1 2 3
scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/29/12 12:35 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
sachilles wrote: One would think that if they can get 250 out of the 2l block, they might be able to get more from a 2.2 or 2.5l block, that should in theory fit in the same space.
In theory, no. The horsepower comes from head flow, where the horsepower is made comes from displacement. So a 2.2-2.5l variant would have a beefier yet lower in range powerband compared to a 2-liter with the same head and cams.

That seems to be assuming increasing stroke to increase displacement. A larger bore would allow for bigger valves and more overall flow.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/12 12:40 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Lightened, +50HP and a higher rev limit with a different valvetrain & exhaust, upgraded suspension, brakes and body kit. Me likey!
So: Fixed-roof S2000? I'm there.

A fixed-roof S2000 with little seaties in the back that can open to the trunk! So an S2000 that's not a toy!

Only downside it that the ride height on this is probably supercar-like. The regular model looks high but it's actually at a speedbump-scraping 5"

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/12 12:48 p.m.

So how many "BRZ STi Scks" threads do you think we'll have?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/29/12 12:49 p.m.

At least 8.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/12 1:03 p.m.

Can I compare it to a Mustang GT yet? Or still just V6 mustang.. How bout Genesis? V6 or 4cyl turbo?

Either way I want to point out how bad of a Value it is and how I would never pay any amount of money for a new car because I can buy cheap old cars.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
8/29/12 2:31 p.m.

I am surprised they would piss off their dealers by announcing this already deemed underpowered higher powered version when the current underpowered version is making the dealers a 5k premium and selling like hot cakes at that .

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/12 3:00 p.m.

I think it provides a good factory option that allows you to keep the car stock, yet improve performance. Of course, you could go entirely aftermarket and tailor a base BRZ/FR-S to your needs. You'll have the choice of engine output, NA or FI, etc.

To me, options are good...

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/29/12 3:51 p.m.

sachilles wrote: One surprise for me was the oil filter placement. Most subies have it on the bottom and it's easy to reach. On the BRZ it is on top of the motor and upside down. I assume the filer will drain out before you remove it, just looked like it could be a mess. It did have a lip around it, so hopefully that will contain everything.

Already been covered off. Serves as its own drip tray and becomes the easiest filter you will ever change.. Now, if they would just install a key-fob operated drain plug life would be sweet. The underside of this thing looks like a dog's-breakfast.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
8/29/12 4:03 p.m.
sachilles wrote: One surprise for me was the oil filter placement. Most subies have it on the bottom and it's easy to reach. On the BRZ it is on top of the motor and upside down. I assume the filer will drain out before you remove it, just looked like it could be a mess. It did have a lip around it, so hopefully that will contain everything.

I think it's that way on all the new subies. My 2012 Subaru forester has it there, it is the easiest car I've ever changed the oil on. The forester is obviously a bit higher off the ground, I had it on ramps but think I could've done without since the nose curves up.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
8/29/12 5:14 p.m.

+50hp and a FAT torque curve...

+50 hp and the same, or worse torque curve

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/29/12 5:30 p.m.
Shaun wrote: I am surprised they would piss off their dealers by announcing this already deemed underpowered higher powered version when the current underpowered version is making the dealers a 5k premium and selling like hot cakes at that .

The original article looks like it was referencing another article in Autoweek. This doesn't look like an official announcement to me, more like the same sort of "information" we keep seeing for ND Miatas.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
8/29/12 5:34 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to Bowenaero: Must have been intended for the aussie market......they're used to doing things upside down.
You mean you guys dont have your women stand on their heads?

Let me just get my kama sutra for reference

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
8/29/12 5:37 p.m.

That might be a Toyota input...our 4Runner has the top-mounted filter with a little "shroud" around it. After you drain the oil the filter is mostly empty and the shroud catches any leftover oil and has a little drain that you just put a jar below to catch it.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
8/29/12 5:43 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I'm sure Toyota will have the same thing and call it the GTS or something.

Will that one look better? The FR-S GTS? Ha.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/12 6:14 p.m.
Winston wrote: $35k.

Worth it on the merit of the tail lights alone. Those Altezza-style lights are the worse thing about the current FRSBRZ package in my opinion.

What is it you kids are calling it these days? Played?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
8/29/12 7:23 p.m.
accordionfolder wrote:
I think it's that way on all the new subies. My 2012 Subaru forester has it there, it is the easiest car I've ever changed the oil on. The forester is obviously a bit higher off the ground, I had it on ramps but think I could've done without since the nose curves up.

My 2012 WRX has the filter hanging from the bottom of the engine. Conveniently covered up by the plastic undertray that has to be removed to access the filter. Why could they not put a trap door in the under tray?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/12 8:17 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Only downside it that the ride height on this is probably supercar-like. The regular model looks high but it's actually at a speedbump-scraping 5"

We had a BRZ at a local rallycross recently.

He didn't compete in it (he did note that the rally tires and wheels from his WRX would fit...) but he was able to make it up the steep, rocky, and rutted hill of an access road without complaint. And he did it the second time with pizzas in the car!

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
8/30/12 9:11 a.m.
T.J. wrote:
accordionfolder wrote:
My 2012 WRX has the filter hanging from the bottom of the engine. Conveniently covered up by the plastic undertray that has to be removed to access the filter. Why could they not put a trap door in the under tray?

I think it is only the normally aspirated FB family engines that are like this (wrx still has the EJ engine).

accordionfolder, you can change the Forester oil without putting it on ramps or jacking it up at all, at least I can on my wife's 2011. I agree, easiest oil change of any vehicle I have serviced. Just crack the filter loose a little and let it drain. I have heard if you unscrew it fast you will have a big mess as the drip tray casting will overflow.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/30/12 9:14 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Knurled wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Lightened, +50HP and a higher rev limit with a different valvetrain & exhaust, upgraded suspension, brakes and body kit. Me likey!
A fixed-roof S2000 with little seaties in the back that can open to the trunk! So an S2000 that's not a toy! Only downside it that the ride height on this is probably supercar-like. The regular model looks high but it's actually at a speedbump-scraping 5"

I daily drive a car with front crossmembers 3" off the ground. I'd lower the BRZ.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/30/12 10:16 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Knurled wrote:
A fixed-roof S2000 with little seaties in the back that can open to the trunk! So an S2000 that's not a toy! Only downside it that the ride height on this is probably supercar-like. The regular model looks high but it's actually at a speedbump-scraping 5"
I daily drive a car with front crossmembers 3" off the ground. I'd lower the BRZ.

You live in a different reality than some of us...

Winter of 2011:

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/30/12 10:40 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
Knurled wrote:
You live in a different reality than some of us... Winter of 2011:

Pic blocked, but i drove it through winter last year as well. It was fine. Did some plowing. Is it ideal? No... but neither is a BRZ in the first place. If there's a foot of snow on the roads, i either stay home or take the Cherokee.

Same rule would apply with a BRZ.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/12 11:15 a.m.

Yeah Nohome i really don't think the difference between making it through or dying in that apocolyptic wasteland is the 2" between a front crossmember at 5" and one at 3".

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/30/12 11:24 a.m.
nocones wrote: Yeah Nohome i really don't think the difference between making it through or dying in that apocolyptic wasteland is the 2" between a front crossmember at 5" and one at 3".

Apocalyptic? Just another day in Northern paradise!

And while 2" won't save your bacon every time, it will see you through the average snowfall as I know from doing it for many years with a Miata. Only stuck once.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/30/12 11:29 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
nocones wrote: Yeah Nohome i really don't think the difference between making it through or dying in that apocolyptic wasteland is the 2" between a front crossmember at 5" and one at 3".
Apocalyptic? Just another day in Northern paradise! And while 2" won't save your bacon every time, it will see you through the average snowfall as I know from doing it for many years with a Miata. Only stuck once.

The only time i've gotten stuck in the MX6 was actually... in summer. In a construction zone. They cut out the street, but didn't grade it off. I high-sided in the middle of the street.

Bottom line is really that neither example is perfect, and you SHOULD have a backup plan if you commonly get snow like that.

I'm from one of the snowiest places in the US, and i'd be perfectly ok with driving this car year round there if i had to.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/12 11:48 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: You live in a different reality than some of us... Winter of 2011:

Drive a nice car in the winter? Sacrilege!

I guess maybe if you're going to throw it away after a few years anyway, but I'd venture most GRMers aren't the kind to get a new car every three years because OMG TEH NEIGHBORS WHAT WILL THEY THINK

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0gGomPryi3j7QwYSN7mPrw7ij2zJHPqVQElmYTOVxGWkTA62KktgHpnb6JqJkgDq