1 2 3
racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
10/18/13 6:41 p.m.

What about the original Fiesta? Not on most peoples list, but they were fun cars almost on par with the GTI. Or Suzuki Swift GTi?

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
10/18/13 6:49 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: What about the original Fiesta? Not on most peoples list, but they were fun cars almost on par with the GTI. Or Suzuki Swift GTi?

I've owned three of them and stock they are fun cars to drive but they are not a performance FWD car stock. Or at least those cars that we saw here in the USA. They do have plenty of potential but you have to source most of the parts you'll need from Europe. I think the subject is what cars as sold could be collectable.

mutant
mutant New Reader
10/18/13 7:23 p.m.
mdshaw wrote: 1st gen Civics. Just finished putting BCR coil overs, bigger front discs, rear Prelude discs, urethane bushings, converted from 120mm bolt pattern to 100mm, Mini wheels. All in preparation for the 11:1 ported D16Z6 & Si LSD transmission going in.

the 1200 civic is absolutly the most overlooked and capable fwd car of the 70s...in my opinion even more worthy than the VW's...just look at what adam malley did with one...also probably the most like a mini of all the 70s and 80s fwd offerings- datsun F10 included... p.s. i love VW's-but the civic fits the mini's size shape and perfomance specs better...

rambler68
rambler68 New Reader
10/19/13 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

The other GM lines had variants of the Z24 hatch: 2000/Sunbird GT Turbo, Skyhawk T-Type Turbo, Firenza GT (this also used the V6/5 spd in 87).

The X11 also had its counterparts with the Phoenix SJ (HO engine from 82 on, name change from SJ to SE for final year in 84) and Skylark T-Type (HO engine starting in 83).

Most of these are very low production (under 1000 units in most years) but have been found on CL occasionally.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
10/19/13 12:09 p.m.

'91-'94 Nissan SE-R

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
10/20/13 12:15 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: '91-'94 Nissan SE-R

I vote no way in hell on the X11, but this here's got potential.

If you discount the Civic Si because they made too many, you need to think about how many Minis were manufactured.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/20/13 6:43 a.m.

In reply to Alan Cesar:

I vote "you'd better believe it" on the X-11... not because I think they were great cars, but because like the Z-24 I've already started seeing them at car shows.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
10/20/13 12:45 p.m.

I don't think that cars like the X-11 will ever be a "Beloved Classic". An oddity...A sideshow perhaps, something to go look at to cleanse the palate at a car show, so to speak, but I don't think they will ever be a beloved classic. I put them in to the MustangII category, but only FWD...Double yuck.

IMHO.

Leo

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/20/13 12:58 p.m.

Well, "beloved classic" is always in the eye of the beholder... or the owner.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
10/20/13 8:53 p.m.

+1 to all of those mentioned already and:

Don't forget the Jetta GLi 84-91 (A1 and A2 Chassis).

VW Corrado

Early Civics (kinda like a Mini)

Dodge Shelby Charger

Fiat 128

All for now....

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/20/13 9:34 p.m.

In reply to KaptKaos:

Hmm... Scirroco?

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
10/20/13 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I thought that Scirocco (correct spelling ) was already mentioned. Having owned two, you'd find me hard pressed to disagree.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/21/13 6:44 p.m.

How did we forget this one?

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
10/21/13 7:54 p.m.

If they're not already, Toronado:

Eldorado:

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/22/13 7:21 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Alan Cesar: I vote "you'd better believe it" on the X-11... not because I think they were great cars, but because like the Z-24 I've already started seeing them at car shows.

I've seen a restomod example of an X-11 show up before, too.

Can't believe I forgot the Corrado and Scirocco, or the Sentra SE-R.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/22/13 9:38 a.m.

Now bear with me... The Olds Achieva SCX and the Olds Cutlass Calais 442. Only because you could get the about the same amount of horsepower out of the same size engine (2.3 H.O. Quad 4) as a E30 M3 at about the same year and a manual gear box.

Okay, maybe it won't be a classic, but it's interesting to note the engine against the high and mighty E30 M3's engine from the same period.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/22/13 11:02 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:
I vote no way in hell on the X11, but this here's got potential. If you discount the Civic Si because they made too many, you need to think about how many Minis were manufactured.

I'm not sure it matters as much how many of something were made as it does how many are left. In the case of the Civic si, between rust, rice, and race cars, there aren't all that many nice examples left. And wait until the generation that lusted after them in their teens gets into their 40's..

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/22/13 12:13 p.m.
RossD wrote: Now bear with me... The Olds Achieva SCX and the Olds Cutlass Calais 442. Only because you could get the about the same amount of horsepower out of the same size engine (2.3 H.O. Quad 4) as a E30 M3 at about the same year and a manual gear box. Okay, maybe it won't be a classic, but it's interesting to note the engine against the high and mighty E30 M3's engine from the same period.

I don't think that's crazy at all. We had an Achieva SCX as a project car back when they were new, and JG still mourns that thing.

Margie

midniteson
midniteson Reader
10/23/13 4:23 a.m.

Dodge neon ACR.

Storz
Storz Dork
10/23/13 8:41 a.m.
RossD wrote: Now bear with me... The Olds Achieva SCX and the Olds Cutlass Calais 442. Only because you could get the about the same amount of horsepower out of the same size engine (2.3 H.O. Quad 4) as a E30 M3 at about the same year and a manual gear box. Okay, maybe it won't be a classic, but it's interesting to note the engine against the high and mighty E30 M3's engine from the same period.

Same engine as the Beretta GTU/GTZ as well.

How about the Allante'?

Rupert
Rupert Reader
10/23/13 9:24 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Matt,

Glad you mentioned the CRX SI. I had an '85 and it was a ball. The kid I sold it to was a Dominos delivery guy who used it for that purpose. As of the last time I talked to him, the CRX had over 300,000 miles & was still doing fine. The only "major" repair to date was a radiator at about 250,000!

BTW: I feel like I should carry a picture of my old SI with me when I go to meets and shows. No one seems to realize the CRX SI was first sold here as a '85 model. They only remember them in the 2nd generation CRXS that started in '89.

travellering
travellering New Reader
10/23/13 9:09 p.m.

In my driveway at the moment is a 91 Saab 900 convertible, an 88 SAAB SPG/aero, an 85 Citroen CX estate, an 84 Mini 1000, an 81 Citroen CX GTI, a 74 Mini converted into a ute, and a 66 Mini Traveller. I just don't think I would have the good fortune for all of them to become valued collector pieces before I drive them into the ground....

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
10/24/13 5:36 a.m.

Rupert,

My Mom handed down her 84 CRX HF to me. Wonderful car. I miss it. I think the orginal CRXs, esp. the SI will fetch good money in the future.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/24/13 8:18 a.m.
KaptKaos wrote: In reply to Ian F: I thought that Scirocco (correct spelling ) was already mentioned. Having owned two, you'd find me hard pressed to disagree.

Ya they are not being considered classics i don't think, they can be had for pennies on top of you never even seeing them for sale... there obviously must be no demand. Meanwhile Corrados from a decade later are steadily becoming more so by the month.

I think Integra Type-Rs might be considered classics in the future, they already hold their value very well.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/24/13 8:24 a.m.
Rupert wrote: In reply to MadScientistMatt: Matt, Glad you mentioned the CRX SI. I had an '85 and it was a ball. The kid I sold it to was a Dominos delivery guy who used it for that purpose. As of the last time I talked to him, the CRX had over 300,000 miles & was still doing fine. The only "major" repair to date was a radiator at about 250,000! BTW: I feel like I should carry a picture of my old SI with me when I go to meets and shows. No one seems to realize the CRX SI was first sold here as a '85 model. They only remember them in the 2nd generation CRXS that started in '89.

I'm nitpicking, but the 2nd gen CRX-si came out in '88, not '89. The Civic si didn't come out until '89.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
10LMgCkS2Bs5PztMTBJyc8l7Hw8xucwCYhZbIjBJXuNjWOL54vDfqakUvIVaSSLY