1 2 3 4
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/16 3:05 p.m.

Bicycle boys who aren't paying attention in traffic don't last long. Self correcting problem.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
8/16/16 3:09 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

That is another thread topic for another day

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/16/16 3:21 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: They have "Hobocop" out here in Langley. It's a traffic cop, dressed like a homeless guy who's out panhandling in traffic. What he's really doing is telling his buddy down the road which driver is using their phone. I ride a motorcycle. If you text and drive, you're a careless sack of E36 M3, plain and simple.

Does hobocop know that the person is sitting still in traffic changing the song on their phone, looking down at the nav on their phone, or texting? The problem is that ALL cell phone use is now considered "texting." Hell, I've looked down at the radio or HVAC in the center stack for longer than I've looked at the nav screen on my phone. But now if I glance down for any reason, EVEN IF I'M STOPPED IN TRAFFIC, hobocop and other cops assume I'm texting and that's BS. It's a witch hunt. And the worst part is it STILL only affects less than 1% of the driving population annually (the number of people injured in all auto accidents annually and you can't tell me that all auto accidents are due to texting...)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/16/16 3:28 p.m.

Blame it on societies rule that we can only go as fast as our slowest person.

Texting idiots ruined responsible use of an electronic device for the rest of us.

I just leave my phone in the console and don't touch it while I'm driving. I don't want a ticket so I don't use it.

If I'm using it as a nav device, then it's in the RAM mount on my dash.

I'm not trying to tell you about accident stats or anything like that, I'm also not advocating or condemning what the cops are doing. I just stated the current situation where I live.

Please don't read more into what I posted than is really there.

Chris_V wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: They have "Hobocop" out here in Langley. It's a traffic cop, dressed like a homeless guy who's out panhandling in traffic. What he's really doing is telling his buddy down the road which driver is using their phone. I ride a motorcycle. If you text and drive, you're a careless sack of E36 M3, plain and simple.
Does hobocop know that the person is sitting still in traffic changing the song on their phone, looking down at the nav on their phone, or texting? The problem is that ALL cell phone use is now considered "texting." Hell, I've looked down at the radio or HVAC in the center stack for longer than I've looked at the nav screen on my phone. But now if I glance down for any reason, EVEN IF I'M STOPPED IN TRAFFIC, hobocop and other cops assume I'm texting and that's BS. It's a witch hunt. And the worst part is it STILL only affects less than 1% of the driving population annually (the number of people injured in all auto accidents annually and you can't tell me that all auto accidents are due to texting...)
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 4:20 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: Does hobocop know that the person is sitting still in traffic changing the song on their phone, looking down at the nav on their phone, or texting? The problem is that ALL cell phone use is now considered "texting."

IIRC, driving while holding a device that is capable of making phone calls is illegal in Quebec. Doesn't matter what you're doing with it.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
8/16/16 6:31 p.m.

I was driving down I-94 a couple of weeks ago when I came up on someone doing the familiar "drift/correct, drift/correct" that usually ends up being a texter. In this case, when I get up next to the car on my way past (he was also going 5/10 under the speed limit), the dude has a tablet on the steering wheel and is surfing the net!

A slightly related note for Chevy, the "Mobile Wifi Hot Spots" in the new Malibu are awesome.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
8/16/16 7:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Chris_V wrote: Does hobocop know that the person is sitting still in traffic changing the song on their phone, looking down at the nav on their phone, or texting? The problem is that ALL cell phone use is now considered "texting."
IIRC, driving while holding a device that is capable of making phone calls is illegal in Quebec. Doesn't matter what you're doing with it.

Same for MD where Chris_V lives.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kEWBqUua8ePFqPA80uYAGl2uvNVmqul0ZhlrlnJZifravFzbbHSFvvDcRTvUj8CR