1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/2/12 3:29 p.m.

These are your only two choices. There are no other cars that exist. Which one and why?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/2/12 3:31 p.m.

2000-2003.

I like the higher redline.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/2/12 4:07 p.m.

2004-2009

I like having (at least a little) torque. The later cars seem less twitchy and useable as a daily. For track use, the earlier car may be more exciting.

note---- neither car is good to spend the night in.....ask me how I know

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/2/12 4:12 p.m.

I've driven both with a view to buying one and I'd also go for the later one. The slightly torquier engine makes a big difference and it just feels more planted than the AP1.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/2/12 4:55 p.m.

Depends on what you want:

Ap1s are very tail happy, which is a hoot in a track setting. But may intimidate some as a DD. Longer gearing in the early years equates to downshifting to 1st frequently if you autocross. I personally like the looks of the earlier models

Ap2s have a revised rear suspension geometry that makes them more stable than the earlier models, engine has 10 more torques, and shorter 1-4 gearing. 06 and up models have a flashable ecu, which is a big advantage over the earlier years.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/2/12 7:22 p.m.

I have never driven either, although I sat in an early one once and was smitten, which is saying something, as I was not a Honda guy at that time.

If I was going to track it it would be early, if I was going to mostly street drive it it would be later, based on my limited understanding of the suspension and engine differences.

Chet
Chet New Reader
7/2/12 7:35 p.m.

I bought a 2000 S2000 when it first came out and still have the car. The Gen1 S2000 is more fun in my opinion due to the higher redline and overall balance of the car.

One modification that is needed however is to use the later door panels to gain more elbow room.

The Gen1 S2000 is a great car that is a better driving car than most other cars costing much more.

Chet

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/2/12 7:47 p.m.

I have driven and raced both, and personally I don't see enough difference between the two to really judge one better than the other. I would just recommend driving both and see for yourself. They're both fun as hell so you'll be happy either way.

What do you plan to do with it anyways? DD? Track car? autocross? D- all of the above?

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
7/2/12 9:40 p.m.

I have this never-ending S2000 vs. Miata argument going on in my head.

rotard
rotard Dork
7/2/12 9:43 p.m.

When did they get the glass rear window?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/2/12 9:53 p.m.

In reply to rotard:

2002 was the start of glass back windows. However, you can get glass replacement tops for the early ones.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
7/2/12 11:56 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I have driven and raced both, and personally I don't see enough difference between the two to really judge one better than the other. I would just recommend driving both and see for yourself. They're both fun as hell so you'll be happy either way. What do you plan to do with it anyways? DD? Track car? autocross? D- all of the above?

This.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/3/12 7:47 a.m.
ptmeyer84 wrote: I have this never-ending S2000 vs. Miata argument going on in my head.

Having spent a bunch of time in both...

The S2000 is a better car. More solid, handles better, just feels better.

The Miata is a better toy.

If i were after performance and to be like Richard Hammond and "feel like a driving God," i'd buy an S2000 over a Miata any day.

But i was out to have fun, so i bought a Miata. S2000 was a little too "Serious Business" for me.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
7/3/12 8:12 a.m.

The Miata is super inexpensive to maintain and super easy for DIY work. Any of you guys have personal experience wrenching on an S2000?

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
7/3/12 8:18 a.m.

The originals. Face it, the later ones are S2200s, not S2000s. Oh, and 9K > 8K. And they look better. And have smaller, better-looking wheels. And are cheaper because they're older.

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/3/12 8:28 a.m.
nderwater wrote: The Miata is super inexpensive to maintain and super easy for DIY work. Any of you guys have personal experience wrenching on an S2000?

Yep!

It's about the same. Suspension is cake, brakes are cake, the engine bay is pretty easy to get around in. The only thing that looks bad is the mess of vacuum lines around the intake side, but i haven't really been in there.

It's a Honda in the end. Seems to be quite a few of them with well over 200k miles at this point, with no major issues.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/3/12 8:46 a.m.

Got both, AP1 all the way.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/3/12 9:04 a.m.

Both? The only major differences have already been touched on. Both are still competitive in Stock class (even with the CR) and also in STR. You can't go wrong.

AP1 has better autox gearing & a higher redline (magnifying the advantage)
AP2 has less rear toe change under compression
AP2 has bigger motor that makes slightly more torques. Will make slightly more HP with bolt ons
06+ ECU can be flashed

The S2000 actually requires slightly less maintenance than the Miata (no timing belt). It's just as easy to work on (easier in some regards cough oil filter cough). The top is a whore though.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/3/12 9:05 a.m.
nderwater wrote: The Miata is super inexpensive to maintain and super easy for DIY work. Any of you guys have personal experience wrenching on an S2000?

Yeah, it's easy to work on. Plus it's a Honda, so basic maintenance is all it will need. The only thing that is mildly annoying is that they have mechanical valve lash adjustment and you have to adjust them every now and then. It's not a big deal, and it's easy to do, but I do it like every third oil change. And you don't need special tools to do it (unlike what all the s2k forums will tell you), just a set of angled feeler gauges.

Suspension and brakes are easy too, but beware: hondas in general have a terrible tendency for their suspension bolts to seize up in the bushings. If you plan on doing any suspension changes, start soaking that bitch with on blaster several days in advance. I spent 6 hours on one strut bolt when I put Koni yellows on my car :x

And finally, enjoy driving a 4 banger import convertable without all the homo jokes.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/3/12 9:14 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin: I concur, replacing the top is a pain. Not exactly hard, but very time consuming. Took myself and a friend 10 hours to change my top.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/3/12 9:22 a.m.

Miatas don't exist here. The only car that exists is the S2000.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/3/12 9:24 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: I concur, replacing the top is a pain. Not exactly hard, but very time consuming. Took myself and a friend 10 hours to change my top.

You're talking about replacing a bad soft top, right? You're not talking about the operation of the top? Just want to be clear.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/3/12 9:43 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace: Yes, replacing the top. Mine had 3 holes in it. One of which was conveniently located above the drivers seat. When I drove it in the rain, water would drip right on my crotch. Awesome.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/3/12 9:54 a.m.

Yes. Replacing the top. I paid two guys from the forums to do mine. They did a great job and didn't charge that much.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/3/12 1:04 p.m.

I still don't understand why Honda didn't change the name to the S2200 when they upped the displacement.

I know Tsuchiya was faster in the 2.2L, but I think I'd have more fun with the original rear suspension.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IIabdW4pC9ygjvDf23eOFe82nDIDU26ZHcHUCSuBP5itGNAVDY6Uq609h5Pw3fPg