David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/19 12:46 p.m.
feature_image

Wagons are cool. Wagons that make a ton of power are even cooler. And then there’s this, which might be the coolest wagon of all time: the AMG E 63 S.

It takes the classic E-Class wagon and then stuffs it full of AMG goodness–like a 603-horsepower, 4.0-liter, turbocharged V8 engine. And a nine-speed automatic. And all-wheel drive that …

Read the rest of the story

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/29/19 1:16 p.m.

My parents have a previous-gen E350 wagon.  I like the softer lines on this one much better... and I wish I could get those forged wheels on my Jag.

600 horsepower!
Drift mode!!

Starting price: $109,000 crying

David S. Wallens
5/29/19 2:39 p.m.
nderwater said:

Starting price: $109,000 crying

I might choose living in one. Seriously, one of the finest cars I have ever driven. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/29/19 3:05 p.m.

I love these.  It’s surprising how much the AMG wagons retain their value over the sedans.

David S. Wallens
5/29/19 3:22 p.m.
Cotton said:

It’s surprising how much the AMG wagons retain their value over the sedans.

Yeah, that sucks. 

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
5/29/19 3:26 p.m.

I'll have the red one.

David S. Wallens
5/29/19 4:44 p.m.
Aspen said:

I'll have the red one.

Our test car wore the red. It looked very striking. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/29/19 4:53 p.m.

berkeley.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/29/19 7:49 p.m.

Gorgeous 

it looks too soft and rounded . Previous gen looked better in the rear 

former520
former520 HalfDork
5/30/19 1:05 a.m.

I was at lunch a couple of weeks ago and there was one of these in the lot.  It was a micro brew with an odd dirt lot on an old industrial area.  Dude backed into the side of it with his X3.  There was some serious man crying as he looked up how much they cost ...

They are fantastic in person, definately on the list when depreciated.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/30/19 4:03 a.m.

I'm not sure I'm E class wagon people, but I think I'd like to be someday when I grow up.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/30/19 5:43 a.m.

I give you guys all the credit in the world for actually handing the keys back to Mercedes voluntarily.  They would have needed the police and a pry bar to get the keys to that thing out of my hand.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/30/19 5:47 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

I’m right there with you. This is an ultimate car guy daily driver. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/30/19 7:33 a.m.
Cotton said:

I love these.  It’s surprising how much the AMG wagons retain their value over the sedans.

Pretty much never for sale either.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/30/19 7:59 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Did you get to drive these on track?  If so, what were your driving impressions?

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/30/19 8:03 a.m.

These are at the top of my list for my next car in 2 years.  I want at least a 2016+ one, so I need depreciation to do its thing for me!  Gotta drop into my price range with the cost of a nice, long aftermarket warranty included...

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/19 8:52 a.m.

Last summer a guy showed up at Cars and Coffee with one of those.  He parked in the back of the lot and when I started dragging my 10 year old over to look at it he gave me the biggest "Why are we looking at this thing when there is an Aventador and a GTR sitting over there".  Lottery car for sure.

David S. Wallens
5/30/19 8:53 a.m.
Klayfish said:

I give you guys all the credit in the world for actually handing the keys back to Mercedes voluntarily.  They would have needed the police and a pry bar to get the keys to that thing out of my hand.

Totally true story: Once I heard that we were getting it, I flat-out told them that they were not getting it back. 

David S. Wallens
5/30/19 8:55 a.m.
nderwater said:

Did you get to drive these on track?  If so, what were your driving impressions?

The car arrived on a Thursday that I was signed up for a Track Night in America. So, halfway jokingly, I started to explain that I was heading to a low-key track event that evening.

Before I even finished my sentence I got a "no."

I did wind up driving the car *to* a track, but that was for Formula Drift. 

David S. Wallens
5/30/19 8:58 a.m.

I also drove it to my friend's Miata meet in Orlando. It turned a few heads. Plus, yeah, the drive over was pleasant. 

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/30/19 9:04 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

The car arrived on a Thursday that I was signed up for a Track Night in America. So, halfway jokingly, I started to explain that I was heading to a low-key track event that evening.

Haven't you done this long enough to know that you don't ask for permission, but forgiveness?  cheekydevil

David S. Wallens
5/30/19 12:49 p.m.
bcp2011 said:
David S. Wallens said:

Haven't you done this long enough to know that you don't ask for permission, but forgiveness?  cheekydevil

Yes--but I also greatly value my relationship with Angelo. :)

David S. Wallens
5/30/19 12:50 p.m.

And, seriously, it was funny how he got out the "no" before I finished asking my question. 

RJStanford
RJStanford GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/31/19 3:01 p.m.

That's too bad.  I have a 2011 E63, and besides being my daily I've logged a ton of track miles in it.  They're surprisingly competent cars, and the new ones are even better.  Wish it was the wagon, but they didn't release it for the W212 / M156 combination I wanted. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1FSX0wI8cQXgipKn4kBhrLchSePFHdGcI7Oj1KqzIl0RkYeds6oJvRRSBw4w0CT8