1 2
Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
12/30/23 6:33 a.m.

I bought a 2000 Boxster a couple years ago and have put almost 20k miles on it without any real problems.  It was cheap enough to basically be disposable when compared to what most mechanical failures would cost to fix though.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/30/23 7:42 a.m.
Tk8398 said:

I bought a 2000 Boxster a couple years ago and have put almost 20k miles on it without any real problems.  It was cheap enough to basically be disposable when compared to what most mechanical failures would cost to fix though.

The good old days when 150000 mile boxsters didn't cost 10000$.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/30/23 8:49 a.m.
gixxeropa said:

my 987.1 was faultless. It seems like the base model cars don't suffer from the same issues as the S cars. Every instance of bore scoring in the 987.1 that I've was an S. They also have an upgraded IMS that doesn't fail much.

My 987.1 S has been nearly flawless. 5 trips across country, one at triple digit average speed (2020 Covid lockdowns and no one on the roads, please don't judge me for the Coronaball Run. I could go a whole state and not see another car, it was insane).

Lost the clutch at 90k, fuel rail at about 75k (this is due to the clear engine lid and the sun), brakes are spent, and so many tires.

My Porsche mech loves the thing, says IMS is consumable so it will happen, but just absolutely loves that I drive it all the time. No winters, and it has been down all of '23 sadly, needs some work (tie rod, header gasket, rear tires) and all my other vehicles have sucked the life out of my wallet this year.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/30/23 9:32 a.m.

my buddy bought a 996 cab. The amount of time and money he spent just trying to get the convertible top to work properly told me all I needed to know. Hard pass for me. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/23 3:03 p.m.

Y'all are bumming me out in this thread. A 911 cab 6 speed is really my only dream car. 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
12/30/23 3:53 p.m.

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, it was $5900 and one of the last cheap ones I saw for sale.  The starter and ignition switch were bad (although easy to fix) so that probably scared people away from buying it.  I wouldn't pay $10k for another one whenever this one dies, I will probably get a super beetle or Corvair instead whenever that happens.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/23 11:44 a.m.

This one just popped up on FB, new engine at 109K miles, so only 30K on the "new engine". Receipt for 28k for the engine replacement, priced right but with 142K miles on the chassis, what else does it need now?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1941405019594163/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/23 12:34 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

my buddy bought a 996 cab. The amount of time and money he spent just trying to get the convertible top to work properly told me all I needed to know. Hard pass for me. 

When looking for a car for Mrs PaddyGarcia in 2016 we ended up with a Boxster just because the 996 cabrio top is such a potential PITA+wallet. The 986 mechanism is already complex, the 996 is really complicated and expen$ive.

The Boxster has been great as a DD. But she drives it 20-40 miles per day. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/23 2:15 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

Looks like the listing has already gone the way of the dodo?

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/31/23 11:55 p.m.

Does something like a car with a dead engine + this 2.7T kit make sense?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a46251418/audi-27-swap-your-996-porsche-911/

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/1/24 12:46 a.m.

If we're talking swaps https://www.facebook.com/share/EW4zCAQkhfuPrkGb/?mibextid=79PoIi

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/1/24 12:43 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

If we're talking swaps https://www.facebook.com/share/EW4zCAQkhfuPrkGb/?mibextid=79PoIi

Well that does eliminate the expensive engine failure question! But might be a little extreme for my daily. I am back to considering a Boxster, might be worth the risk verse cost consideration.

BoxheadTim
1/1/24 12:48 p.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

Maybe I'm just feeling grumpy today, but for some reason I'm not sure that replacing a Porsche engine with an Audi engine is going to be that huge an improvement in durability?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/24 2:40 p.m.

A friend of mine who works on a lot of Porsches says that Boxsters are 90% of the drive of a 996 for 30-50% of the price. He actually likes the 986 better than the 996 for long drives.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

It's certainly a way to experience Maximum Deutschness. Take an engine known for being a PITA and put it in a chassis where it's even harder to work on...

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/1/24 3:44 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

A friend of mine who works on a lot of Porsches says that Boxsters are 90% of the drive of a 996 for 30-50% of the price. He actually likes the 986 better than the 996 for long drives.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

It's certainly a way to experience Maximum Deutschness. Take an engine known for being a PITA and put it in a chassis where it's even harder to work on...

I knew that, but it seemed like the Carrera 4 911's are at that price point where they are relatively affordable, but not if a 20K engine blows on a 20K car. Boxsters can still be had for half price, so makes it easier to justify as is still just a used car. I am seeing more and more of them that have had the IMS replaced, so might just pull the trigger on one before Spring.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/1/24 4:16 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

Maybe I'm just feeling grumpy today, but for some reason I'm not sure that replacing a Porsche engine with an Audi engine is going to be that huge an improvement in durability?

My thinking was that the 2.7T would be cheaper to replace than the the Porsche 6. Sounds like if you're open to a swap, the LS swap is the way to go for cheaper operating costs (up to and including engine failure).

What's scared me away from a Porsche is the possibility of a $20k engine rebuild/replacement on a high-mileage car worth $20-30k.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/1/24 4:26 p.m.

Having owned a few Audi's with 2.7tt motors, there's NO way I'd swap one into a Porsche.  That motor has more than enough of it's own issues.  Plus you'd have to be really careful to get a motor that's newer than the chassis, otherwise you run afoul of Federal emissions laws.  I'm not sure any of these swaps are really emissions legal, how are people handling the cats (several LS swapped 996's I've seen don't have them at all), readiness monitors, fuel evap, charcoal canister, etc, etc, etc?  All that stuff is supposed to come over with the new engine, ie, NOT the 996 stuff.  I see people using aftermarket ECU's, are those smog legal?

Granted I'm still smarting from my experience with my LSx 944 turbo, but getting a non native engine swap to work in a factory way (so all gauges work, hvac with AC works, emissions stuff works, everything works) is a TON of work, time and money.  At that point you're better off not buying the car and using the purchase price cash, plus swap cash to just buy something else that's better.

BoxheadTim
1/1/24 5:04 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I don't think there are any aftermarket ECUs out there that speak OBD-2, so by definition those ECUs wouldn't be smog legal. Of course if one is living in an area where there are no smog checks, then this might be a somewhat moot point. I'm still not a fan of removing cats and the like.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
1/2/24 9:25 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Ok, that's what I thought.  That really restricts where/how you can sell the car, as it's a "track car" for some states...

dherr (Forum Supporter)
1/2/24 10:56 a.m.

After the experience with my Mazdaspeed, I am leery of aftermarket ECU's as well here in Maryland. Now if the car is 2004 or earlier, it can be tagged as a classic and that eliminates emissions testing, but definitely a problem for anything newer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xv5K7otgQid0QYGKr5Fk9rdsP01XcJxUhVJbrsDFwMvH02rxIV2cZE5gXMklvfuy