J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/18/24 10:43 a.m.
feature_image

What’s a birthday party without some surprises? That was the thinking Ford had for its Mustang 60 event at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Here’s a quick rundown of what was revealed.

1. Want the Mustang GTD? Applications open now.

Photo by J.A. Ackley

Ford bills this as this as “street-legal, track-ready supercar power with Mustang soul.” Those interested in owning …

Read the rest of the story

J.A. Ackley
4/18/24 11:35 a.m.

For those looking for hints on the livery, here are two:

J.A. Ackley
4/18/24 11:36 a.m.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/18/24 1:33 p.m.

Yea I don't see the All Sport or Motorcraft in that new livery at all. 

Also was that render of the Mustang Experience Center done on a Playstation 2 modeling system? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/18/24 1:53 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

PS3

J.A. Ackley
4/18/24 2:19 p.m.

Here's another view of the GT3 car.

You can see the 1985 Roush Mustang on the hood. There's definitely some creative liberty taken with those splashes. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/18/24 2:29 p.m.

That's not too obvious from the side profile shot posted LOL. 

I see the Parnelli Jones Boss 302 Trans Am on the driver fender. 

There's the classic blue stripes on the front bumper from the GT350/same with the stripe on the bottom rear edge of the door. 

Grabber Blue Boss 302 Mustange on the driver rear quarter panel. 

I'm guessing some of the red could be the whistler mustang too. 

Not seeing homage from the mustang gtp cars of the 80s though

J.A. Ackley
4/18/24 2:57 p.m.

This might explain the Tommy Kendall Trans Am car homage a bit.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/18/24 3:18 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

This might explain the Tommy Kendall Trans Am car homage a bit.

what about the rear and front passenger quarter panel? 

Also I know Mike Judge was throwing shade at Gatorade but, the All Sport "Body Quencher" slogan has way too many parallels to "Thirst Mutalator" 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/18/24 3:21 p.m.

Also, I wish the Gen 3 Raptor had customizable gauges like the Mustang. That way I could at least look at something pretty whilst broken down. 

J.A. Ackley
4/18/24 3:32 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Okay, here's the info on the cars this livery pays homage to, per Ford:

1964 Tour de France Mustangs: Just five months post-debut, Mustangs prepared by Alan Mann Racing ended Jaguar’s five-year winning streak in touring-class races by clinching first and second places in the grueling Tour de France – a 10-day, 3,500-mile series of races and hill climbs. Out of 56 starters, the two Mustangs were among the 19 finishers, securing nine trophies at prestigious European circuits including Le Mans and Monza, driven by Peter Proctor and Andrew Cowan.

1965 SCCA B Production Mustang GT350: In 1964, as part of its Total Performance campaign, Ford turned to Shelby American to help homologate the Mustang for SCCA series racing. The resulting GT350, with its numerous enhancements, dominated the 1965 SCCA B-Production championship under Jerry Titus, winning three consecutive championships.

1966 Shelby American Mustang: The inaugural SCCA Trans-Am Series season in 1966 saw Tom Yeager and Bob Johnson secure Mustang's first Trans-Am victory at the Mid-America 300. Mustang won four of the seven races that season, securing the championship.

1970 Mustang Boss 302: The 1970 season saw the Bud Moore team, with drivers Parnelli Jones and George Follmer, dominate the SCCA Trans-Am Series, winning six races and securing both the manufacturer’s and driver’s championships with the Boss 302 Mustang.

1981 IMSA GTX Mustang: In 1981, Ford Motor Company's racing program saw a resurgence in sports car racing with the debut of the Zakspeed No. 6 turbocharged Miller Mustang, driven by Klaus Ludwig. Despite narrowly missing a win by a tenth of a second in its first race, the Mustang achieved breakthrough victories at Brainerd International Speedway and again at Sears Point in the GTX class, marking the launch of Ford’s renewed effort in sports car racing.

1985 Roush IMSA Mustang: The Roush Mustang GTO ended the 1984 IMSA season on a high note with a victory at Daytona by Willie T. Ribbs and Wally Dallenbach Jr., setting the stage for 1985. That year, the Mustang claimed nine IMSA race wins. John Jones won the driver’s championship, while Lynn St. James secured three victories, becoming the first woman to win in the series and contributing to Ford's manufacturer’s championship win.

1987 Roush IMSA Mustang: During the 1987 Daytona 24-hour race, the No. 11 Roush Mustang, driven by Tom Gloy, Bill Elliott, Lynn St. James, and Scott Pruett, clinched first place in the GTO class.

1997 Mustang Cobra Trans-Am: The 1997 SCCA Trans-Am season witnessed a dominant performance by Ford Mustang. Tommy Kendall, driving the Roush All-Sport Mustang Cobra, notched 11 consecutive victories, while Mike Borkowski won the final two races of the season. Kendall secured the driver’s championship for the third consecutive year.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/18/24 8:38 p.m.

The biggest influence is conspicuously missing from that list: the Harlequin Golf.

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
4/18/24 10:26 p.m.

All Sport. There is a blast from the past. It was carbonated if I recall. 

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/18/24 10:54 p.m.

I understand what they were trying to achieve... but it's a butt ugly livery.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/18/24 10:54 p.m.

I understand what they were trying to achieve... but it's a butt ugly livery.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
4/19/24 9:41 a.m.

I'm sorry, but all those graphics looks as if they were done by committee, and we all know how well that works.......

J.A. Ackley
4/19/24 10:05 a.m.
dxman92 said:

All Sport. There is a blast from the past. It was carbonated if I recall. 

Apparently, it's still around: https://drinkallsport.com/

I don't recall All Sport being carbonated - it was more of a Gatorade/Powerade type of drink. I remember drinking it, but, of course, it's been decades.

J.A. Ackley
4/19/24 10:46 a.m.

BTW, for those wondering about the livery, which uses splashes from notable cars, it has been done before.

For example, when BMW was testing its current GTP car.

More on that here:
BMW testing camo pays tribute to iconic models | News | Grassroots Motorsports

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/19/24 11:24 a.m.

I think the Jalopnik headline "Ford Wants To Remind You Of All The Times The Mustang Had A Good Livery By Giving It A Bad Livery" captures it nicely. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
4/19/24 1:55 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

Photo by J.A. Ackley

Tell us more about this two door Kia.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/24 2:06 p.m.

I'm taking the right front fender as an homage to Eleanor, not some race car :) Even more so after it's been banged around a bit.

Also, Foxtoberfest is an excellent name for an event.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bkgDjLLSg2g6lK9KH7lFOzdhMp8ySeyURvNRBwFnn3qPJq5nYhtdBBzq95RRJCnh