David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/24 3:40 p.m.
feature_image

What happens when you pack a ton of cool cars into a relatively small area? You start taking photos–at least we do. Here are 10 of our favorites from the past weekend in Amelia Island, Florida, and of course we’d love to hear yours.

A few years ago, legendary NASCAR crew chief Ray Evernham built something called the Ghost–an old-school-looking …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
3/4/24 4:06 p.m.

And, really, this could have been our hundred favorite cars. So many cool cars there. 

This one blew a head gasket. I got to help push it off the show grounds–and then down the block and through an intersection. 

Without clicking this link, can you ID it?

Hint: It’s from the Lane Motor Museum, and that’s Jeff Lane hooking up the tow strap. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/5/24 10:24 a.m.

There's something about that Ferrari 348 that epitomizes the era.

David S. Wallens
3/5/24 10:59 a.m.

How about a bonus car–although, really, this should have been a list a hundred cars. (Who assigned this story?)

The Porsche 911 GTI-98–like, the Le Mans-winning Porsche 911 GT1-98–sat on the Radwood show field: no ropes, no handlers. There was a sign, though, saying DO NOT TOUCH. 

The black 996 parked beside it? As the show wound down, the owner parked next to the GT1 for the photo op. 

Jettaman
Jettaman New Reader
3/5/24 5:59 p.m.

What motor is in that Hewson Rocket? Some type of flathead?

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/24 6:41 p.m.

Love the Yellow Lancer Evo V GSR.

That's the sweet spot for Evos IMNSHO. Virtually identical to the Evo VI, but with less fussy front end ... and no "TME Tax" price premium 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
3/5/24 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Jettaman :

Ford V8 I think it was originally the 100H.P. variety, but not certain.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/5/24 7:55 p.m.
LanEvo said:

That's the sweet spot for Evos IMNSHO. Virtually identical to the Evo VI, but with less fussy front end ... and no "TME Tax" price premium 

I talked with the owner. Turns out he lives here in Gainesville. He bought it recently and was rushing to get it ready for the show. 

David S. Wallens
3/5/24 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Jettaman :

Yes, flathead V8.

David S. Wallens
3/5/24 10:24 p.m.
dyintorace said:
LanEvo said:

I talked with the owner. Turns out he lives here in Gainesville. He bought it recently and was rushing to get it ready for the show. 

And was very nice to talk to as well. Yeah, Evo Vs are pretty rad. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/5/24 11:10 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The GT1 is the Valhalla car at our house.

David S. Wallens
3/6/24 11:08 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The GT1 is the Valhalla car at our house.

I once did a shoot on the Rohr GT1. It was very cool to have full access to it. 

Somewhere I have a GT1-98 slot car. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QMbEPZ0xbBFbkzxkjU1DJi19Vvs5K67osyuZPM6hFd2NhScMOntSjY4w3YRe1yFe