David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/24 12:36 p.m.
feature_image
  • Entrants: Cliff Sebring, Barry Miles and Bill Cuttitta
  • Event year: 1999
  • Budget spent: <$1500

When we put out the call for our first $2000 Challenge–back then, the budget limit was just $1500–we didn’t know what to expect. Would our readers get it? And would they get it enough to build a low-buck car and actually show up in Florida?  …

Read the rest of the story

BillCuttitta
BillCuttitta GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/2/24 5:32 p.m.

Why do we keep coming back? 

This. One of the best and most fun experiences I've ever had in motorsports. 

And why folks should try it for themselves - get your friends and family and try something epic together. 

We didn't win (2nd overall), but it changed *everything* for us and our families. 

bc 

prowlerjc
prowlerjc Reader
10/2/24 5:36 p.m.

Whatever happened to all Gus Mahon's turbo Dodges?

Sure miss the days of the sdml.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
10/2/24 6:15 p.m.

In reply to prowlerjc :

A friend of ours, and long time friend of Gus's, Wayne Hemingway owns Mean Mini and Slug   Mean Mini was restored and is a beast, running consistent 11's, completing at least one drag week in 2018.   Last I spoke to Wayne about Slug, it was moving up in the priority list to get a refresh  and back out on the track  

And for the record, that damn Team Mini Me van and later the silver Omni that Barry, Cliff and Bill campaigned sucked me into this widely dysfunctional family of GRM challengers...and I am glad they did.  Have made a lot of friends and had a lot of good times because of it.

See you all next spring.    

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BVhMpbCAOXHrqlRNQsZ498lTSr6WBFS6CD7gNvT7vcpJj1zToI6vV6DxM2PYQdTs