1 2
neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/9/08 11:27 p.m.

there have been many mixups between the coupe and sedan. As I have heard, instead of being a cheap alternate to a BMW, it would give the potential G8/ Charger customer a chance to get some ting with nicer amenities.

And yes, i was the ignorant SOB who refered to the coupe as a RWD tiburon when it was introduced.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
9/10/08 10:13 a.m.

Well... I heard 7-speed 'dsg' and while I think I'd prefer a manual still, DSG is much different than the Geytronic paddles of the past

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/10/08 11:36 a.m.

I can forgive the sedan for not having a manual. I can also forgive it for being pricier since it is a larger vehicle aimed at full-size luxury sedans.

I really hope the coupe is released at an inexpensive price as a competent 2+2, with an available stick. I would love to have it be 90% of a 135i or G35 for <70% of the price. Once depreciation takes effect this could be a very affordable and luxurious RWD DD that I could still have fun with at a track day or even drift.

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think the Genesis coupe has the potential to be a better car than the Toybaru that is supposed to come out. More so, since it's not just a unicorn right now.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
9/11/08 4:09 p.m.
P71 wrote: Get the G8 GT for $11K less

Ugh. The missus and I took a ride in one. Wanted to turn around a block out of the dealer's lot. Felt VERY heavy and slow; didn't feel like it had any giddyup. The seats felt very high, like truck seats. I had to recline the pass. seat a great distance to not feel like the roof was closing in on me.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
9/11/08 5:14 p.m.

I saw on in a parking lot yesterday. It was very BMW 5 series-esque. It even has a center console knob that looks like i-Drive.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
9/11/08 11:29 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think the Genesis coupe has the potential to be a better car than the Toybaru that is supposed to come out. More so, since it's not just a unicorn right now.

+1

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/08 11:07 p.m.

Genesis coupe has a 6-speed manual as standard according to the official site.

http://thegenesiscoupe.com/

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/16/08 11:22 p.m.

Does the Genisis have the same $.79 steering wheel that every other hyundai has? I thought the Steering wheel in my Accent GT was just cheap because.. Well it's an Accent. And then I sat in a High optioned Azera, and lo and behold.. The same steering wheel.. This time with cheap feeling Buttons. Wheee!

carzan
carzan New Reader
9/17/08 6:46 a.m.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008809130301

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
9/17/08 7:06 a.m.

So, Hyundai is heading upscale. It seems to me that they should have taken a page out of the Lexus playbook and maybe need to re-brand a division of the company. Genesis could have been the name for the whole division. I just see it hard to sell "premium cars" in a brand that is known for super cheap cars. Will the Accents parked next to Genesis(es) (Genesi) detract from the image?

Or, maybe this low end will fall on Kia and Hyundai will be the upscale?

Personally, I will admit that I had such a bad experience with a Sonata rental car that I had Hertz note my account with "no Sonatas." Earlier this year I did have to take a '09 Sonata and it really was nice.

carzan
carzan New Reader
9/17/08 8:04 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: So, Hyundai is heading upscale. It seems to me that they should have taken a page out of the Lexus playbook and maybe need to re-brand a division of the company. Genesis could have been the name for the whole division. I just see it hard to sell "premium cars" in a brand that is known for super cheap cars. Will the Accents parked next to Genesis(es) (Genesi) detract from the image? Or, maybe this low end will fall on Kia and Hyundai will be the upscale? Personally, I will admit that I had such a bad experience with a Sonata rental car that I had Hertz note my account with "no Sonatas." Earlier this year I did have to take a '09 Sonata and it really was nice.

From the article:

"...Hyundai at one time considered creating a luxury brand for models such as the Genesis but decided the cost was too high for the rewards.

Hyundai was wise in moving gradually up-market from its current position, avoiding the marketing boondoggle of Volkswagen's exotically priced Phaeton... "

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the new cars are really successful, they might make Genesis into its own division down the road.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/17/08 8:10 a.m.
dculberson wrote: One thing that will work in the grassroots favor is the abysmal depreciation on Hyundais. I'm sure these will do a little better at first, since they're new, but give it a few years and these will be on the used market for cheap.

This is what I'm counting on...in a few years maybe I'll finally get my hands on a modern rear drive V8 sedan (too bad it won't be a GTO).

Our 2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon has served us very well. No problems with it and I'd recommend hyundai to others. That was the only new car I'll ever buy, but I don't regret it for a second. 100K miles and going strong. It is ready for a CV axle, come to think of it.

Clem

skruffy
skruffy Dork
9/17/08 9:23 a.m.

My dad looked at one recently (he's had a slew of Euro luxo barges, mostly bimmers and jags) and he was fairly impressed. He won't buy one because the potential for rapid depreciation is pretty high and, well, he doesn't want to drive a Hyundai. He also expressed some concern for reliability, but his last Jag (04' XJ8) was a total piece and left him stranded at least twice. It also needed the engine harness replaced once... I can't imagine a Hyundai being any less reliable than an english ford lolz.

Come to think of it, all the bimmers he's had have needed the entire cooling system replaced at one point in time and I know of at least one 7 series he got rid of fearing an impending transmission failure. I guess Hyundai doesn't really need to shoot for the stars here to impress luxury buyers...

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
9/19/08 9:16 p.m.
Duke wrote:
WilD wrote: I know I would never consider it because I see all Hyundais as just a cheap Korean knockoff of other cars. I don't know much about their newer offerings, but when I was looking at the possibility of purchasing one some years back that is exactly what they were.
Drive a new one. They are not that any more.

You are right. They are cheap Korean home-"engineered" knockoffs of other cars.

In my opinion, the "Mitsubishi" era are the best Hyundais, because the engineering was somewhat solid. (Bear in mind, we're still talking about Mitsubishi, which is synonymous with crap) When they branched off on their own, they didn't go for "better" so much as they did "cheaper", and you no longer had the option of swapping on a part made for a Precis/Mirage.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TCvYGiS5oYZ2IFhyLzXCKCL0fIRzMxXLrqrcH12xLuU7nnzDMGkXk1tdWyMrURm4