1 2
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
4/10/14 6:39 a.m.

Doesn't sound promising.

Why You Probably Won't Be Able To Buy A Volkswagen GTD This Year

Jalopnik said: On one hand, they still want the GTD to make it there. On the other, most of the people responsible for this decision have been replaced by new executives. Different execs, different priorities. The American GTD is still on a list of their to-dos, just further down. VW has time to make a business case and homologate the entire powertrain as they operate with seven-year model cycles, but if you want their fast diesel hatchback, start sending those emails soon.

I sent a polite inquisitive email to VW customer care. Here's the response I got.

VW Customer Care said: Your excitement in the GTD is entirely understandable-a diesel engine in a performance vehicle sounds fantastic. I regret that, at this time, there are no plans to bring it to the U.S. market. We are always looking for ways to improve our vehicle lineup so it better matches our customers’ needs. I’ve made sure the correct departments have been made aware of your interest, so when the next round of decisions is being made your voice will be heard.
  • Lee
Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/10/14 8:03 a.m.

Everyone that would have bought this car will probably need to respond by buying the Golf TDI, Koni yellows and summer tires. It is definitely understandable to buy something else, but then that would lead VW to push it back another two or three years since the average consumer thinks that diesel power is terrible.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
4/10/14 1:41 p.m.

I still don't get everyone's infatuation with the new TDI's? The old ones were superior mpg machines, the new ones are not that much better than current gas motors (and they drive like diesels).

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
4/10/14 3:21 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

This could have something to do with it:
CR = 138 Hp & 236 lb ft
PD = 103 Hp & 184 lb ft
ALH = 89 Hp & 155 lb ft

Those are Jetta numbers, pulled from Wiki.

"Drives like a diesel" is one of my favorite parts, instant torque, accelerates like stink for a bone stock "economy" car. Returns plenty of smiles per gallon, and can go 550 miles between fill ups. All of that in a more performance oriented platform, i.e. GTI would be just that much more better-er.

• Lee
1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/10/14 6:27 p.m.

Other than the high pressure fuel pump issues, I am pretty much down with doing a gti type transformation on a TDI, or doing a fiesta st. Or actually both, which would allow me to retire the R53 to autocross and weekend duty.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
4/10/14 6:27 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: Doesn't sound promising. Why You Probably Won't Be Able To Buy A Volkswagen GTD This Year
Jalopnik said: On one hand, they still want the GTD to make it there. On the other, most of the people responsible for this decision have been replaced by new executives. Different execs, different priorities. The American GTD is still on a list of their to-dos, just further down. VW has time to make a business case and homologate the entire powertrain as they operate with seven-year model cycles, but if you want their fast diesel hatchback, start sending those emails soon.
I sent a polite inquisitive email to VW customer care. Here's the response I got.
VW Customer Care said: Your excitement in the GTD is entirely understandable-a diesel engine in a performance vehicle sounds fantastic. I regret that, at this time, there are no plans to bring it to the U.S. market. We are always looking for ways to improve our vehicle lineup so it better matches our customers’ needs. I’ve made sure the correct departments have been made aware of your interest, so when the next round of decisions is being made your voice will be heard.
- Lee

Lest your hopes get above gutter level, I received a very similar response when I inquired about the VW California (T5 camper van) coming to the U.S. If the mileage is as stated above in the thread, (26-35?), I can't see a reason to get it over the GTI, unless you're just a diesel person.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/10/14 6:42 p.m.

Methinks a diesel would be fun on a tight autocross course where the low end torque would be cool...

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
4/11/14 1:55 a.m.
1966stang wrote: Methinks a diesel would be fun on a tight autocross course where the low end torque would be cool...

Ya sure but you get low end torque on a GTI anyways as well as more mid and higher power. It's not a monster turbo car. Power comes on in the the 2000s rpm.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FQMAgefmyAY682g9rp643SbyislkkpemLrvKE5peyqbatlC6f4wedUGmPhRTAzHL