Maniac0301
Maniac0301 HalfDork
12/29/21 6:03 p.m.

I am looking to add a steering quickener to my Rallycross MR2. I understand that the preferred way is to change the rack for a faster one but I also know the national champion is using a basic quickener so I think I'll do ok.

I have questions for anyone that has done so. I intend on running a 1.5:1 quickener and I need to think about what I need to purchase, where to install it, and what modifications to the steering shaft I need to make. From what I understand most of them have you cut the steering shaft and weld on a coupler that attaches to the quickener. I can't find info on what size the steering shaft is for the coupler.

Right now I'm planning on mounting it on the bracket that holds the height adjustment for the steering wheel I would love to retain the height adjustment if possible. It seems like the whole shaft is encased in a tube I assume I will need to remove along with the various brackets that hold on the turn signals and key cylinder. Am I wrong in any of these assumptions?

Pics and info on what you got, how you did it, and if there is anything likely to trip me up would be awesome.

Here's the quickener I'm currently looking at purchasing along with the matching couplers.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hre-5225

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/29/21 8:07 p.m.

You can get quick ratio gears for the steering rack instead.  I'm thinking I may go this route one day after the challenge. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/21 8:14 p.m.

The national champion does not have a steering quickener, or functioning shocks for that matter smiley  I forgot if he has manual or power steering.

The "easy" way is to bolt the quickener to the dashboard and attach the steering wheel to one end and the steering shaft to the other.  The problem with this is it will be a bit flexible without a third mounting point, and it will make the steering shaft bind when you flex the quickener around.

I cut up a steering column and spliced the quickener in.  2:1 quickener on a 3 turn rack is wonderful.

Doing the actual mating, you're going to have to go downtown on your column and figure out what size things are by yourself.  There are a lot of different adaptors for the 3/4-36 spline that seems like everyone uses.  IIRC for mine I found that there was a place in the steering column's shaft that were 19mm OD, so I was able to just use some 3/4" smooth by 3/4"-36 adaptors and do a bit of welding.

Relevant page of build thread

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qTrqTgwmaviIP1EvekHuH21a1k44eYYQ6aw7Co20M0cMX49lYZUH9CddygRhDP0M