DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/12/15 8:51 a.m.

Which one for DD duties?

MPGs are too close so that's a wash.

One is cheaper, has a nicer interior, includes more tech features. The other has more power, better handling (IMO), looks better (IMO), cleaner but less techy interior.

No modifications are really planned for either as it's just going to be a DD with some autox duty, some retrofitted headlights, intake or exhaust for more noise, etc. The WRX I already have an axle back that would fit it and some RPF1s with RS-3s.

Same RS3s fit the Si and I already have retrofitted headlights for it and HPD front and rear sway bars, an intake, and some other stuff from my last one.

Biggest thing is price difference for me. 21500 out the door for Si and 27500 out the door on the WRX.

Discuss. Happy football saturday.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/12/15 9:32 a.m.

Go for the WRX. The Civic is a perfectly good small car, but you will eventually get bored with it. The WRX will never fail to entertain.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
9/12/15 11:36 a.m.

Or this http://www.worldcarfans.com/115091198782/2016-honda-civic-sedan-photographed-undisguised-in

Price should be between the two.

peter
peter Dork
9/12/15 12:14 p.m.

I have a '13 Si for DD duties. A buddy has a '14 WRX for DD duties; I haven't driven it, but I get to ride in it occasionally. I don't know what level of WRX it is - it's got a leather interior and a lot of tech bling.

The Si is a very comfortable DD, if you're not expecting the a floating-Barcalounger ride. It's not fast, but the short gears and torsen make it feel fast and powerful. I can chirp the tires going into 2nd when I'm really giving it the beans. And when the roads are slippery, it's a bit fun/silly/immature to spin the tires all the way through 2nd a freeway on-ramp.

I'm pretty sure that as a sports car though, the WRX will blow the Si away.

Where I think the Si holds its own is not just the price/feature ratio (the interior is very nice - more refined and grown-up than the boy-racer WRX), but in civility. When non-car folks get in my car, they usually remark about how nice the interior is and then they are surprised it's a manual. Driven like a normal human, the Si could be mistaken for just another sedan. That's not going to happen with the WRX. Even stock, the WRX engine/turbo noise is intrusive, and the power delivery curve is noticeable.

I'd say that the Si gives the driver the feeling the car is sporty and fun, where the WRX is a weekend-sports-car. I really just like that my Si is refined and adult without disconnecting me from the driving experience.

HTH, if you've got specific Si questions, ask away!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
9/12/15 12:37 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222: I say that it depends on if you have a second weekend only/toy car. If this is your only car, go with the more sports oriented WRX. If not, go with the more calm Si.

sibanez
sibanez New Reader
9/12/15 4:08 p.m.

I currently own a 2015 WRX (base model) and owned a 2006 Civic SI prior to that. My take:

1) The WRX is a pure sports car. It's fast everywhere, handles amazingly and has tons of potential. 2) The WRX is a beast in snow with snow tires. 3) Plenty of room in the car, but this is a big car.
4) The SI is a great DD. You can have fun with it and keep your license. The same isn't true for the WRX, this car can quickly intimidate your license.
5) The SI is more fun on the autocross course, in my opinion. The WRX has tons of potential (look at the DS results at Nats), but it takes a lot to get there.
6) The interior of the SI is much nicer. Not sure if this matters, but the 2006 felt more put together.

I'm actually planning to buy a new SI once they are available. I love my Subaru, but it's just a bit too much car for me. I want something with four doors and fun and while both cars match that, I feel like the Honda will last longer and be more enjoyable in daily situations.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/12/15 5:19 p.m.

I have also had an Si and currently own a 2015 WRX. Like both. Both very nice. WRX all the way. It's in a different league and always ready to play no matter what the conditions.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/12/15 5:29 p.m.

Picking between these two, I'd go with the WRX if the cost difference wasn't going to create difficulties. After the warranty expires get a Cobb Accessport and be done until maintenance requires replacement of up-gradable items.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
9/12/15 6:39 p.m.

In reply to peter:

The 2015 WRX is a whole different animal to the 2014 with all new everything. The reviews are very much that it's a much more grown up, more refined car, growing past much of the boy racer stuff. My parents in their early 60's just got one and are quite smitten.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/13/15 12:18 p.m.

I have a 2015 STI - downgrading and money isn't the biggest thing because bottom line and monthly payment will go down either way, plus just looking for something not as balls to the wall for a DD. I have a 94 Accord I built for chumpcar and other duties but I'm only a co-owner so sometimes it's off doing other things with the other owner.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/13/15 5:59 p.m.

Then the Si is a better choice for you. The STi and the WRX are very similar in performance and feel so to sell the 2015 STi and buy a 2016 WRX just doesn't make sense.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/13/15 6:02 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Which one for DD duties? MPGs are too close so that's a wash.

That sentence is so very, very wrong.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/13/15 6:07 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: The STi and the WRX are very similar in performance and feel so to sell the 2015 STi and buy a 2016 WRX just doesn't make sense.

Does the STI still get a faster rack and front diff that the WRX does not?

I hear that the '08-up 5-speed is much more grenade-proof compared to the earlier transmissions but the STi has the "C.diff" dial, which is both amusing in a 13 year old way and awesome for what it actually does.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
9/13/15 8:42 p.m.

I had a 2012 Civic Si Sedan, and I traded it for a 14 WRX Premium (heated cloth seats, moonroof)... Hands down the better performance car is the WRX. The Si is a little too boy-racer wannabe for me (the 2.4L motor they started putting in them in 2012 is a MUCH better daily driver than the 2.0, makes MUCH more torque) if you're not "for serious" about racing, then I'd make this choice. The WRX is a different animal. It's snorty, torquey, heavy, and a bit unrefined. It's a fantastic vehicle, and I loved mine to death (not the same motor as the new ones obviously). I have a friend with a 15 WRX (new 2.0L instead of the UPS Truck sound alike 2.5 that was in mine) that closes that unrefined feeling gap quite a bit.

Even if the cars were the same price i think the better long term value holder is the WRX.

Conclusion? Drive both. One of them will probably be a standout for what you intend to do with it.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/13/15 8:50 p.m.

It is wrong that now the WRX gets similar mileage to the Si with 68 more hp, 2 extra wheels to drive, and 340+ lbs more. It can also suck them down quicker as well.

The STI has a hydraulic rack with a quicker ratio vs. the WRX with the electronic rack. STI has front diff with auto/manual diff settings and the center dial is for throttle mapping. Supposedly "Intelligent" mode help with MPGs the only difference I noticed was a slower throttle response lol.

STI over WRX has: Hydraulic Rack, adjustable center diff, throttle mapping options, brembo brake calipers, mechanical shifting (instead of linkage), nicer seats in the base STI, the Wing, led headlights, inverted struts (2016 premium and limited come with these now), boxer rumble, and a few other things.

WRX does have forged internals, hits peak torque at 2000rpm, subtle looks, an updated head unit that's not from 1995 but same horrible quality sound output haha. Really that's one thing that's turning me away for DD duties as horrible as it sounds (no pun intended).

I drove a BRZ and loved it and price discounts right now are great; but, the backseat just doesn't do it for me with two little ones. Couldn't stand interior and ergonomics of the Focus and Fiesta ST sisters. These two both just seem to hit all the marks for me and the Si has a slight edge right now because of tech features and sound system quality for DDing duties.

I'll keep the board posted as I should have a new ride by Tuesday.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/15 6:30 p.m.

A year in and we're still digging our 2014 Civic Si sedan. It's Mrs. Editor's daily driver.

Mods to date: zero.

Problems to date: zero.

For the money, it was really hard to beat.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/14/15 10:26 p.m.

Against better judgement I picked up the WRX. Halfway regret the decision but in DD conditions I can't really tell a difference from the STI. Plus it'll hold its residual value in a year when I want the CTR.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/14/15 10:28 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: A year in and we're still digging our 2014 Civic Si sedan. It's Mrs. Editor's daily driver. Mods to date: zero. Problems to date: zero. For the money, it was really hard to beat.

They are and I've got buyers remorse because it was probably the smarter decision to go with the Civic; but, I also have a 2012 Civic Si sitting at home that needs a ton of work. Like an interior and drivetrain work.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/14/15 10:32 p.m.

I put a picture of both cars I was interested in, in front of my two year old. I asked her which one should dad get "Daddy blue subaru, daddy my blue Subaru!" kind of why I went with it haha.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
9/15/15 5:38 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I put a picture of both cars I was interested in, in front of my two year old. I asked her which one should dad get "Daddy blue subaru, daddy my blue Subaru!" kind of why I went with it haha.

Yep, can't really argue with that. This is pretty much the reason why I am looking at dark blue Mustangs right now.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/15/15 5:50 a.m.
sibanez wrote: I currently own a 2015 WRX (base model) and owned a 2006 Civic SI prior to that. My take: 3) Plenty of room in the car, but this is a big car.

How small are you? The WRX isn't big. It isn't an original MINI but it isn't big...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/15/15 6:13 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
sibanez wrote: I currently own a 2015 WRX (base model) and owned a 2006 Civic SI prior to that. My take: 3) Plenty of room in the car, but this is a big car.
How small are you? The WRX isn't big. It isn't an original MINI but it isn't big...

It has grown some. It's one of the few (small) complaints I have about it. It's sort of morphed into the size of an older Legacy. So it feels bigger than some of my previous WRXs.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
9/15/15 8:08 a.m.

Post a picture up!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mYcYm103nBu6IXV3N9dYP6EQkDKqqLffgxlfF8ZLXSft6aVPmL1GzXtysETAfuIU