Fuzzylogic
Fuzzylogic
2/2/10 5:06 p.m.

Any ideas? I need something for commuting on, mostly just around town and occasionally on the highway for reasonable distances. I'd like it to be easy to work on, easy to find parts for, get reasonable gas mileage... And if it can look cool, that'd be awesome too. Having SOME way to carry at least a backpack's worth of stuff, conveniently..

So for under $1500 can I actually get onto something like that or am I asking too much? It'll obviously be my first, but I'm 30 and I kinda want to try it out in some form or another.

Welcome any thoughts, I'm in Oregon, thanks.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west New Reader
2/2/10 5:15 p.m.

The moto equivalent to the miata is either the 250 ninja or the sv650.

Both should be easy to find and will hold value well.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/10 5:38 p.m.

A Ninja 500 will last you a lot longer than a 250 without reaching dumb-fast sportbike levels. Honda HawkGT (NT650) is also a good choice.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
2/2/10 6:48 p.m.

You can easily find a decent bike for $1500. '80 Universal Japanese Motorbike (UJM) would fit all your requirements, i'd think.

Kawasaki KZ-whatever Suzuki GS-whatever Honda CB-whatever Yamaha XS or XJ

I think you would have a harder time finding a nice Ninja EX500 or SV650 for $1500...

Is this your first bike? I'd stick w/ something between 400-550cc. My first bike was a KZ440, comfortable, bulletproof, ran 70mph on the highway (but liked 55-60 alot better).

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/10 7:35 p.m.
Fuzzylogic wrote: I'd like it to be easy to work on, easy to find parts for, get reasonable gas mileage...

Try to find something that says "Honda" on it.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/2/10 8:27 p.m.

As of 2 days ago there was a CBR600 F2 on jax CL for 800obo, owner claimed it needed carbs synced still a good bike for the afore mentioned needs.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
2/2/10 8:41 p.m.

Triple your budget and I'll hook you up with a sweet low-mile Katana with full touring gear...

alex
alex Dork
2/2/10 10:20 p.m.

Buy Japanese and buy the newest, best example of whatever floats your boat. Between the Big 4 there's not much to go wrong. Bear in mind that your consumables (tires, chain, brake pads, maybe fork seals) can easily add up to several hundred bucks if you need to do them all at once. Again, buy the best you can.

SV's are great starter bikes, and I'd suggest you save up for a good example of an early one. That's a bike you can learn on comfortably, and you can modify it to perform better as you become a better rider. They will be popular in amateur racing for many years because they sold so well, so you won't get left out in the cold for parts in 10 years.

Personally, I'd avoid any Yamaha older than the '90s, only because their parts tend to get really expensive when you go older than that. Dunno why, but that's just the way it is.

Don't forget to budget for gear. There's good stuff available at low prices these days, but for a boots, jacket, gloves and a helmet, you'll still be looking at around $300 if you buy new. (Look at Sparx helmets; they're fantastic for the price.)

Best way to carry a backpack's worth of stuff is...in a backpack. I highly recommend an Aerostich courier bag. The big one. Yes, it's expensive, but you won't need another one for at least 10 years. Seriously.

And you know, we have a Sprockets forum just for this kind of question...

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/3/10 12:17 a.m.

I will forever sing the praises of the Honda Shadow VLX 600. It really looks VERY nice. It has very nice cruiser lines... kinda like a full-size cruiser in 7/8 size. I rode one for 30k miles and loved the heck out of it. I'm 6'1" and 240, so it wasn't a luxo highway cruiser, but it did the trick. Do yourself a favor and find the factory "deluxe" seats. The regular flat seats are brutal for both passenger and driver. The deluxe seats are at least very good for the driver and acceptable for small-assed bitches.

The four speed tranny is a bit limited on the top end, but well-suited to town duty and normal highway cruising. I could tuck hard and make 85 mph, but it didn't like it. In the 30k I owned mine, I changed the plugs once, the air filter once, the tires a few times, and the oil about 8 times. Super cheap to own. Right at the end I was getting close to needing a chain, but I let the new owner deal with that.

A few years later i straddled a customer's VLX and was reminded (even though I had owned several crotch rockets, riden several harleys, and a few classic BMWs) that the VLX is a very comfortable commuter, reliable, and has respectable looks.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
2/3/10 1:29 a.m.

You might want to look into Yamaha FZR600s. I owned one as my first bike and it was great to me. I only paid $1500 in 2003 for mine, so I am sure you can get onto a nice one for $1500 today!

Fuzzylogic
Fuzzylogic New Reader
2/3/10 1:35 a.m.

I like the hell out've the looks of this bike.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1581841051.html

1979 honda cbc650

Curtis, I like the looks of that thing. I kinda want just a blacked out Mad Max type lookin' rough bike, haha. Something I can just play with and enjoy while I learn, whatever.

Anyway I did a search for Shadows in my area, not so sure..

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/1554381345.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/1574839962.html

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/1578700945.html

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
2/3/10 5:28 a.m.

One of the road bikes that the ADV rider crowd worships is the Honda Nighthawk. They are near bulletproof, good looking, comfortable, and even the most recent version in 750cc I have seen offered at your $1500 ceiling if you look long enough. The older 1980s shaft drive version of the Nighthawk absolutely can be found within your price range. Good source for info: Nighthawk history I've always had excellent service from the Honda bikes I've owned and will probably get one of these if I decide to get a road bike.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/10 6:35 a.m.

That Nighthawk 750 is probably the best UJM value of the 90's.

Josh
Josh Dork
2/3/10 6:49 a.m.

Did somebody say Nighthawk? Yes, they are great bikes. Mine is of the '80s shaft drive variety, but the '90s versions are good bikes too, and probably easier to find in good condition at this point. I have about $1200 into the bike in my Readers Rides, including the $550 purchase price. If you like your styling a little sportier, look for a CB700SC Nighthawk S. Also shaft drive, with an extra 50cc, and a neat little mini-fairing. Not that much faster though, and probably harder to keep in your price range.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/3/10 9:07 a.m.

my $.02 is to stay away for the yamaha XJ's they are great bikes for the money, (simple air cooled motor and limited gadgets) but they are not for cold climates. i live in Georgia and in the summer it still takes 5 minutes to reach operating temperature. until then, the bike stalls and spurts and sucks to ride in traffic. i cant imagine it would be happy most of the year in oregon! my vote is for the shadow or an SV. both great choices.

mkiisupra
mkiisupra New Reader
2/3/10 10:04 a.m.

+1 on the Nighthawk! Just picked up a cherry 84 Nighthawk S 700 last fall, for... you guessed it $1500. My roommate liked the 'hawk she used for mc safety class. Yes budget for gear, budget for gear, budget for gear, and make sure insurance premiums are paid.

Eric G

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez New Reader
2/3/10 12:02 p.m.

If this is your first bike, #1 thing is learning to ride properly. If you start out on something too big or powerful, you're gonna put too much effort into tiptoeing around instead of learning the ropes. Ninja 250. No parts worries, cheap & lots of utility. I started on a 600 and I wish I didn't.

alex
alex Dork
2/3/10 12:29 p.m.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginning Rider Course. If you haven't already, sign up now. They fill up fast, and spring is around the corner. Aside from growing up on dirtbikes and being taught to ride before you could walk, the MSF class is the best introduction to motorcycles out there.

When you're looking, don't forget: you're going to drop this bike. More than once. I wouldn't recommend something covered in plastic bodywork, or anything else you'd be devastated to scratch up and bend.

The Ninja 250 is a great starter bike, but to my mind, it's a limited platform and it's overpriced. Everybody knows they're great first bikes, so prices stay high for what you're getting. And what you're getting is a willing little bike, but there's not a lot of room for it to grow with you as your skill develops. Of course, you may prefer that route, which is totally valid. Just putting it out there.

mkiisupra
mkiisupra New Reader
2/3/10 12:51 p.m.

About how big are you? Your size will definitely have an effect on what is appropriate as a first bike. Have you ridden any type of bike off or on road? Cheap enduros are an option as well, smaller bikes with ability to go off road if wanted. If you start on a 250, and you're over 200# you'll be limited as you improve your skills, like alex says above. At 225#, my first bike 83 Virago 750 was very doable. My student has a Ninja 250 as a starter, he's in the big boy club (200# +) and he already thinks that it may be too small, however he's 17, at that age there's never enough power. I do have a 67 honda s90 you might want to try ;)

Eric G

Fuzzylogic
Fuzzylogic New Reader
2/3/10 1:06 p.m.

There are so many choices and model numbers haha. I'm liking the look of the Ninja 250s and the Nighthawks right now.. I still really like that '79 Honda I put up above, the low look of it..

I'm 5'9" and 165lbs. Never ridden a bike. I'm 30 and just want to use it for quick jumps around town, and a few times a week 20 miles to the city, and back later..

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/3/10 2:52 p.m.

Plenty of great bikes out there for $1,500 or less. I bought my 85 Interceptor 500 for that price, and it has been a great bike.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I have a friend selling his 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 for under a grand. He's had it over 20 years and it has been very meticulously maintained. He's in Rockford IL. (lots of great bikes can be found in the Midwest as they are only used 1/2 the year)

pm me if you are interested.

Fuzzylogic
Fuzzylogic New Reader
2/3/10 3:17 p.m.

I'm in Oregon, unfortunately!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E9d7CkxoEUGPRy06h9kgSYXIDNtUrVQmro4Lgs6q1ET779NCFKoV1fUHBmmzw9ju