1 2
KATYB
KATYB HalfDork
7/3/12 1:51 p.m.

well having gotten to spend extended time behing the wheel of an ap1 about a week ago. if its going to be a dailydriver or around town vehicle i full suggest the ap2 from what ive read. the ap1 is just so anemic under 4500. i stalled multiple times leaving stop signs ect. i do not driver a car with abundant low end tq all either normally. but compared to my old miata the ap1 felt like i was missing half the cylinders at low end.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/3/12 2:36 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I still don't understand why Honda didn't change the name to the S2200 when they upped the displacement. I know Tsuchiya was faster in the 2.2L, but I think I'd have more fun with the original rear suspension.

I always wondered about that too, but thought the s2200 sounds retarded.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/3/12 2:47 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: s2200 sounds retarded.

Come now, it's certianly no worse than QX56, LX570, WRX STi, TR7, Z4-M, 5000QV, or any of the other alphanumeric strings that make no sense to a layperson. S2200 just sounds odd to you because you haven't had time to sit with it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/3/12 3:01 p.m.

The low range of an AP1 feels anemic only because up top it's so crazy.

It has more power EVERYWHERE than a Miata, and a Miata has no problems in traffic.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/3/12 4:32 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: The low range of an AP1 feels anemic only because up top it's so crazy. It has more power EVERYWHERE than a Miata, and a Miata has no problems in traffic.

This agrees with my experience.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
7/3/12 4:40 p.m.
nderwater wrote: The Miata is super inexpensive to maintain and super easy for DIY work. Any of you guys have personal experience wrenching on an S2000?

I have only owned mine for 2 years, so no, I don't really have any experience wrenching on one. I'm not sure how to get any, short of intentionally breaking things. Well, I did put a battery in it a month ago I guess. And I've changed the oil 3 or 4 times. And I put gas in it periodically. If you think you can handle all that...

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/3/12 5:29 p.m.

I have put the S up against a Miata in every low rpm situation you can name and the S outpulls the Miata in every instance. It is the vast difference between the off VTEC and engaged that makes it feel anemic.

I had to put a 6 speed in the Miata, which effectively changes the rear end ratio to get the Miata to be able to pull past the S in a 1500 rpm pull. Of course once VTEC engaged the Miata was bye-bye in every test!

Snrub
Snrub New Reader
7/3/12 8:47 p.m.

I'd heard the transmissions are a weak point, anyone agree/disagree? I believe the RX-8 uses the same tranny. I own an RX-8.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/3/12 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Snrub: Not the trans, but the diffs are considered weak.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/3/12 10:52 p.m.

The diffs aren't considered weak, except for repeated drag strip type launches, but then again that's not the car's forte. And it's not the diff, but the case.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/4/12 8:56 a.m.

It seems that the only advantage of the early model over the late one is that it's more fun to hoon around (not faster on the track). I think I'd go with the late model.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/4/12 8:10 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I still don't understand why Honda didn't change the name to the S2200 when they upped the displacement. I know Tsuchiya was faster in the 2.2L, but I think I'd have more fun with the original rear suspension.

Just for hooning? If you put a square wheel/tire setup on the car, any S2000 will rotate like CRAZY.

<--- has 17x9 / 245s on a stock suspension right now. Holy oversteer death machine.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/4/12 10:59 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Just for hooning? If you put a square wheel/tire setup on the car, any S2000 will rotate like CRAZY. <--- has 17x9 / 245s on a stock suspension right now. Holy oversteer death machine.

This x 10000000000000000000000.

I run a square setup (255 rs3's) and had to get a front sway bar to tone down the oversteer.

imarcr
imarcr
7/5/12 11:16 a.m.

I have driven both, and I think most owners are making the differences out to be larger than they actually are. I would buy the best condition S2000 as your budget allows. That being said, the glass window is nice(02 and up) and the ability to reflash the ecu is nice(06 and up).

Build quality and chassis rigidity make this Miata owner jealous.

Probably the main thing I don't like about them is that they don't really need any mods...suspension and engine are pretty stellar right out of the box!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/5/12 11:20 a.m.

What specifically does the ECU reflash do for it?

imarcr
imarcr New Reader
7/5/12 12:22 p.m.

You can tune the car for bolt-ons or FI and probably the biggest thing is change the VTEC rpm

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/5/12 1:37 p.m.
imarcr wrote: You can tune the car for bolt-ons or FI and probably the biggest thing is change the VTEC rpm

This. A local autocrosser here flashed his CR that had basic bolt ons and saw a 20whp difference. Plus the lower vtec crossover point meant he could stay in second gear in many spots where I would be going back to first. I've not rode in it to feel the butt-dyno for myself, 20whp should make a noticeable difference.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rgqJFlZr7v7d6VTZweMuhqxVTHo7sYyRCalYyXeWNUbySr2xuzArxfJrgI1c7zIp