1 2
Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
5/15/16 8:37 p.m.

This isn't the first time I've started down this road. Last time though life got complicated as it has a way of doing and getting an "extra" car fell down the priority list. The timing is better now so I'm starting my search with the hope of finding something within the next year.

What I'd like to find is a fun, vintage sports car for somewhere around $5k. I'd like it to be something I can drive right away but it can be a work in progress. Some of the cars that have always been of interest to me would be MGB's/BGT's, Triumph Spitfires/GT6's/TR4-6's, Datsun 240's/260's, Fiat Spiders and countless others that wouldn't likely have anything near my price that one could actually drive.

Here's the catch...my wife and I have 2 boys, ages 8 & 10. You'll notice not many cars on my list have a back seat. I may have to re-think things but this would be far better if I can make it something we can enjoy as a family. So, I'd love to hear some suggestions on sports cars that actually have a back seat that could be used to actually transport small people. Any thoughts?

t25torx
t25torx Dork
5/15/16 10:21 p.m.

A Corvair comes to mind. Mid-engine, has a decent rear seat, sporty looks. The prices on them are still low, haven't been hit by the classic inflation yet. Other option might be a Volvo P1800, though I'm not sure how big the back seat is in those are and also prices seem to be on the rise.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/16 10:39 p.m.

The BGT back seats always look particularly death-trappy to me. The Datsuns seem nice. They'd probably be my first choice since an air cooled 911 or 912 isn't in the budget. Going a little newer, you have your 928,924,944,968.

How about muscle cars, more upright sports sedans and sports coupes? I'm thinking BMW E24, Olds 442, Mustang.

You didn't say how old is old. If you go 90s, you can get a 300ZX 2+2.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/15/16 10:57 p.m.

Sports car

Back seat

I know what those words mean but I can't understand them when they're used in sentence together.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/15/16 11:15 p.m.

$5K will buy a pretty decent SVX. That would be the 90's. Is that old enough? 230 hp AWD goodness.

How about the 2+2 Z cars, since you are a fan of those?

Here's an odd choice- the 70's vintage Lotus Elite.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/15/16 11:18 p.m.

2+2 Datsun Z's were available as early as the 260Z in 1974.

Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
5/15/16 11:19 p.m.

t25torx - I'll look into the Corvair thing a little more. I don't know a lot about them but have always thought they seem kind of interesting.

Mike - I know what you're saying about the BGT back seat. I looked at one a few weeks ago and I don't think those are going to work...but I would LOVE one with a Sebring body kit on it! 240/260's are definitely one of my favorites. In 2+2 form I think the body loses a lot of it's style but I would still consider one for sure. Not sure I can find one in the budget but I'll be looking. An older BMW is definitely something to look into. The Olds wouldn't be my style and a Mustang old enough to fit the bill would likely by too much $. I'm also looking older than '90's.

Trans_Maro - I know. I get it. The thing is I'm really hoping my kids get interested too and the best way to do that is to make it a family activity. I also ride a motorcycle and can't really justify 2 "extra", non-family-accommodating vehicles.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/16 6:11 a.m.
SVreX wrote: $5K will buy a pretty decent SVX. That would be the 90's. Is that old enough? 230 hp AWD goodness. How about the 2+2 Z cars, since you are a fan of those? Here's an odd choice- the 70's vintage Lotus Elite.

That is some good thinking, right there.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
5/16/16 6:51 a.m.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile HalfDork
5/16/16 6:57 a.m.

BMW, or Mercedes.

I have a Merc 190 2.3 16v...I love it. Plenty of room for my kid, and plenty of uniqueness and proformance.

Also use the car when the WX isn't conducive to open top motoring.

Leo

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/16 8:58 a.m.

We went thru the same search about 10 years ago, and bought an '83 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 2+2, but it wasn't long (a couple of years) that our son outgrew the rear seat. I think the idea of a small sport sedan as Tom and Leo suggest might work better than a car that the rear seat was a design afterthought.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/16/16 11:31 a.m.

If it wasn't for the $$limit I would say Morgan +4 or +8 have back seats.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
5/16/16 12:12 p.m.

Several cars have at least usable back seats but none are sports cars in your price range. None of the low priced stuff offered that option.

The Jensen Interceptor and CV-8 had at least usable back seats, as did the Jaguar XK-150 and some of the Porsche 911s.

Raise your price target or shift to a sedan, I'd say.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
5/16/16 12:40 p.m.

What about a MKI GTI?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
5/16/16 12:58 p.m.

a 944 would hit the mark too.

what is it you want to do as a family? Work on it, go to events, cruise? Why sports car - in my brain, sports car and family fun together don't really go together unless the family is in a big truck/rv towing a sports car. What about a jeep or perhaps a big vert?

BillBall
BillBall New Reader
5/17/16 8:27 a.m.

The Porsche 928,924,944,968 will not fit your children. I know. You should get a small sporty sedan with airbags/anti-lock brakes, etc.. Anything else will be too much of a compromise on space and safety for a family. Anything truly vintage would be too dangerous to put on the road with children in it, in my opinion. The best solution? A minivan and a Miata. Or just the Miata and leave the kids with a sitter :)

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/16 3:55 p.m.

What about a Volvo 122S? Seats 4 and you can still find them fairly reasonable. 2 or 4 doors, your choice.

Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
5/17/16 9:04 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and the general feedback as well. While I really like 944's, E30's and some of the other suggestions I think what I'm looking for is something older, less refined and basically not so practical. I know. It makes no sense. I'm also realising there may be a bigger gap between what I enjoy and what I want to do with this car. I need to reassess and decide whether I go for something I've always wanted but it is a 2 seater and accept the implications of that or broaden my search and find something we can enjoy as a family.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/16 5:36 a.m.

2 miatas.

Can be found in your price range. You and swmbo both get to have fun.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
5/18/16 7:37 a.m.

BMW 2002 was my suggestion, but they may not be old and unrefined enough.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/16 8:19 a.m.

Newer and cheaper than a 2002:

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
5/18/16 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Woody: and in my opinion better looking.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
5/18/16 10:31 a.m.

I would suggest a Triumph Stag, but finding one with the cooling system issues addressed for $5000 would be problematic. Also, it's more of a GT than a sports car.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/18/16 10:34 a.m.

As far as sports sedans... what about a first gen Sentra SE-R??

Also AE86's.... they do have real rear seats....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/16 11:16 a.m.
cdowd wrote: In reply to Woody: and in my opinion better looking.

I disagree, but I think that it's just about the only car that fits his criteria, and it's one of the few that he might actually find.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fQuxCjA2FYvIujp7RM1aacXyAoXrG8ufv7Q7OdumJ5wXhszcCjma730b7UlCcmRD