1 ... 4 5 6 7
bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Yes. But that is certainly more the exception than the rule. It wouldn't be collectible without that engine and it would have brought more if it were a 2 door.
Fact is, when I was young, 4 doors were anything but cool, and guys like me will always have a hard time seeing 4 doors as collectible. But 4 doors are no longer just for old people, so who knows what will be collectible in the future. I really don't know what that has to do with a brand new car that may or may not ever get built.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/13/14 10:35 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Cotton: Yes. But that isn't common. It wouldn't be collectible without that engine and it would have brought more if it were a 2 door. Fact is, when I was young, 4 doors were anything but cool, and guys like me will always have a hard time seeing 4 doors as collectible. But 4 doors are no longer just for old people, so who knows what will be collectible in the future. I really don't know what that has to do with a brand new car that may or may not ever get built.

oh I didn't know there were conditions. I thought "there were no collectible 4 doors", so I kicked out one obviously on the high end. You can go check out any Hemi or 409 4 door to see more. Of course it wouldn't be collectible with out the engine it's obvious the main reason it's collectible is because of how it's optioned, a two door possibly bringing more money has nothing to do with it at all...the car is still collectible.

The Peterson has a nice 4 door impala with a 427 in their basement. Based on this thread I guess the next time I'm there I should tell them it isn't collectible and they need to take out the trash.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/13/14 10:41 a.m.

Collectable 4 doors

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Cotton:

I was referring to your claim that there are "plenty" of collectible 4 doors. I personally never said there were none. And they are certainly rare in comparison to 2 door collector cars, especially in the post war era. I'm trying to figure out how I got roped into this argument, because I really don't care if this new Buick becomes collectible or not.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/14 10:59 a.m.

Wait, first the criteria was "performance cars", now it's "collectible"?

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/13/14 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Whatever excuse it takes, right?

I remember I got abuse for pointing the same hesitation when the BRZ twins came out. As if I were a toyota hater. Just pointing out the car that fits the bill, but falling short of the new bill of requirements.... Happens all the time here.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/13/14 11:10 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Cotton: Yes. But that is certainly more the exception than the rule. It wouldn't be collectible without that engine and it would have brought more if it were a 2 door. Fact is, when I was young, 4 doors were anything but cool, and guys like me will always have a hard time seeing 4 doors as collectible. But 4 doors are no longer just for old people, so who knows what will be collectible in the future. I really don't know what that has to do with a brand new car that may or may not ever get built.

A Hemi 'Cuda is way less collectible without the hemi. Same is true of almost all collectible cars. A base 6-cyl Dart is worthless, a hemi 4-speed is not.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 11:18 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

And a base Cuda is way more collectible than a base 4 door coronet. But let me say it again - I don't care. This is a worthless argument.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/13/14 12:08 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: there is no demand for 4 dr. performance cars.

CTS-Vs that I see in the wild are evenly split between 4dr and wagon. Haven't seen a coupe CTS-V yet. (Every time I see a CTS-V wagon, my heart grows three sizes that day)

I could easily turn this into a list of awesome, desirable 4 door cars like Lancer Evos, Audi S-cars of various type, 90s Impala SSs (which also had a 2 minute backlash because it was a 4 door and now nobody cares) but that'd be boring.

Knurled
6/13/14 12:15 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I think if a company came out with a 300hp 2 door coupe that weighed 2000lbs and $15k, people on here would bitch about it.

It has HIDs, HIDs are awful. And 14" wheels won't fit over the brakes.

Knurled
6/13/14 12:18 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Wait, first the criteria was "performance cars", now it's "collectible"?

I do believe the original complaint was that they will never be desirable cars because they have four doors.

That is great if you are buying a new car for the next guy. I don't buy cars for the next guy.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/13/14 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

That's because of the styling of the CTS-V coupes. I bet if they styled it closer the the sedan you'd see more of them. CTS-V wagon > sedan > coupe.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/13/14 12:27 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: Wait, first the criteria was "performance cars", now it's "collectible"?
I do believe the original complaint was that they will never be desirable cars because they have four doors. That is great if you are buying a new car for the next guy. I don't buy cars for the next guy.

I don't think this is a debate that can ever be settled, but your comment above made me think of something.
In 1994 I had twin boys. I also bought a brand new Integra GS-R...4 door. I bought it for me (well my wife, actually), not the next guy. I liked the car, but only 3 years later was in need of something bigger. As you probably know, there were a lot more 2 door hatchback GS-R's sold than 4 doors. Up until that time, every Honda product I had ever purchased had retained its value much better than average. Not this one. Just three years old and with an average 35k miles on it, in like new condition, I got less than half what I paid for it. Seems nobody wanted a high revving, manual trans, 4 door performance car.
My point? Hell if I know. I guess it's that people have different needs, wants, and tastes. What ends up being the right move on the part of a car manufacturer has to have a certain element of luck. I just read an article about the AMC Marlin. AMC took a chance with the outrageous styling, hoping to claim more market share by producing something different. It may have worked, but it didn't. So who knows what will sell and what won't. And who knows what will be collectible or not. When I was a teen, musclecars were just old cars. I sold a few of them that would later become very valuable. I would never have dreamed that they would, but they did. What I do know, I think, is that what becomes collectible are the vehicles that 40-50 year old men lusted after when they were young. That didn't used to be 4 doors, but in the future it may be.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/13/14 2:15 p.m.

Anyone else think this new Buick should have a V8? Who cares about the number of doors. I want it to be just like the old GNX with a nice V8.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/13/14 2:20 p.m.

I once saw a Delorean with a Grand National engine in it. Now that was interesting.....

it wasn't a V8 though

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
6/13/14 4:14 p.m.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/06/12/bat-exclusive-clean-2l-swapped-1969-alfa-romeo-giulia-1300ti/

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/06/04/bat-exclusive-pristine-1981-bmw-533i-deitel-alpina/

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/05/31/bat-exclusive-pristine-and-unmodified-14k-mile-2006-mitsubishi-evo-ix-mr/

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/05/24/bat-exclusive-original-1934-rover-10-p2/

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/06/12/clean-1986-mercedes-benz-190e-2-3-16/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331220068975?item=331220068975&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/14 4:17 p.m.

2 doors make it easier for fat guys to get in after they have a rollcage installed.

Wanderer
Wanderer New Reader
6/13/14 6:28 p.m.

But wasn't the original GN adapted from an already existing platform? AFAIK Buick does not offer Regal coupes. If they made a special car and called it a GN purists would complain about that too

I don't care if it's 2, 4, 5 whatever, it looks like it'd be fun and it's a Buick and that is progress. Good for them I appreciate the effort.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
6/13/14 6:37 p.m.

You did it again. I went to work today, and you guys had all this fun without me. For the record, I wasn't trolling. I don't do that.

After reading posts like this one:

Zomby Woof wrote: You're just not reading my posts well enough, because I'm this right practically all the time.

I find it hard to believe that you would take the following few seriously (with the exception of providing collectable examples as that was serious, and still hasn't happened). I've been on this forum for a dozen or more years. The message has never changed, nor has my sense of humour.

Some of you guys take this forum thing WAY too seriously, and others just want to argue for the sake of argument. Well, Homey don't play dat.

Knurled
6/13/14 7:30 p.m.

As the late George Orwell pointed out, four doors good, two doors bad!

(disclaimer: owns two two-door cars. But at least NONE of my cars have trunks, they are all hatch or wagon)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
6/13/14 7:37 p.m.

You four-door guys do realise that 2-door seats fold forward AND slide to access the back seats, right?

You also understand that 2-door doors are longer than 4-door doors, right?

It's been pretty damn easy to get into the rear seats of any 2-door car I've ever owned and I had a Starlet and a 2nd gen Firebird.

Kids fit in the back even easier, they're smaller than adults. If they don't want to get in, you're the adult, make them.

plance1
plance1 Dork
6/13/14 7:45 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: RWD+400 hp turbo engine+manual? So what if it's a 4-door, I don't get the hate here. Sounds pretty darn good to me.
it's easy to diss cars that you'll never buy in the first place. That way you can pretend to be interested in it. But it is fascinating to hate a company who makes a performance car. why, I just can't figure.

Bingo. I see this thread has lots of comments but I got to this one and decided to stop. Im sure the rest of the posts are just useless blather about 4 doors vs. 2 doors, gripes about the name, compaints about cheap plastics in the interior, blah blah blah

Knurled
6/13/14 8:04 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: You four-door guys do realise that 2-door seats fold forward AND slide to access the back seats, right? You also understand that 2-door doors are longer than 4-door doors, right?

Yep. 4 door cars have stiffer chassis because they have smaller holes in them, lighter doors so the hinges don't wear out as quickly and the A-pillar doesn't sag under the weight, and you can actually open the door all the way without smacking the car next to you, which is not a capital offense although it should be.

So. 2 door cars have... fewer doorhandles to break?

It made a difference when you could get a hardtop. Find a hardtop made in the last 30 years. Not gonna. Everything is going to have a big fat B pillar in the way.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/14 8:14 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: RWD+400 hp turbo engine+manual? So what if it's a 4-door, I don't get the hate here. Sounds pretty darn good to me.
it's easy to diss cars that you'll never buy in the first place. That way you can pretend to be interested in it. But it is fascinating to hate a company who makes a performance car. why, I just can't figure.
Bingo. I see this thread has lots of comments but I got to this one and decided to stop. Im sure the rest of the posts are just useless blather about 4 doors vs. 2 doors, gripes about the name, compaints about cheap plastics in the interior, blah blah blah

Wrong. Some of them are discussing whether or not the original Grand National had a V8. Did we ever get an answer on that, by the way?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
6/13/14 11:11 p.m.

GN never had a V8 but the Regal did.

Go here: http://www.beforeblack.net/

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z1oL7eWZzmWPotp91SvylNkSLGEEPc1F6kUe4aevejEkxFyXeMlWzzmGtDfRsp2T