1 2 3
ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/29/10 1:40 p.m.

Pardon me genlemen, but could you please enlighten me about the Volvo 740?

It seems I may have the opportunity to get a "nice" 740 turbo wagon that won't start for "whatever you think it's worth" from an acquaintance of mine.

I don't know ANYTHING about the car other than that (year, transmission type, color, etc)...and the extent of my Volvo 740 knowledge was just bolstered by a cursory glance at a wiki page about them. So...yeah...I don't know much.

I know they have a very good reputation for being durable and safe cars.

As a daily driver, I suppose a turbo would be entertaining enough for me.

There was a long production run, so I'd assume there are lots of "factory parts bin" type upgrades for them. Do tell.

What is the hot setup for suspension, power, comfort, etc. How do the A/C systems take to R134A conversions? Does it have a timing belt...if so, is it an interference engine?

I was about to ask about good forums from them but remembered turbobricks as I typed (I've heard that one mentioned here before). Are there others?

Tell me what you know...what you love, what you hate, what makes them go, what keeps them from going, etc.

Thanks!
Clem

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
1/29/10 1:55 p.m.

Clem, if you haven't tried the "search" function here, that's a good place to start.

I was also looking at a vintage Volvo a month or two ago, a good website to try is www.ipd.com. I'm not sure, but I think www.pelicanparts.com may also have a section for Volvo (I can't say for sure as I haven't been there in awhile).

Some folks believe that the 740 and it's related 940/960 are the last of the "true" Volvos, and as such are slow(ish) depending on engine/transmission, and are very solidly built. Hey, they don't just LOOK like tanks.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
1/29/10 2:05 p.m.

The 740 is 4cyl, turbo (optional) and is RWD! In wagon form they are quite spacious and capable haulers.
I am an 850 wagon owner which is 5 cyl and FWD so I really have little experience with your much different breed. Even though they look similar, our cars are very different but as elluded to above, your version is very well respected in the Volvo world.
I thought I would write and provide you with some parts sources in case you need to research some initial repair costs.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/index-exec/
http://www.eeuroparts.com

Popular Forum:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
1/29/10 2:06 p.m.

They are awesome cars. I own JDs old 945T, which is pretty much the same thing. The engines make great power when the boost is turned up. Cams and turbos can be swapped. Parts are everywhere at ipdusa, and information is everywhere here and on turbobricks. Mine is running high 14s now, which isn't bad, but I have some odd PCV issue which I must fix before going any further.

Part are pretty cheap, and the timing belt is right out front there. I think it is a interference engine, but I am not entirely sure.

As far as handling, they seem pretty darn good, but camber isn't adjustable from the factory. The rear end is solid axle, if you care (I like it, personally) and a dana unit, so parts are around.

The guy next to you in the Mustang will look very confused when you start pulling away.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/29/10 2:07 p.m.

about the search funcion...I did run a search for "Volvo 740" in "forum posts" and it returned exactly one result (a thread about V70 or something).

That might have been a search glitch, but I wanted to make it known that I did, indeed, search before posting.

Clem

Carson
Carson Dork
1/29/10 2:23 p.m.

I don't think you'll find too many people here upset about the search button like you do on other forums.

I have noting to add other than they seem to take American v8s well if the engine turns out to be shot.

Do a google video search for "Volvette"

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/29/10 2:31 p.m.

Yes...not too many search button nazis here, myself included...but when called out, I felt the need to defend. It does say "PowerDork" next to my screen name and all...

I'd LOVE a V8 242. If I get the 740 for a DD, I would not be surprised at all if I don't start an active search for a 240 of some sort for a V8 project.

Clem

Carson
Carson Dork
1/29/10 2:40 p.m.

I know, I was saying it indirectly to Integraguy through you.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
1/29/10 2:41 p.m.

A. Search just does not seem to every work well on this board.

B. That really seems to be no problem because there is a fierce group here that are more than willing to spout out again and again what they know on a topic.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
1/29/10 2:45 p.m.

I loved my 945t that Tuna has now. Missed it enough to buy a 745t when one crossed my path As mentioned turbobricks is a good source. Cheapest stock parts I've found are at eeuroparts. On my last $200 order they beat IPD by $50! For aftermarket watch ebay and the turbobricks classifieds like a hawk and snag stuff for cheap.

Bottom line is they can be made to handle decently and go like stink for very little money. And they last forever-250k miles is nothing. Don't worry if yours isn't turbo because its very easy to "+t" it using all the stock parts.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/29/10 2:49 p.m.

Thanks for the info!

I'll check this thing out and see what I've got and probably ask for some more specific input. I was specifically told this one is a turbo...so that's a plus.

A turbo, rear drive wagon...that does sound appealing.

Thanks again, Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/29/10 2:50 p.m.

Yeah...I suppose I may have been being a bit passive-aggressive myself about the search thing.

No worries to anyone involved...it's good stuff.

Clem

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
1/29/10 2:52 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: A turbo, rear drive wagon...that does sound appealing.

They even could be had with a 5 speed manual. Hold hope!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/29/10 2:57 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

Yes...I'm very hopeful it's a 5 speed. I don't recall if he told me it was, or if I assumed it. Beer was involved...

Clem

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
1/29/10 3:00 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: In reply to jrw1621: Yes...I'm very hopeful it's a 5 speed. I don't recall if he told me it was, or if I assumed it. Beer was involved... Clem

Never done the auto to manual swap yet, but If I can get everything including the pedals out of the junk yard donor in 2 hours with hand tools it can't be all that hard. With beer it might take longer

weezilusa
weezilusa New Reader
1/29/10 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

Depending on what year it is, there are some inherrant benefits to the later models... my last 740 was an '85 though, and it served me well. 85-89 models had smaller connecting rods, and Bosch LH2.2, also they typically had a Garrett T3. Later models 90+ had larger connecting rods, and a better exhaust manifold... but smaller turbo. Its popular to re-clock the Mitsubishi 15g found on the 850 turbos for a nice upgrade, or there are a large portion of garrett options as well (porting of the 90+ manifold is a good idea, and they are prone to cracking, so inspect closely). With a stock cam, the motor shouldn't be interference, if you go bigger, it starts to get into interference territory. 90+ cars also should be LH2.4, with EZK ignitions. A guy on turbobricks sells chips (TLAO) for LH 2.4 which allow for higher rev limit and better fuel mapping. He made over 300hp with that on a pretty mild setup (big turbo and custom exhaust mani), but good for stockish fuel management.

Sky is the limit really too if you want to do a build... The real hot setup tends to be a 16 valve turbo... A guy on the Board just put down 578 to the wheels, while his tranny was dying.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
1/29/10 6:24 p.m.

Hehehe. I have a 15g and 90+ (two actually) waiting to go on my 89. Luckily it has a 13t on it already.I sold the 91 with TLAO and Fred's chips( extra ECU) and a chipped EZK. LH 2.4 is a bit better plus there are now MS PnP for it. Harder to find a manual flywheel though. Tuna has the M46 swap that I sold with the car. Had to search for a few months for that flywheel. If I ever build a Volvo engine from scratch I'll do it with a 93+ Oil squirters FTW.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
1/29/10 7:53 p.m.

You can add the oil squirters relatively easy from what I have heard.

Want to part with one of those 15gs? I can't seem to get to the yard what with the kiddies.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
1/29/10 8:14 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: You can add the oil squirters relatively easy from what I have heard. Want to part with one of those 15gs? I can't seem to get to the yard what with the kiddies.

Sorry, only one turbo. Two manifolds, but then you already have one. Several 15gs on turbobricks recently in the $150 to $250 range. Mine was $215 shipped, for reference. Already clocked and has a GReddy wastegate actuator. My sways were $185 but didn't come with the front frame mount spacers. I figured I'd spend $15 on steel to save $168 over new.

turbobricks classifieds FTW

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/29/10 8:51 p.m.

Can't say I ever liked working on mine. Many things were much harder to do than they should have been.

Easiest way to go crazy fast is to disconnect the waste gate pressure line. Then run high octane fuel in it. I don't know how many years mine was set up that way but that's the way it was when I got it, and that's the way it stayed for many years. Worked great, ran like stink, even when I sold it with 300k miles on it some years later. This method is strongly not approved of by the many naysayers over on turbobricks board.

The A/C handles R134 just fine. Mine was converted before I got it, and it never had a problem for the nearly 10 years I owned it.

The heater core on the other hand.... and that's a heck of a job to replace on a 740.

High performance factory parts are basically non-existant. IPD will become you friend for hot rodding parts.

It is an interference fit engine.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy New Reader
1/29/10 9:20 p.m.

The books say they are interference, but they are most positively not. In 30 years of working on the red block cars, I have changed dozens (if not hundreds) of broken belts, with no bent valves ever. 850 is a very different story- bust a belt, head for the wrecker and find a new bullet.

What was said about post 90 engines is true, but the early ones are ok. Listen to it cold, and you may hear a bit of piston slap. If its not scary loud, its normal. By the time they are LOUD, the cylinder walls are past the largest readily available oversize piston. I am a bit ashamed to state this, but I like the automatic trans better in a turbo. The Aisan Warner 71 trans is tough, and it allows you to stay on boost through the shift. The stick cars leave me a bit cold. Normally aspirated, give me a stick anytime.

Interior panels are hard plastic, break easily, and are poor quality for a Euro car. Front brakes are too small on all except the last turbo cars, but you can upgrade to the late brakes easily enough. We change a lot of strut rod bushings, but the rest of the suspension is fine.

The 700/900 cars never really captured the imagination and loyalty of people like the 200 series did, so they don't really command much of a price. They are very nice cars, don't rust much, drive great on the highway, mostly easy to work on, and really not that unreasonable to buy parts for. We'll see what the future holds now that the Chinese own them. I was very worried when Ford got control, knowing how hard it is to buy an odd part for an Explorer, but they still make everything for the 200's, and almost everything for the 140's. Time will tell, I guess.

eebasist
eebasist New Reader
1/29/10 9:37 p.m.

What kind of no start condition is it? The cars are notorious for a few little relays in the dash under the radio going bad.

As long as its the turbo, its non-interference, only the 16 valve motor is interference. I've busted a timing belt and walked to the store, replaced on the side of the road.

Should be an automatic transmission, I believe only the 240 turbo was available with a manual. The AW71 is a good tranny and the motors can take some nice boost.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/10 10:10 p.m.

I love 740 Turbos. I've had 2 late (91 & 92), 1 '88, and currently a '90 that I am selling for a friend.

Great cars. I loved my '91. 20psi of boost on a TD04HL-16t, Enem V15 Turbo cam, NPR intercooler, Ford browntop injektors, straight pipes out to the rear, DIY coilovers on Koni SA dampers, and IPD bars.

More fun that a wagon that large should EVER be.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/10 10:11 p.m.
eebasist wrote: Should be an automatic transmission, I believe only the 240 turbo was available with a manual. The AW71 is a good tranny and the motors can take some nice boost.

740 Turbos were avaliable manual, though as the years progress they get more rare. I don't think very many 91+ came with manuals. I've had a 90 and 88 both with manuals.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy New Reader
1/30/10 7:10 a.m.
eebasist wrote: As long as its the turbo, its non-interference, only the 16 valve motor is interference.

Like he says. I always forget about the 16 valve engines, since they were built only as a fashion statement.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nfPVnGiAo7VcKv2qPzpSrYBquATrJIE0GLOopJZB0qxnbbGIl4hp46bUf7am24Qp