Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/14/23 4:36 p.m.
feature_image

A supercharged V8-powered Cadillac with a manual gearbox? What a time to be alive.

Read the rest of the story

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/14/23 6:35 p.m.

Thank you for sharing kind sir.....gives me impetus to start attending to the maintenance issues I'm currently beset with (new clutch, new rear end with Strange 9inch, rebush IRS, find/repair gas tank leak, pull dash to R&R the HVAC controller)

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/14/23 7:59 p.m.

I don't know that that's what I'd buy if I was shopping for a $100,000 car but I'm excited that it exists and I hope that lots of people do buy them.  I also hope that at least one if those buyers brings it to one of the tracks I instruct at so I can drive it. 

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
6/14/23 9:03 p.m.

I want one so bad - V8 with lotsa horses, manual trans, nice interior......but the ass end of the car is just WRONG.

Where's the trunklid? The roofline tapers all the way to the spoiler. This ain't no Honda hatchback, GM - sedans should have a TRUNK.

Guess I'll just have to keep my Pontiac G8. Yeah, it doesn't have quite the power, but I do have a 418 forged, supercharged, intercooled stroker LS on an engine stand in the garage.

Perhaps I should install it.  

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/14/23 9:10 p.m.

My buddy has one and it's incredible.  I lust after them, but it's a hard use case for me.  Basically my perfect daily driver, but I know where that would lead.  I would stress about keeping it nice, I would get bored of not being able to stretch its legs on public roads, and I would eventually tire of it.  At a similar price I'd probably get a C8 even though it would be wildly impractical by comparison.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/15/23 8:51 a.m.

Reminder that the '16-19 CTS-V only give up a little bit of power, look better, and cost tens of thousands less

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/15/23 12:50 p.m.

Looked at these before buying the C8. The wait list is insane and the addendums at the time were 15-20K over sticker on a custom order but one hell of a car. 

bumpsteer
bumpsteer Reader
6/15/23 6:16 p.m.
calteg said:

Reminder that the '16-19 CTS-V only give up a little bit of power, look better, and cost tens of thousands less

They give up one critical item though:

A third pedal.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin New Reader
6/15/23 10:29 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Looked at these before buying the C8. The wait list is insane and the addendums at the time were 15-20K over sticker on a custom order but one hell of a car. 

Wife said I could place an order for one shortly after release, but only at MSRP. Dealer barely hid their laughter at the notion of sticking to MSRP. 

It was going to be a (big) stretch at $9x,xxx, so $125k was laughable to me. I'll stick with my 2nd gen V (with 3 pedals) while steady telling my wife I want a CT5 V blackwing. I'd settle for a slicktop, 6MT 2nd gen wagon, but those things have also found their way firmly out of my budget. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/15/23 10:55 p.m.

In reply to Spearfishin :

The Corvettes and these do not get the employee discount.  I built the cheapest one but there's a leather package I can't get rid of.

My first house cost $91,500.  

I've got $25,000 saved for my next work vehicle so it's a mortgage - borrow $75,000 to get this?  LOL.  

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/15/23 10:57 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

... I would stress about keeping it nice, I would get bored of not being able to stretch its legs on public roads, and I would eventually tire of it...

Yeah I recently sold a Jaguar F-Type R for the same reasons, including it having very little cargo space. Everyone's situation is different, and if you aren't driving the car - or don't want to - and aren't rich enough to store it and hope that it appreciates, it's time to move to something that'll get used.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin New Reader
6/16/23 6:31 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Spearfishin :

The Corvettes and these do not get the employee discount.  I built the cheapest one but there's a leather package I can't get rid of.

My first house cost $91,500.  

I've got $25,000 saved for my next work vehicle so it's a mortgage - borrow $75,000 to get this?  LOL.  

I'm sure I'll kick myself if they soar to astronomical values in the future, but I'd intend to drive it...and track it (at least once) so my hypothetical Blackwing wouldn't be a pristine example in the future, anyway. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f9vJPgF3KZJNJCNOFDgvL6mH5XHCjfBEiDK4sgPT9UPG1ouJYd62m4CXZRzC9BwK