1 2 3
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
10/24/15 7:47 p.m.

The winner of the $2015 Challenge is PACC Racing! The Nelson family has finally won after 11 years of fierce competition at the $2000 Challenge.

Second place was Texas A&M. They dominated in the autocross, but just barely weren't able to hold the Nelsons off.

And third was the Mumpkin! Paul Fenner and crew brought a consistent all-around car this year. And the theme was very well done. Lots of references to you guys here on the forum.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/24/15 7:58 p.m.

Congrats to all!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/24/15 8:04 p.m.

Nice work everybody!

What's under the bonnet of that beetle?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/24/15 8:16 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Nice work everybody! What's under the bonnet of that beetle?

Andy Nelson special recipe.

Ed Higginbotham
10/24/15 8:25 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

A 353 sbc.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
10/24/15 8:35 p.m.

Good job!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/15 9:16 p.m.

How did the aristocrats do?

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/15 9:21 p.m.

Congrats to the top 3 and especially great to see the Nelsons win the overall! Seeing the caliber of entries this year is exciting but also a little terrifying for next year. Time to step up my game!

Ed Higginbotham
10/24/15 9:27 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Awesome. John went ahead and took home most of the trophies he brought, but they were darned fun to watch. That class produced by far the most tire smoke.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
10/24/15 9:35 p.m.

Awesome work all. Glad to see the volksrod take it's rightful place at the head of the pack.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
10/24/15 9:36 p.m.

Btw my wife offered Nelson twins comments as I was proclaiming the glory of fast vdubs...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/15 10:00 p.m.

Congrats to the top three and all the rest of the competators.

We just got home. This weekend was the most car related fun that I've had since that red head in college. We want to come back next year and my son was already planning what we were going to do to the car to get it ready.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/24/15 10:09 p.m.

I just got home as well. It was a great event as always. I had a ton of fun and both of my cars survived the weekend unscathed. I am glad the Nelsons won no one deserved it more, that's for sure.

11s42k
11s42k New Reader
10/24/15 10:13 p.m.

Congrats to Andy & family - long time coming!!!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/15 10:25 p.m.

just got back to my hotel room. few observations.

i was sad about only being able to put one drag pass down, mostly coasting at the end because of my issue. i am no longer sad with a 13th overall finish, i was expecting bottom 1/4 first year out.

the event is insane in person.

i had the only Z car there.

the mumpkin is nuts.

the aristocrats are the guys to hang out with for a strange yet fun experience.

and andrew nelson is one of the most genuine awesome people one could ever wish to associate with, and i'm proud to know him and own one of this former cars.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
10/24/15 10:26 p.m.

i will also say they neslsons really rocked this weekend along with everyone else. i won the longest drive award from driving my subby outback wagon 1.136 miles from trevor, wi. i had a blast. also check out all the photos and video i posted i theards each day also.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/15 10:52 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Congrats to the top 3 and especially great to see the Nelsons win the overall! Seeing the caliber of entries this year is exciting but also a little terrifying for next year. Time to step up my game!

I've found the level of entries terrifying for years, and I'm not even planning to enter! The amount of skill, talent and just plain work it takes to compete at the top of this event is spectacular.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/15 11:05 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Congrats to the top 3 and especially great to see the Nelsons win the overall! Seeing the caliber of entries this year is exciting but also a little terrifying for next year. Time to step up my game!

you worry about getting yourself better first, then let us know if there is anything we can do to get you there next year.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/25/15 6:49 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: How did the aristocrats do?

Thanks for asking and thanks for watching along.
Pat, great time.

As I had hoped, there was a fierce rivalry in the middle of the pack.

The concourse changed everything. Before concourse the Aristocrats leaders were...

Autox
Q45
GS400
750iL

Drag
GS400
Mark VIII
Q45

Final results
Q45
750IL
GS400

Last Chance award went to Mark VIII.

Personally, more than winning the class I created was the absolute pride and respect that I felt when the staff awarded me with The Spirit of the Event Award.

Thanks to all.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/25/15 7:51 a.m.

How did the gutted LS400 do?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/25/15 8:55 a.m.

In reply to 2002maniac:

No LSD and no weight over the rear tire produced lots of single tire smoke. It just never hooked up.

All along and especially upon actually seeing it, it was by far the most intimidating Aristocrat. I really thought he would sweep the fleet.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/25/15 9:00 a.m.

As a side note, in the hotel lobby this morning, I sat at two completely separate tables. One was a group of long time Challengers, the other rookies and they were both searching CL for Minivans.

Details to follow.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/25/15 10:28 a.m.

Best Challenge Ever!

Beautiful weather. Lots of new blood alongside the veterans. Unbelievable cars. Fun autocross. Amazing concours. Terrific celebrity judge, Al Unser Jr.. Exciting General Tire autocross using the new Mazda 3 and MX5. New E.T. record and a storybook overall win for the Nelsons. Super job by the whole GRM team taking care of the details. Congratulations to all!

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/25/15 10:45 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to 2002maniac: No LSD and no weight over the rear tire produced lots of single tire smoke. It just never hooked up

Wasn't there a welder in the paddock?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/25/15 10:59 a.m.

I got home late last night and just woke up. Yes, awesome event, awesome people, awesome cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cz49BzzIgOj316pLiC5mPeOAQlbCSSvEwG3PXPErLNi6J1P0skYb7TqdBM1vfJSe