1 2
VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/24 9:48 p.m.

My next greatest idea: 200HP Two Stroke Lund 12-WC Racing BoatCar with a Corvair Powerglide Transaxle $2000 Challenge Racecar. I wonder if there is some easy way to shorten the lower unit.

I tried to get Microsoft Designer AI to draw it but it's too stupid. It did however draw me a nice race car driver in a reclining seat.

Too bad I swore I would never travel east of the Mississippi River again. smiley

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/31/24 10:18 p.m.

I think I'm as confused as the AI was. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/24 10:45 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I believe he wants to attach the propeller output of a 2stroke 200 HP Outboard drive unit to a automotive differential.  Just leave the entire drive unit in place so the powerhead is sticking all up out of the car.   Then I believe he wants to use a Lund WC-12 as the body for this unholy abomination.  

I think it would wind up looking like a Formula E car with a 2 stroke power head sticking up...

VolvoHeretic
7/31/24 10:50 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Absolutely correct. yes

Edit: The ready to use boat/body weighs something like 154 pounds. 

VolvoHeretic
8/1/24 10:14 p.m.

Ok, I find it all very confusing, but after looking at some videos of running engines, I think that a Corvair rotates clockwise looking at the flywheel. A Standard rotation boat motor also rotates clockwise looking at the prop, so an outboard motor could drive a Corvair's Powerglide 2 speed auto transaxle. I think. smiley

Of course, this would take a lot of work and fabrication to adapt the prop shaft to the flywheel and torque converter. This would still leave all of that weight sitting a mile up out of the body. 

Probably a better idea would be to just stick in a Subaru engine and transaxle and just stick an outboard motor's engine cover on the car behind the drivers seat, just for looks.  wink

Might as well us Miata front and rear suspensions also, maybe.

VolvoHeretic
8/1/24 11:47 p.m.

Here it is with a WRX engine and Transaxle.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/2/24 12:20 a.m.

If it's made out of a Lund boat it needs to have a two stroke outboard engine.  I'd go with a classic Merc 6 cylinder, just for the looks.  If that's not enough horsepower use two of them side by side.

VolvoHeretic
8/2/24 9:13 a.m.

Growing up, we had a 68 Traveler 16' 120 hp Mercury Chevy II 4 banger IO stern drive round bottomed boat that was pretty quick with a top speed in the mid 30s I guess, but our neighbor had a 14' Glastron with a 100 hp Mercury outboard 6 cylinder that was insanely fast, and dangerous for a large lake like Lake Sakakawea. Similar to this.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/2/24 9:20 a.m.

That is a lot of mass, placed very high off the ground.

Also, are you hoping it won't overheat running dry, but only for 45 seconds at a time?

Interesting concept, though.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/24 9:31 a.m.

I'm failing to see what production four wheeled vehicle this is based on.

VolvoHeretic
8/2/24 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

It would have to have a sealed enclosed cooling system with a radiator. I sure don't know all that much about outboards but I would hope that there was an easy way to remove most of the lower unit. What I need is some sort of suspension that will lean the car into the corners like happens with a boat. smiley

VolvoHeretic
8/2/24 9:39 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Custom tube frame/cage, Miata suspension geometry, Subaru or Mercury powered with Subaru or Corvair powerglide mid-engined transaxle.

I'm having trouble finding photos on the web that are taken with a straight on perspective of the various components I need so that I can crop and scale things into a cad drawing. Everybody takes artsy angled view photos. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/2/24 10:17 a.m.
Stampie said:

I'm failing to see what production four wheeled vehicle this is based on.

c4 corvette zr1 obviously. Has a boat motor in it. 

Stampie
8/2/24 11:53 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

While cool I don't think that mets the rules:

Eligible Vehicles:

Any four-wheeled, production-based vehicle that was originally sold as a passenger vehicle is allowed.

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, or they may use a tubular frame provided they retain the production body.

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

If the vehicle retains production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, then exterior bodywork modification is unlimited, provided no safety rules are violated. Production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures may be modified to alter a vehicle’s wheelbase.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/2/24 11:57 a.m.
Duke said:

That is a lot of mass, placed very high off the ground.

Also, are you hoping it won't overheat running dry, but only for 45 seconds at a time?

Interesting concept, though.

Seen several projects with radiators plumbed into boat motors.  Not that difficult. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/2/24 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Exhibition?

VolvoHeretic
8/2/24 12:49 p.m.
VolvoHeretic
8/2/24 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Eligible Vehicles:

If the vehicle retains production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, then exterior bodywork modification is unlimited, provided no safety rules are violated. Production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures may be modified to alter a vehicle’s wheelbase.

I read the above as my Lund body exemption. I just need to install a couple of rocker panels buried under the boat?

VolvoHeretic
8/2/24 1:54 p.m.

Ok, just found this 2021 Grassrootsmotorsports 2 stroke article, it should answer many of my questions. smiley

Has anyone powered a car with an outboard motor?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/2/24 2:23 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

In reply to Stampie :

Eligible Vehicles:

I read the above as my Lund body exemption. I just need to install a couple of rocker panels buried under the boat?

It is not

Eligible Vehicles:

Any four-wheeled, production-based vehicle that was originally sold as a passenger vehicle is allowed.

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, or they may use a tubular frame provided they retain the production body.

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
8/2/24 3:05 p.m.

I love this site and I'm not being snarky or backhanded to anyone.  

(Maybe not literally) but only on GRM will a thread like this exist and be taken seriously.

Sorry that I have no helpful input, but I love things I've never thought to consider before.  It helps keep the brain young.

Best of luck executing this idea!

VolvoHeretic
8/2/24 4:43 p.m.

Ok, let's just call it a Beetle?

Stampie
8/2/24 4:48 p.m.

The bug floor pan has been ruled to be enough.  In your case you won't have any " production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures".

VolvoHeretic
8/2/24 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Great then! I can float a floor pan in there no problem. It won't be hooked up to anything though.

Stampie
8/2/24 5:20 p.m.

While I agree the rules don't say that and I've joked about taping Model T frame rails to a shifter kart I don't think it would pass the don't be a dick rule personally.  YMMV.  Why not just use some factory frame rails as your bottom rail of the tube chassis?  Lots lighter than putting in a useless VW floor pan.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HV8j8m6ExcCeC5KkRIjwi5pOmh0yllY5d41Nx8kBBKOZ4ZJcwAn9h5gS7FQUOHt4