Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/22/23 8:29 a.m.

Wind in the hair. Timeless styling. Heirloom build quality. Room for just two.

From 1963 all the way up through 1989, Mercedes-Benz offered a pair of roadsters that perfectly fit that bill.

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/22/23 11:16 a.m.

The 190s were heavy and underpowered.

The 230s were nice touring cars.

The later versions like the 450s (made until 1980) are also heavy - both in weight and on gas, but are very civilized touring cars especially if you have both soft and hard tops.  Not huge power - 220-240 bhp and somewhat heavy (around 3300 lbs., although that looks pretty good today when 2 seater 4 cylinder models can top 4000 lbs.)

Frankly I'd rather own a Mk 2 Jaguar sedan (that I'd had rustproofed).

Robool
Robool New Reader
6/22/23 12:14 p.m.

To my knowledge the last SL that had a 4 cyl was the 190.  230's had a six this side of the Atlantic.  They were, and are, beautiful machines.  Watch for rust.  

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/23/23 8:44 a.m.

Robool:  What he said.

Years back I had occasion to look at a well used 230SL that was offered for sale.  I was impressed with the almost 360 degree visibility from the driver's seat with the hardtop on.   I was not impressed with the partial view of the ground directly below the driver's  feet.  Looked great from a distance, but I hope whoever bought it liked to weld...

Automobilist
Automobilist New Reader
9/18/23 2:39 p.m.

All W113 SL's world wide were built with six cylinder engines, not four as the article claims.  As mentioned above, the only one with a four was the porky 190SL. 

To me, the only downside to a W113 is the high price, they are absolutely delightful to drive.

My choice was an early 450SL.  I searched for and found a slightly wrecked '73.  It had the exact combination I wanted: the trim "euro" style bumpers, power windows, blue with dark blue leather seats.  After a five year restoration, it's stunning, and drives beautifully. 

haringmp
haringmp New Reader
1/25/24 11:17 a.m.

NEITHER!!!

Where we live in the upper Midwest there is only one choice for top down driving in a limited warm weather season - the SLK series!!!!!

porschenut
porschenut Dork
1/28/24 8:16 a.m.

None of the above.  My 1990 300SL with the twin cam motor and 5 speed manual.  Even an overweight car is fun with a stick and 6500 RPM redline.  The mercedes version of vtec works and that motor was a joy at 6K.  

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
8/3/24 3:05 p.m.

I described that event as "the best day I ever had at work."

Or maybe that was just the 1957 300SL that capped off my drive.

I was covering Pebble for "The Star," the Mercedes club publication, and had the joy of piloting ralph Wagenknecht along 17-Mile Drive. It brought memories of "With Moss in the Mille Miglia," which I read for the first time at about age eight.

Definitely worth meeting that particular hero.

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
8/3/24 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Automobilist :

That's the same color combination as my mom's much-loved, direct-import 1982 280SL (which did have the twin-cam 2.8L six). Wonderful car to drive. And even the Euro bumpers! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EOfTOXoQ4juSZg6c2A9aU2qi4Sd1zWbxxkJKjQJGKdM8J1YQy4KW6vE0kQqErTC5