1 2 3
Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/19/11 8:20 p.m.
sevenracer wrote: Possibly against my better judgment and the popular opinion in this thread, bought the gti - really love the car. No problems so far.

My '03 TDI is closing in on 238K and I've done little more than maintenance to it. So good ones get out now and then.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/11 4:47 a.m.

My neighbour's brand new Jetta (you know, the uglier, cheaper one) has already been in the shop for a broken rear brake drum and a disintegrated power steering system.

It seems to me that with VWs, you either get an exceptional car, or a dud, from a reliability standpoint.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
1/20/11 9:39 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
sevenracer wrote: Possibly against my better judgment and the popular opinion in this thread, bought the gti - really love the car. No problems so far.
My '03 TDI is closing in on 238K and I've done little more than maintenance to it. So good ones get out now and then.

Diesel engines aren't the same kettle of fish now are they.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/20/11 9:50 a.m.
angusmf wrote:
Per Schroeder wrote: Better reliability.
I hear that every time a new model comes out. They must be the most reliable cars in the world by now.

Depends on where you started from, I suppose.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/11 10:00 a.m.

Its really too bad that VWs have so many issues, they consistently make some of the best looking cars out there.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/20/11 10:35 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: Its really too bad that VWs have so many issues, they consistently make some of the best looking cars out there.

All the local high school kids around here certainly think so, based on the number of Jettas and GTIs in the lots. They're the new civic for kids in upper-middle-class families.

The GTI also gets the nod as "car most likely to pull up next to you and try to stoplight race you"

I would tend to agree, though, that VW's in general look stylish and when I seen any of the new models I think to myself "that's a good looking car." And strangely enough I still have no interest in them at all. Could have to do with the so-so power numbers (200hp is civic power, not "hot hatch" power) combined with previous bad VW experiences.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wxZ4TQmWzQztISjltiQTl6sKbARvtaH6e2WLHJDYN9NLC1QyqNzoNsxSrJA5YCHD