OFracing
OFracing New Reader
3/2/09 12:48 p.m.

Hello, my wife wants to rebuild the glove box her on a 80 Spitfire. Does anyone have a source or spec for the cardboard / fiberboard material? How about the material behind the vinyl used to make the door and other interior trim pieces?

thanks mike

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/2/09 1:47 p.m.

You know, if I were faced with another Triumph glovebox, I'd make a replacement out of fiberglass. Pretty simple project, and it would sure last longer.

For the doors, you can get suitable fiberboard from Home Depot. I once made some MGB doors from 'glass over foamcore board (like for presentations) which was lightweight, impervious to weather, and probably not worth the work it took to make them.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
3/2/09 6:19 p.m.

Tim Baxter quote: "and probably not worth the work it took to make them. "

And when has that stopped us?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/3/09 6:50 a.m.

Well, IF you want to go that route, it does make for very lightweight, weather-proof door panels, and a decent introduction to working with fiberglass.

Get foamcore board from local hobby store or wherever. Cut them to fit using old backer board as a template. In my experience, one board is large enough for a MGB door, but I suppose something else might need two boards put together.

Cut out as many of the holes as you can now.

Put a few layers of 'glass cloth on the foam core, sealing it up well. That's about it, really.

It's a lot easier to just jigsaw some out of fiberboard.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are using cheap polyester fiberglass, you MUST tape off any exposed styrofoam. Plain old masking tape works nicely. If the polyester resin hits the styrofoam, it melts, and you've got a huge mess. The cheap stuff will work, if you tape off, but it would be better to get epoxy resin.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
3/4/09 11:28 a.m.

try a local sign supplier to see what they have most have cut down board sitting around . Lotsa different easy to cut easy to drill board used in the sign profession

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ayYf6ET24tuIoTxP658oc316wY3Kv1olLIISPyFGsQL9YU4iXeRxWM7wqBvvLWYY