1 2
AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/8/20 7:23 a.m.

I don't like rust. I don't like rotten interiors. I don't want another project. I don't think that I can drive by again without calling 'Hack' to see what his intentions are.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/20 7:58 a.m.

Strapping that car across the body?  Ugh, that's reserved for cars going to scrap 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/8/20 8:17 a.m.

I think, if it's as rusty underneath as it looks like it probably is, you should chop everything off of your least favorite Boxster and have it wear that body as a hat.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I think, if it's as rusty underneath as it looks like it probably is, you should chop everything off of your least favorite Boxster and have it wear that body as a hat.

+1

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/20 8:44 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I'd like to +2, but I bet he's a 'I KNOW WHAT I HAVE NO LOW BALLERS' and he'll wnat $30k for it.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/8/20 11:36 a.m.

I'm actually sort-of related to the owner, but we have only met a couple times. My son is married to his granddaughter. He is quite a character and has lots of great stories to tell. He had talked about having a bunch of old Porsches, but it sounded like they were all gone or rusted away. I knew that he lived in town, but never realized where until I saw the trailer with the 356s on it in front of his house. 356s... there are actually two on the trailer, but driving by I only got a pic of the one.

I called him this morning to ask if he'd like to show them to me. Yes he would, but "They are not for sale." His story goes, that years ago he also had a '54 Speedster - very cool limited production model. It needed work and values were down at the time when he was approached by a restorer and offered decent money for it. He sold it, it was restored for a celebrity and was recently valued at over $1,000,000. Yes, the restoration and celebrity added the value, but ...it was his, he sold it cheap, it's worth over a million now. I get it.

What am I going to do? I'm going over on Thursday to help him replace the covers and get a look at them. He is getting old and less mobile to do any sort of work on them, but it makes him happy to have them. I'm going to be happy just seeing them, learning about them, and hearing his stories. I realize that I don't need another car, but maybe I can help him enjoy his. Hopefully I'll get some good pics and record some of his story.

Pic of a restored Speedster, just because:

wspohn
wspohn Dork
6/8/20 11:52 a.m.

Should be a mammoth estate sale when he passes on. Certainly not the first time that someone is bedazzled by the restored value of a car and can't figure out why he should sell a car that will be worth $100K restored for $20K. The fact that the restoration itself will cost $100K seem to go right over their heads.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/20 12:34 p.m.

Looks like a 356C that's missing it's engine. Can't wait to see more.

6/8/20 12:39 p.m.

Be on his good side so when he realizes it's time he calls you.  This is why i have a couple of the cars i do, and a couple more that I'm the only one who knows about them.  

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/20 9:43 p.m.
wspohn said:

Should be a mammoth estate sale when he passes on. Certainly not the first time that someone is bedazzled by the restored value of a car and can't figure out why he should sell a car that will be worth $100K restored for $20K. The fact that the restoration itself will cost $100K seem to go right over their heads.

Sounds like my great-uncle. A long-time car hoarder (mostly old Cadillacs and other 60s-70s heavy stuff). Everything he had rusting out in his farm field "he just saw one just like it at auction last week for $50,000" (an old Scout that had floors you could walk through) or "He just redid the whole brake system and it has new tires" (and old Cadillac whose wheels were literally sunken to the hubs in the dirt from sitting for a decade). I tried many times to help him sell them off (some of you may remember), but they were all worth too much to him and had too many memories of him working on them decades earlier or whatever.

Several years later as he succomed to demeitia, most of them went to scrap or were sold off for fractions of what I could have moved them for when I first tried, if he had let me. But he did love them like they were his kids. And the guy was generous to a fault, but certain things he just thought somehow he was gonna take with him when he died I guess....

If this guy is like my great-uncle, they'll sit and waste away until he passes, and then you'll be bidding against a collector.

I did manage to help sell off $10k+ worth of his "prized possessions" (mostly other non-car stuff), but that was with his wife basically doling it behind his back once he was moved to a "home" and then she'd simply tell him she sold his Cadillac for $10k (when she actually sold it for $2k) or his huge welder for $4k (when it actually sold for $200 since it was rusted badly) - but it made him happy to hear that all his valued possessions were just as valuable as he said they were (little did he know....), before he forgot all of it and eventually passed.

I know it sounds bad, but make sure you're in good with whomever his beneficiary is (wife, daughter, etc), I guess.....because if he's like my uncle, those cars will sit there until he's gone. 

octavious
octavious Dork
6/9/20 6:59 a.m.

Post some pics of you can. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/20 7:30 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I'd like to +2, but I bet he's a 'I KNOW WHAT I HAVE NO LOW BALLERS' and he'll wnat $30k for it.

It's a 356, it will get bid up to $45k

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 2:08 p.m.

Let me be clear; I would love to have a 356 project car to rebuild and play with, but I already own enough cars and projects to keep me happy until I am in the position that Hack is in today. I'd love to have a hand in bringing one of these cars back to life. I know that I don't have the time or commitment to do it right, without dropping everything else that I'm working on. I think that the best I can do is document what he has and the stories behind them and do what I can to help preserve them. I don't need to own the cars or obligations that come with them.

...and of course if one is too far gone already for a future restoration, convince him to let me put it on a Boxster as a hat.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 2:26 p.m.

and if I did, it would be 'Plymford' style.

Not a Biebster.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/9/20 2:32 p.m.
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

and if I did, it would be 'Plymford' style.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/11/20 3:07 p.m.

I had a good visit with Lt. Colonel Hackworth today. We took the old rotting tarps off the cars and put new ones on. We talked about cars, military life, grandkids, and cats. As I was driving away, I realized that I still don't even know the exact years or details of either car. That's okay, I'll be back.

It was hard to tell the true condition of them during my visit, but one seems to be much better than the other. Both are pretty far gone. I can imagine the mostly silver one being restored and the mostly green one being a nice hat. Maybe some day, he'll want a Boxster and I'll want a hat. Not today.

They Are NOT for Sale.

They are not for sale.

One ...may ...be ...available.

I asked Hack, realistically, what he plans to do with them. The first answer was that he'd like to hold onto them as long as he can. They are still prized possessions in any condition. He would be interested in a deal where he could give one up and have the other restored for him to keep at the other party's expense. I have no idea how the numbers would work out for that and both sides would need a lawyer for the details.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/20 3:17 p.m.

has he driven a boxster?  because if he hasn't, maybe a drive in one would tell him he wants a boxster that looks like a 356, rather than a 356. ;-)

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/11/20 3:43 p.m.

I think I have three of those momos to complete the set on the silver car? Lol

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/11/20 3:46 p.m.

they are both the same model ,  T6 disc brake car , 356c or 356SC, same car , the SC has a few more HP ,

model year 1964 or 1965 , bodies were built at Karmann  or Reutter   and the motor in the photo is a VW bug motor.

Vin number is on the  plate between the gas tank and spare tire , 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/11/20 3:49 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I just emailed you back.

Here's the vin tag on the green one. Cropped from a big picture and hard to read...

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/11/20 4:02 p.m.

tag says 356c  1600 which is the motor size , 

Hard to read the VIN , its also stamped in the body to the left of the tag

6/11/20 4:06 p.m.

Trade him 2 running driving boxsters.  

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/20 5:01 p.m.

Neither one is a Carrera II, but I didn't expect that either.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/11/20 6:43 p.m.

I strongly dislike seeing cool cars rot into oblivion...  

octavious
octavious Dork
6/12/20 6:49 a.m.

Thanks for the pics. Probably made his day by being able to talk and show them to someone who wasn't just out to get them for cheap. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Km6hZUu16O62wfmqhcYEU28xQ28Tb5MAJ7zYc72XJGGpbGaMA5dJrd9y5dVbx849