André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
1/18/09 9:02 a.m.

Sigh, this weekend hit me like a ton of bricks.

Must be the pending February blues in advance.

I was all happy about the fact I'm about order the interior hardware for the GT6... Then it hit me... Shez all that money could be invested in a vintage racer a friend offered me.

Even if I could afford the racer I would not have the funds to run/store or tow the beast.

Reality sucks. I know I'll met my goals, but no one like to think it will take the better part of 10 yrs.

Oh well, I guess I'll fire up GTR2 Pride & Glory and run the TR4's around Mosport.

Sigh...

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
1/18/09 9:59 a.m.

Oh great, the MK3 racer in subject is trying to temp me.

The owner came back with a lower asking price.

bikesnrovers
bikesnrovers New Reader
1/18/09 11:32 a.m.

Andre, I feel your pain. I was offered a former SCCA Bugeye racer for a very reasonable price. The engine ran but that was about it as it was very tired from racing. And the body had a few, umm, contact points, but nothing really bad.

It hasn't been out of the garage in almost 25 years and the gent that owns it thought that his son would want it someday. Son is in Europe working and has no interest in cars.

So I debated, do I really want a little racer project? Will I really ever use the car? Or should I just get it, get it running, and then sell it?

Well, I debated about it so long that when I finally decided that at the asking price I couldn't pass it up, it was sold... to his daughter who he thought had no interest in it.

So now I have the Bugeye bug again!

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
1/18/09 11:36 a.m.

I had a good sit down and think session.

Worked out a few things.

The owner of the GT6 in question also chimed in.

I was firmly told not to race or even autox my blue GT6. I'd just end up ruining yrs of work.

Instead wait a little while longer and the right deal will present itself. Just hard to be humble eh.

I want to do vintage racing, but then again I want to do a lot of things which I have nor the time or money for right now.

Ah crap its snowing again.

A.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
1/19/09 10:46 a.m.

I hear ya... especially with the number of cars popping up for sale recently... like that nice looking P1800 in the CMS classifides...

But like you: no place to store... no money to run... and although I currently have a worthy tow vehicle, I'm hoping to sell it by the end of the year...

Patience....

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
1/19/09 11:05 a.m.

I'll give you the same advice I give a lot of folks: Buy a "track rat".

By this, I mean a stock front-drive econobox (Civic, Sentra, Golf, Corolla, etc.) $500 max.

Don't worry about what it looks like as long as brakes and steering are OK. Leave stock wheels and tires on it (so long as tires are OK). Doesn't have to be street legal or pretty. At first it won't even matter if it has old, crappy shocks, etc.

Borrow or rent a tow-dolly and bring it to a track day. I've seen cars like this at Shannonville and similar tracks. Look at their track day schedule and see when they have open-track or HPDE days.

I ran our old stock, automatic Corolla a few years ago at a track day at Lime Rock and had a ball (this was just before I gave the car to my sister ). It ran well for another two years.

You don't need a British classic to get track experience....in fact, this would be very useful experience (even if it's not wheel-to-wheel) before you get a good car. Even if your track rat is slow, you'll have hoot.

Just my 2 cents.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
1/19/09 2:32 p.m.

Advice taken. Good points. Better to gain experience in a car you have little invested in that one you've sweated and bled over... Thanks.

RX_MG
RX_MG New Reader
1/19/09 6:34 p.m.

Ive seen your car & even if you say just one x cross.Dont take any cones because they may leave marks. Or you can tape the hell out of the car & hope its in the right place.You sould have good clubs where you can have fun in your area.I x cross my MG with A club in Toronto.

Safety Fast Steve

Flygirl
Flygirl New Reader
1/19/09 10:38 p.m.

Andre, if the goal is simply the track time and/or racing at speed, any car will do. In fact, it is much better to get out there in a a car that is reliable and not too expensive. Nothing pops your balloon faster than blowing an engine/crashing/fill in the blank on your classic that you scrimped and saved for 10 years to build! Don't make the mistake of waiting until everything is "perfect" to get out there and have a blast. It's like buying your fist house: if you waited for the perfect home you would still be renting? Life is too short. Start out doing club days, auto x, whatever. You will gain great experience, meet awesome people, and not break the bank. Then decide if you are so crazy about it that you want to invest big $$$. My $0.02c worth. By the way I did not follow any of that advice, but it worked out anyway!

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
1/20/09 5:23 a.m.

Great a 3rd car, but your all right.

The Mk1 is fun for AutoX, but it was one of those for every hour of run time it was a few hours of careful wrench time.

A 3rd car is not going to happen until we move into a new home with a larger garage/parking space.

My wife tells me to be patient, my time will come...

btw early shot before I adjusted the rear camber issue.

André Rousseau
André Rousseau Reader
1/20/09 6:04 a.m.

BTW, I still think when I'm ready I'll buy a ratty spit racer, an open trailer and a used F150...

I am very very very aware I'll never win or place in the top 10, but that's not the point.

My honest long term goal is to be the fool who champions the cause and races a GT6 in the VARAC series. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LSur1J3kjoravKSLQ3Q0ekAXluBd0TFAnPwXd5yug6PxfwEWsisgNPrKHvLygosa