1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/18/13 11:03 a.m.

I'm looking for some tires for my mustang. Something I can use on the street and do an occasional autocross or track event with. I've checked every source I know of, and the only tires I can find are Hoosier or Goodyear race tires. That and the BFG T/A's I have on it now. Is there anything else? Something inbetween these tires? The sizes are 215/60-15 and 245/60-15. Before I go an buy another set of wheels for race tires, I'd really like to know for sure that there isn't any other dual purpose tires available. I'd appreciate any help.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/13 11:16 a.m.

Good luck...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/18/13 11:43 a.m.

You're screwed man

If it makes you feel any better, I was just looking at what my options are for tires on the 'rolla if I do all the mods to fit something wider than 195, and there's nothing of worthwhile width that won't make it look like a donk.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
2/18/13 11:59 a.m.

Just give up and buy a set of 17's. It sucks big, but NOBODY makes decent 60 series tires anymore. My Camaro, I bought 16s a decade or so ago, and now I have to go to 17s to get decent street tires.

There are several dedicated race sizes in big 50 series 16s, but doodly squat for good dual purpose tires.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/13 12:13 p.m.

Dunlop dizzera, Khumo Estas, BFG G-force, Falken Azenia. All pretty good street tires that don't melt when they get hot.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/18/13 12:22 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Dunlop dizzera, Khumo Estas, BFG G-force, Falken Azenia. All pretty good street tires that don't melt when they get hot.

In those sizes? For the front the best non-R-comp tire I could find is a Pirelli P6000 which is barely better than your average all-season.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/18/13 12:23 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Dunlop dizzera, Khumo Estas, BFG G-force, Falken Azenia. All pretty good street tires that don't melt when they get hot.

I don't believe any of those are made in the sizes I need. If you know differently, please post a link. Thanks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/13 12:29 p.m.

Did you know you can view a list of all available tire sizes on Tire Rack? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/sizes/index.jsp

Kinda handy when you're looking for oddball options.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/13 12:29 p.m.

Falken makes the Ziex 512 and Ziex 912 in the 215/60/15 size. Those work well on the street, and are okay on a track. They won't help much with autocross. FWIW, the 912 was GRM's favorite cheap tire in a comparo. They are also available in a 225/60/15. Nothing bigger though.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/18/13 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Yes, already did that with no luck. But Tire Rack doesn't sell every brand of tire out there, which is why I'm asking here.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/18/13 12:59 p.m.

I thought I was the only one still rolling on 14" and 15" wheels anymore, and ready to spit out my DD's summer tire - Yokohama S-Drive. But the 15" only goes up to 205/50 and 55. Carry on...

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/18/13 2:21 p.m.

seems I'm missing something here ... why can't you loose a shorter tire ?

all the top rated ( current and the next gen) a-x tires come in 205-50 and most in 225-45-15

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/18/13 2:24 p.m.
wbjones wrote: seems I'm missing something here ... why can't you loose a shorter tire ? all the top rated ( current and the next gen) a-x tires come in 205-50 and most in 225-45-15

Sometimes going to that shorter tire does less-than-desirable things to gearing.

A short tire like that on a Mustang sounds awful to me, but then again i've never tried it.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/18/13 2:26 p.m.
wbjones wrote: seems I'm missing something here ... why can't you loose a shorter tire ? all the top rated ( current and the next gen) a-x tires come in 205-50 and most in 225-45-15

Because I don't want to drive a skate board.
It really needs 25" or taller tires to not only look right, but to work with the existing gearing, steering and suspension.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/18/13 2:40 p.m.

Does Coker tire carry anything (I think they sell Avon tires which are more performance oriented) that might work for you?

America's Tire and 1010tires are both sites that I've searched in the past when looking for something odd in size that Tirerack doesn't seem to carry.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/18/13 2:43 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Are you sure about Coker carrying Avon? I don't think they do. I'll check out the two other suggestions you made, as I haven't yet. Thanks!

turboswede
2/18/13 2:57 p.m.

I had thought I read that in the magazine a while back, but I'm only going off memory, so obviously you'll want to double check.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
2/18/13 3:01 p.m.

It's beginning to look like 225/60-15's are becoming extinct. Kumho used to have an all season ECSTA ASX in that size, but looks like it's either an LX or Solus now.

I run 225/60-15's on the front of my Barracuda. Currently have Mickey Thompson S/T's, but they don't have a 225/60 listed anymore. They don't have anything in their S/R line that's 25" diameter, but they do have a couple 26's for a 15" rim.

turboswede
2/18/13 3:03 p.m.

Sounds like it is time to switch to a spare set of wheels with slicks or larger diameter wheels (go plus 1 or plus 2)

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/18/13 3:05 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Because I don't want to drive a skate board. It really needs 25" or taller tires to not only look right, but to work with the existing gearing, steering and suspension.

ok ... answers the question

btp76
btp76 Reader
2/18/13 3:50 p.m.

I just watched a Hot Rod video of a 70ish Cuda on pikes peak. He had BFG drag radials on the back. I've heard of people autocrossing with them on all four corners. They make 235 60 15s and 275 50 15s. Mickey Thompson offers similar sizes.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/18/13 4:10 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to turboswede: Are you sure about Coker carrying Avon? I don't think they do. I'll check out the two other suggestions you made, as I haven't yet. Thanks!

Yeah I believe they only sell motorcycle tires in the states now, I remember picking up some Avons on clearance in 2007, I got two 205/50/15s for 85 dollars...

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
2/18/13 4:22 p.m.
btp76 wrote: I just watched a Hot Rod video of a 70ish Cuda on pikes peak. He had BFG drag radials on the back. I've heard of people autocrossing with them on all four corners. They make 235 60 15s and 275 50 15s. Mickey Thompson offers similar sizes.

I'm pretty sure Jess (with the 'Cuda) lurks here. They weren't drag radials, they were plain old street T/A Radials, the white letter ones.

I autocrossed my Barracuda on my old T/A Radials once. Wasn't the grippiest tire out there, but they made some great noise and I had a blast.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/13 4:33 p.m.

I found some DOT Hoosiers in your sizes, but those will be way on the "race" end of the spectrum. Notice they have the Vintage & Historic sizes as well.

Goodyear lists the Eagle VIntage & Eagle Rain in good sizes.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/13 7:53 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Because I don't want to drive a skate board. It really needs 25" or taller tires to not only look right, but to work with the existing gearing, steering and suspension.

AIM tire seems to indicate that you can get a Toyo R-888 in 235/50R15, which is a 24.25 inch diameter. Not sure that's close enough (or streetable enough)...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
spCxOsXGcMMvcAOw3kdiY4VYExhxhvX7Xf391ChB8Ufn9HgrveErfeqOdXUBatOf