1 2
Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
2/22/17 3:57 a.m.

I'm fine with the stock FA20... other than the issues which required replacing the original ECM with the updated version in my FR-S. There's always OFT and Ace header if you want to correct the dip and gain decent hp/lbft...but then that messes with emissions and inspection testing/passing.

Rather than mess with the motor power, I'd rather change the rear gearing to 4.56 and have a lightweight flywheel while running on smaller diameter 205/45-17 tires (preferably the new Continental Extremecontact Sports.) The new heads and intake manifold in the '17 have a revised power delivery and the rear end gearing is further improved from the previous MY's...

For an 'underpowered' car, the FR-S is quick in turns on decent tires because of that nice chassis. Coming home from the Rolex 24, after filling up in Tallahassee, on one of those nice 270 degree rollercoaster turn feeders onto I-10, I was already at the top of 3rd gear and thinking about going to 4th for the last turn bit, but glimpsing the speedo... Oh Boy, already going way too fast! Had to slow down quite a bit to get down to highway cruise speed. The chassis was planted as could be and was willing for more. Car is a riot to drive with it's 'underpowered' motor, just keep the annoying and retarded traction/stability control 'off' - especially if not on the stock tires. The '17 may have fixed the issue though.

IMO, if the car had the significant bump in power 'everyone' wants from the factory, it would be going against the reason it was built in the first place. If it had a Turbo motor, then I would have NEVER considered getting one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
629DQeXZETHsSQnbMSfggTh5y15Iv8iz1hNfsCvewYt4H7Z8Oeyr0CJUuEIfj2sJ