inside winter storage tomorrow morning (there is a benefit to a buddy's divorce), and it'll be about 22 out. Hat, gloves, heat on, tonneau cover half open, top down. Wonder if I'll get pulled over--Loon In The Convertible!! Cops around here are bored...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/10 2:29 p.m.

The bikes and the classic car(s) stay inside once they start chucking salt on the roads here, so basically they've been tucked away since our first winter storm in November, even though it's warm enough again to almost drive the Corvette with the roof down.

If it gets really dry or warm I might pull it out but first our driveway needs to dry out as I don't want to give it a mud bath.

TR8owner
TR8owner New Reader
12/13/10 3:45 p.m.

Salt is already on the road up here in the GWN. The TR8 will be in the garage until April.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
12/14/10 11:06 a.m.

I have Blizzaks on the DB7.

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
12/14/10 11:22 a.m.

My only concern would be salt/ice. The car sits out these events. Also the thicker 10-40 oil means a longer warm up for me. The good is we get a lot of 40-60 degree weather in Oklahoma over the winter and the Fiat is fine in that. So it gets regular use.

Cheers Ron

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
12/17/10 6:20 a.m.

Just before the first snow the Ol' Morgan goes in...Not to avoid the salt, but to come out in the spring ready to kick more ass than the year before!

As much as I dont like to put it up for the winter, its a convientient excuse to do the things that need to be done with out loosing valuable summertime driving.

Leo

59bugeye
59bugeye New Reader
12/23/10 8:00 a.m.

The bugeye sits the whole winter...from mid-november till april sometime. If it's a nice sunny winter day, the car gets pushed out and started and I let it run for 15 - 20 mins then back into the garage.

If the roads are dry and it's in the 40's or so, I'll try and take it for a short spin....but that rarely ever happens.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/23/10 8:21 a.m.

I'm with TR8owner and others - The 280ZXT has been in storage since the beginning of November and won't see the light of day much before mid-April...

My daily driver is covered with salt dust and spray - and I washed it Sunday...no way I'd subject my toys to that...

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
12/23/10 9:21 a.m.

My Volvos and Saabs ran best (and worked best---switches, etc) when it was under 40F.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
12/23/10 10:25 a.m.

The toy car season is over for me. We've had a few inches snow over the last day or so, just enough to convince the towns around here to start throwing salt all over everything.

In years when the weather has cooperated, I've driven it to Christmas and New Years parties. Not this year.

I did have the Tiger out in a snow storm once, before the salt truck came around, getting some winter pictures for the club calendar. We only had a few inches, but I had a heck of a time getting it back up my slightly sloped driveway into the garage. With the combination of my tires, and those snow conditions, any driving around town was clearly out of the question. Winter tires would no doubt have helped, since ADU311B and its cousins seemed to get around ok in the snow.

Stu

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
12/23/10 12:04 p.m.

But to answere the question:

Its never too cold!

Leo

Series6
Series6 Reader
12/28/10 10:32 p.m.

Hokiesmokes folks! Supposed to rain heavy tomorrow and tomorrow night and then supposed to drop to 29 degrees (somewhere) in the Valley of the Sun..... If so, I plan to take the Alpine out and shoot next year's Christmas card with a cactus in the background...

Ian F
Ian F Dork
12/28/10 11:32 p.m.

We got socked with the east coast noreaster. Both classics are now on dollies and the MINI 'vert is stuffed into the back of the garage.

(sigh...)

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
12/30/10 1:09 p.m.

It rained all night and is still drizzling so all the salt is off the roads and amazingly it is even 45 degrees outside so I am taking the DB7 out for some exercise since it has been over a month. cars need exercise. :)

I expect to go through about 2 bottles of detail spray when I get back.

JeffT
JeffT New Reader
12/30/10 3:38 p.m.

The TVR has a fiberglass body and it gets brittle in the cold. So the winter projects have begun. No more driving until spring.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
12/30/10 4:40 p.m.

Just got back, took about 1/2 hours to clean all the road dirt off. So nice to get a bit of driving in.

Series6
Series6 Reader
12/31/10 6:47 p.m.

AAwww Phudge! Cold, but the sky cleared...No snow anywhere near by.... (Didn't really expect it but sure would have been a kick) Went out for a few hours and just enjoyed the car and the cold.

I guess I can Photoshop the Christmas card....

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Dork
12/31/10 6:55 p.m.

Ditto... It got up to 7C today. So I got the ice off the drive way.

qdseeker
qdseeker New Reader
1/2/11 9:59 a.m.

The heater in mine works very well so I take it out at times. It sits in the garage mostly now because I am having the final paint job sprayed on at the end of this month and I don't want anything to happen to it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HuNHnbwCIvdrYFnqQZoVn1IOaLixW2lJtFFxn7KU2GFIo6iIzZ1zvs0KOnycneYd