1 2
Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/14 9:56 a.m.

The Golf R thread reminded me how excited I am about this.

Unfortunately (well, not all that unfortunate, I suppose), the Leaf seems to be working out really well for our new-reliable-DD usage, and I'd probably actually be happier with a Mk1 Golf/Rabbit (Grabbit?), not to mention the profusion of inert cars parked all over the place here.

Anyhow, if we decide we're likely to do a bunch of road trips in whatever follows the Leaf in addition to around-town duty, this is my front-runner...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/14 10:42 a.m.

This is on the short list of potential next new vehicles for me (likely to be purchased in first half of 2015). It's an unusual list to be cross shopping) 1) GTD 2) Fiesta ST and assuming that they manage 30MPG highway 3) Colorado diesel 4) 2015 F150

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/8/14 2:04 p.m.

Having been in a MKVI Jetta ('13 2.5 SE) while our MKV Jetta ('09 TDI) has been in the body shop for almost a month now, I'm much less excited than I originally was. The MKV is so much better than the MKVI, build quality, materials, ergonomics, driving dynamics, etc. Granted I'm comparing turbo diesel to a technological dinosaur with asthma gas burner, and a DSG to a traditional slush box, so performance/fuel economy aside, if I had test drove our rental when we were shopping, we probably wouldn't be Jetta owners today.

Here's hoping the GTD is better than my current VWOA crap box, and more like the previous generation. If I remember right the Golf actually has multi link independent rear suspension (like the MKV), instead of beam like the current Jetta, so that ought to help.

I don't think I'll ever get SWMBO to get over her disdain of hatches anyway.

• Lee
NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/8/14 2:36 p.m.

The new Jetta and A6 Golf are very different vehicles in NA.

In fact the Jetta has more in common with the new Passat than it does the Golf.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/8/14 4:13 p.m.
Granted I'm comparing turbo diesel to a technological dinosaur with asthma gas burner,

You make it sound like the diesel is newer technology or less asthmatic, but it is neither. Take the turbo's charge plumbing off and see how it feels.

I am happy about the GTD. I'm not a new car buyer but i could see myself being pretty happy with one.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/9/14 8:16 a.m.

I find this to be much more interesting than the Golf R.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/14 8:19 a.m.

The Diesel is very interesting, but so far real-world use isn't seeing the kind of huge gains that diesel usually nets. I'm sure the wider tires sporty bias don't help. But there is a definite fuel savings without much loss of performance, and that's very cool

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
1/9/14 8:20 a.m.

Is the new GTD Diesel supposed to get better mileage than previous gen cars?

Edit: 26/35

That sucks. The GTI is rated at 24/34, is faster, and uses cheaper fuel.

WTF.

getfast
getfast Reader
1/9/14 10:11 a.m.

I would hope it'll be better than that! I had a '10 Golf TDI that was rated at like 41 highway and regularly did 45-48mpg highway.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/9/14 10:36 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

Wha!?

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what aspects of the GTD which differentiate it from a standard TDI would cause a giant drop in mileage...
+ wider tires? Some, but not that kind of drop...
+ lower stance? I thought that was supposed to help, but I'm no aerodynamicist
+ did they go all old-school GTI and give it a close-ratio gearbox with little/no overdrive? That would be a strange choice.
+ Er, tune? I confess I haven't read up much; did they give it more juice at the expense of mileage? Honestly, while I like more power, I would've been reasonably happy with standard TDI power and the uprated suspension...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
1/9/14 10:41 a.m.

Yeah, it does seem low. I need to find another source.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/21/2015-volkswagen-gtd-first-drive-review/

I was hoping to see an increase in the mpg. At 35mpg combined, the current model isn't very competitive with high MPG cars.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/9/14 12:08 p.m.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/07/new-vw-golf-gtd-will-come-to-us-in-2015.html

Current Euro Spec GTD
Same 2.0l TDI
181 HP
280 Lb-Ft
0 to 60 ~7 sec
Top Speed 143 Mph
56 MPG Avg Edmund's says only about 40 Mpg
Requires Urea for Emissions

I still don't know if I wouldn't rather find a '10 Thunder Bunny TDI Cup Edition?

I'll be taking our Jetta, soon after we get it back from the body shop, in for it's 80K mile DSG service, and intend to test drive some of the newer TDIs. I've pretty much already written off a new Jetta, but will give the Golf and New-New Beetle a shot, I don't think I'm all that interested in a Passat.

• Lee
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/14 12:09 p.m.

euros use imperial miles per gallon

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/9/14 12:14 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Yeah I Ninja edited another link after doing some more searching.

• Lee
xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
1/9/14 1:08 p.m.

I'm still very intrigued by this, as my current mk4 TDI Golf (modded to be basically a GTI) is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd hope it could knock down 40+ like TDI's traditionally have.

I'm curious to see what real world Fiesta ST highway #'s are though. The Ford is looking very tempting if it can legitimately knock down mid 30's on cheaper fuel at real highway speeds.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/9/14 5:44 p.m.

I was impressed with the 2015 GTI mpg, 24/34 iirc. What was the gtd?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
1/9/14 5:48 p.m.

GTD looks cool but starting at $27 errrrr

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/9/14 5:50 p.m.

Not meant to poke fun at everyone's personal taste, but i've noticed a lot of threads lately lusting after VWs.

Have these cars stopped sucking horribly in the last few years and i missed it? Or is there some other reason why they're so awesome all of a sudden?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/9/14 6:38 p.m.

these are new with warranty. They only suck for the 3/36 that you own them.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
1/10/14 3:30 a.m.

I would be interested if it came with a LSD. How does a car with diesel torque that is FWD and claims to be sporty not have one?

280 Lb-Ft

LOL. That with no lsd = no thx.

Here another car with lots of torque (3.2l V6), fwd, and no LSD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0P54S8ESys Massive torque steer + burning ridiculous rubber on corner exists would be funny.... at first.

I would just buy the TDI and use it as a DD and get another car for sporty driving. The GTI or GTD doesn't compare at all to the R, or even a Mazdaspeed 3 for that matter.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
1/10/14 6:49 a.m.

In reply to kanaric:

Our bone stock '09 is allegedly 236 lb-ft, at a mere 1750 RPM, it's not even remotely unmanageable. Do you thing another 44 lb-ft will make a big difference? (serious question not sarcasm) The car is a lot of fun from a stop, delivers powers near instant when mashing the throttle, puts you firmly against the back of the seat, but torque steer is not an issue.

• Lee
DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
1/10/14 9:46 a.m.

Road & Track just did an article: GTI vs GTD

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/10/14 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

I'm still a bit scared of the high pressure fuel pump, though I wonder what's different in the 2015 model (though I believe it's the same basic engine). Hopefully part of extracting a bit more power was changing that pump (in a good way).

Apart from that, they look cool, drive well, and I've read stories here that made me worry that my Subaru was going to implode before I could trade it in.

I feel like VW is currently doing way better than they did during the nadir of the A4 chassis, but that's admittedly setting the bar really, really low. Now I feel like it might just be a roll of the dice on par with anything not purchased first and foremost for its reputation for reliability.

But that's a really fast-and-loose, not-backed-up-by-math impression, considerably influenced by my girlfriend being much more likely to go for another performance car for the household's one new car if it's a TDI. And I imprinted on Rabbits in the '80s in some long-lasting way. I'm perpetually inclined toward rose-tinted Oakley Blades.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/11/14 12:23 a.m.

I'm honestly shocked a 180hp GTD can hit 155mph. I wonder if it was on level ground.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist New Reader
1/11/14 3:27 p.m.

I like the GTD together with a DSG but add AWD and I would seriously consider it. That would be a great 4 season city/highway daily driver.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Vxqd33fywIZLKi5oZqkMPfrVqzqoGY6tJ7BzofUW75AAtQIUM4w1ZtRD1MoYsgf