JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
1/20/12 7:30 p.m.

For no good reason, I was thinking a little more about the $2011 Challenge auto-x event from last year and some comments that were made on the forum about possibly requiring more of the teams to have their own drivers run the cars in the future (rather than the "pros").

One of the big factors in previous years was the full day's worth of experience driving on the same course that the pro drivers got and how this made them even faster, then more people wanted them to drive, etc, etc...

Well, what if GRM publishes the course layout for the upcoming challenge well in advance? Then everyone would have a chance to learn the course at least a little bit before that morning. (Perhaps teams could get their local SCCA/PCA/BMWCCA chapter to use that layout once, or a team could set up the course themselves in a vacant lot, drive through a scale version in a go-kart, whatever...) I realize that this is a big jump from the traditional auto-x which really requires some memorization of the course and a careful walk-through. However, I think this makes the event more about the vehicle performance and less about the driver performance, and as far as I see it, that's really what this event is about (it's more of a car/builder's challenge, not a drivers' challenge, right?).

If everyone has had a chance to drive a similar course or at least a chance to look over the layout in advance, I think there would be a lot more incentive for folks to drive their own cars.

Thoughts?

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
1/20/12 7:43 p.m.

Wasn't the 2011 event won by a non-pro? Seems moot.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/20/12 8:24 p.m.

bad idea....just one more thing for people to fight about.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
1/20/12 8:32 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

+1

GTB_ZR1
GTB_ZR1 New Reader
1/20/12 10:11 p.m.

Heh, we set up the course in the AM, and mostly on-the-fly, winging it...

The pro drivers are they to be used--if needed, to try & maximize the performance of the cars in case a team doesn't have a 'shoe'. We try our best to squeeze everything out of the cars, and hopefully the team feels their car was driven very close to it's full potential--attempting to take the driver out of the equation. Hope that makes sense...

We do what we can, with what we've got.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
1/21/12 8:38 a.m.

I drove my own car at the Challenge and finished 6th (I think) in the AutoX. One of my favorite aspects of AutoX is that you have to find the fast way around the course with no practice. I feel that being familiar with the car is most important. If you can't find the course by the second run (at the latest) you should probably let the pro drive. I think the preview will add more complexity to the event as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WOgDEBhl1msiRGic4FiFitcyPws3Do2q8dv5QNWVXigG3gtObuiGNwnNbOFyf2jk