NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
1/14/09 1:56 p.m.

Hello, anyone have any knowledge or experience with the shocks sold by Victoria British?

I do not see a brand name neither on the catalog or web page but they are offering the complete set for $89 Part # 5-445 for Spitfire or GT6 On their winter sale, normally $119. Had planned on getting KYB but they are closer to $300 This is for my '80 Spitfire

Since that is about the cheapest I have seen shocks for any vehicle I am doubtful of quality, but the spit is still not drivable and would probably not see too many miles per year once finished. Can always get better shocks down the road. Plus the DD Cherokee needs shocks and was planning on putting Bilsteins = more $

Thank you

Javier

OFracing
OFracing New Reader
1/14/09 3:39 p.m.

I picked up a new set (all 4) of VB's no name shocks from a guy on eBay for $60 for my son's 71 spit last fall. They seem OK but I had less than 200 miles on them when the snow and cold hit and I parked the car for the winter. I had planned to buy KYBs but this deal came at the right time.

I doubt that they'll still be on the car in a year or two I'll be going with KYBs if I keep the it. The car came with a bad shock and I wanted something inexpensive while I evaluate the car and decide on how much I want to put into it. I've had KYBs on other spits and they were OK for normal driving.

On my 63 Spitfire race car I use SPAX but they're overkill for a street car. mike

DavidLMM
DavidLMM New Reader
1/14/09 5:13 p.m.

I put some on my '67 Sunbeam alpine SV last year. They really are no-name - come in a plain white box with nothing but a Vicky-Brit part number. Knowing that Sunbeams can use old 'vette shocks in the rear and some old GM thing up front, I am guessing they are taking Monroes or something similar and repackaging them. For the money, it's not a bad shock. Certainly better than the OE shocks mine had. If it's a DD, you might want to get something better and longer lasting. For a moderately driver 2-season car, they may be all you need.

My $.02 on KYBs - I really don't care for the ones I put on my 2002 years ago. They were harsh, harsh, harsh, and then they totally blew out, can compress them with a finger. Just my experience, YMMV...

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers New Reader
1/15/09 12:29 p.m.

Funny, I feel completely different about KYB than David... soft soft soft. I put some on my wife's Golf TDI and I felt the there was far more body roll, more nose dive braking, and just more of an "American car" ride.

I don't know if I would buy them again.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
1/15/09 1:48 p.m.

Thank you for the responses. I think all you are on my train of thought too, that the shocks are alright for a weekend vehicle considering the price. That is my plan since the current ones are completely blown, then when I start to make it pretty and drive it more would probably switch to a better shock. The sale goes to the end of February so I have some time to find other deals.

Take care

VClassics
VClassics New Reader
1/15/09 6:54 p.m.

Funny, I feel completely different about KYB than David... soft soft soft.

My understanding is the KYB doesn't valve their shocks for specific applications -- the same shock may bolt up fine to a number of very different cars, be harsh on one, soft on another, or work well on a third.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QeJQY70hBg8mcUBRs9W3hAU7t2v3ilOJmQy6QHet3ZAZRgl4z4oxysBIDqEM39NN