1 2
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/5/12 8:51 a.m.

Like title says...

There's something rattling under the car, only over bumps or rough pavement. I've checked all the obvious things, braces and such.

Can't find anything.

I know this will be near impossible to diagnose over the internet, but just give me ideas maybe?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/5/12 8:54 a.m.

Loose nut behind the wheel?

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/5/12 8:55 a.m.

I've had a rattle over bumps (on an Accord) fixed by replacing a control arm. That meant it was either a bushing or a ball joint. Damnedest thing, and I wasn't even trying to fix the rattle, I just saw that the ball joint was worn. So I replaced the control arm and the rattle went away. Check your ball joints for wear.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 8:55 a.m.

Under, not "in."

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 8:58 a.m.
dculberson wrote: I've had a rattle over bumps (on an Accord) fixed by replacing a control arm. That meant it was either a bushing or a ball joint. Damnedest thing, and I wasn't even trying to fix the rattle, I just saw that the ball joint was worn. So I replaced the control arm and the rattle went away. Check your ball joints for wear.

Suspension is all good, ball joints and bushings look new.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/5/12 8:58 a.m.

Heat shields are often the culprit. Make sure the exhaust is clear of everything.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 9:00 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Heat shields are often the culprit. Make sure the exhaust is clear of everything.

You might be on to something here... there's a silver shield under the exhaust between the exhaust and the butterfly bracing that looks awfully close to the exhaust...

But it's not bent at all and is tightened down as it should be. Exhaust is also solid and not moving around.

I'll check it again, though, thanks!

njansenv
njansenv Dork
7/5/12 9:05 a.m.

Sway bar end links?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/5/12 9:07 a.m.

Did you change brake pads recently or do any work on the brakes? If you don't use the clips, springs, etc. for the pads, they will often rattle a bunch too.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/5/12 9:09 a.m.

turn the radio up?

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 9:12 a.m.
njansenv wrote: Sway bar end links?

Also look brand new with no play.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 9:13 a.m.
CGLockRacer wrote: Did you change brake pads recently or do any work on the brakes? If you don't use the clips, springs, etc. for the pads, they will often rattle a bunch too.

Nope, haven't done anything relating to brakes, but i did check that, since i had a similar issue for almost 2 years on my Celica. But that's a different noise.

This is a definite metal-on-metal rattle.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
7/5/12 12:06 p.m.

My brother in law had a problem with the heat shields rattling on his Mazda3, so maybe a familial problem?

Hal
Hal Dork
7/5/12 12:16 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: You might be on to something here... there's a silver shield under the exhaust between the exhaust and the butterfly bracing that looks awfully close to the exhaust... But it's not bent at all and is tightened down as it should be. Exhaust is also solid and not moving around.

I had a problem with a heat shield where the fasteners were tight but the holes in the shield were oversize from wear and the heat shield could still move around.

Also some of these heat shields are pretty flimsy and can flex and hit something under the right conditions.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 12:26 p.m.

The more i think about it, the more i bet it's that shield.

I'm wondering if i even need it.

Hal
Hal Dork
7/5/12 12:36 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: The more i think about it, the more i bet it's that shield. I'm wondering if i even need it.

If it is over the catalytic convertor I would try to keep it. If it is just over a part of the exhaust you can probably get rid of it. I got rid of the one over my muffler at the rear of the exhaust system.

Take it off and see if that solves the problem. If it does then you can decide whether to replace it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 12:55 p.m.
Hal wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: The more i think about it, the more i bet it's that shield. I'm wondering if i even need it.
If it is over the catalytic convertor I would try to keep it. If it is just over a part of the exhaust you can probably get rid of it. I got rid of the one over my muffler at the rear of the exhaust system. Take it off and see if that solves the problem. If it does then you can decide whether to replace it.

Doesn't go over the cat i don't think. I'll go ahead and try your plan.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/5/12 12:58 p.m.
Hal wrote: Take it off and see if that solves the problem. If it does then you can decide whether to replace it.

Or you can be like me and take off all the heatshields to find a rattle and never get around to replacing them when it doesn't solve the problem. Then strip your interior and cook your leg on the extremely hot bare transmission tunnel.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 12:59 p.m.

Well, at least i'm pretty positive that it's not a heatshield that's OVER the exhaust, so my legs are safe.

Except for the fact that my shifter boots are completely destroyed.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/5/12 1:01 p.m.

Yea...that's another thing I need to do.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 1:05 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Yea...that's another thing I need to do.

I didn't want to pull off the leather boot and see what was underneath.

Yuuupppp another $100 down the drain.

Also wish i hadn't ordered three quarter of Redline trans fluid. Apparently the 6 speeds don't have turret fluid to change?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/5/12 1:45 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Under, not "in."

Hey, how am I supposed to know where the nut is??

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/5/12 1:51 p.m.

Replace the carribeaner holding your chrome truck nuts to the tow hook with rip chord or something along those line.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/5/12 2:12 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Replace the carribeaner holding your chrome truck nuts to the tow hook with rip chord or something along those line.

This seems perfectly logical.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/5/12 3:16 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Replace the carribeaner holding your chrome truck nuts to the tow hook with rip chord or something along those line.

How did you know that was me?!?!?!?!?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Luslpktc2dL8C3Wq8udQbJfydgHZaRT1AYnUPkTSD2LLEIK818WWV7mfznhv8QV