1 2
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/3/20 12:55 p.m.

A few weeks ago I had a contractor come look at my Florida room's roof (patio, whatever it's called).  I figured a few $k and done.  He came back down and said I had issues.  (How did he know me so well?)

Showed me photos of holes in my berkeleying roof, one looked like a meteor hit it and went through the decking.  He quoted me "little over $10k".  Had a racing friend recommend someone he had used, he said $8.5k would cover it.  I'm going with MR2 racing friend's guy vs random dart on Google.

Called my insurance, someone looked at it last Wednesday before work.  I learned the difference between ACV and RCV coverage (I have the sucky one).  He sent me his estimate, $8600 repair cost and I get a whole $1822.  Gee thanks.

I worked really hard to get my finances back to black after my divorce, and the thought of another loan makes me ill.  I realized I had a 3rd car that gets used maybe 5 events if I'm lucky with schedules and rain, and already have the Crosstrek for winter now.

So, made the decision after a few days of thought to be an adult.  Luckily the guy that bought Subarust (my old 2.5RS) saw me comment on Instagram and was very interested.  He's coming down from Cleveland next Friday and is 99% committed (his words - if it doesn't blow up and I don't lose a limb).

Not sure how rallycross will fair for me.  Maybe I'll find a $500 E36 M3box Civic someday.  When things go back to "normal" I can at least come visit my friends for half a day.  Get a ride-along.

Did I mention adulting sux?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/3/20 12:59 p.m.

Once a tax check for $500 came and the next day the old dryer died.  Adulting bought a new dryer.   

I inherited some money from my dad and my 20 year house air conditioner died.   

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 1:06 p.m.

I sold my Cobra to replace the windows in my house. I feel you.

You're making the right move. There's always another car, but you need to have a place to live.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 1:13 p.m.

I parted out my camaro literally a couple easy days away from finishing a 4 year build at 21 when my parents and i all lost our jobs in 2 weeks so we could have groceries.  That i think was my first real experience in adulting

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/3/20 1:24 p.m.

Doesn't help you, but you are not alone. As soon as the world calms down I have to sell a car.

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20190829_120509_zps45ipyikr.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20181016_110850_zpsaboimxd5.jpg.html][/URL]

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/3/20 1:41 p.m.

That sucks.

But it's also a reminder for everyone to remember to read the terms of any contract you enter. And insurance is exactly that, you agree to pay X amount to have Y things covered.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/3/20 1:42 p.m.

I sold a B5 S4 Avant to pay annual taxes.  I used all my credit card points this past year to replace the water heater in the house.  Had to do stuff like that several times.

Sucks but its the right thing to do and if the vehicle is "extra" at least it shouldn't sting too much

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/3/20 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I understand the adult thing ! 

I had to give up 2 of my favorite cars to keep my home.  The Black Jack special which because of it's provenance and the group it runs with was worth north of $250,000 at one point. ( I got $55,100)  and My XKE V 12 Roadster race car which I had over 2500 hours in and $40,000 in new parts. ( I took $18,000). 
Now that was at the peak of the 2008 recession. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/20 1:56 p.m.

Is there something inherently complicated about your roof?  Is it flat and rubber?  Steep victorian thing 35' off the ground?  Roofs even decking replacement are pretty DIY friendly.  

GRM roof party at Jerry's?  #savetheWRX, #RallyXnotRoof

Honestly I'm supprised you got more then 1 quote and it sounds like you had contractors actually call you back.  Around me that's impressive.  I have had 5 separate tasks bid on my house years apart from each other and received 2 quotes total, 3 people actually call back and say they don't want to do it and I was ghosted by the rest out of a minimum of 20 Contractor contacts.  I thought it was me, but my initial contact simply said, I'm looking for someone to do X and I would like to discuss this with you.  

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/20 1:58 p.m.

just rallycross the crosstrek, they arnt that bad at it.

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/3/20 2:01 p.m.

I feel your pain. After my wife split, I sold my S2000 to pay past due bills and the mortgage. But,

life goes on and you can always get another car.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/20 2:13 p.m.

Good job!  Way to go!

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/3/20 2:17 p.m.

Yup, adulting sucks.

Every time the wife unit and I take a nice holiday, I come home to a dead major appliance.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/3/20 2:26 p.m.

I'm holding off on getting the Element and finishing bits for the boost on the 323 to finish paying off medical debts to raise my credit enough to be able to get a house again. I'll likely finance the element purchase through my credit union prior to purchasing the house in order to raise my score higher yet, but striking in the housing market while it's taken a hit and rates are low may be the play instead. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
6/3/20 2:37 p.m.

Been there, done that.  Actually got the t-shirt.  Not for house stuff, but for the kid.  1964 VW van I was in the slow process of restoring.  Sold it to buy my son's first racing kart.  Years later, sold my '03 MINI Cooper I had spec'd and bought new from the dealer to fund his two national karting championship races that year. 

-Rob

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
6/3/20 3:09 p.m.

It sucks. I sold a beautiful 2000 Pontiac Trans Am that I had dumped countless hours into with my father and way more money than I ever accounted for. I let it go because I had a kid on the way and I was in between jobs. 

I wish you the best in getting back on your feet. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/3/20 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

How much would it cost to no longer have a Florida room/covered patio? 

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/3/20 3:57 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

In reply to Jerry :

How much would it cost to no longer have a Florida room/covered patio? 

Wouldn't help.  Should have specified both holes are in the main house roof.  Seems to be running down the tiles underneath through a large crack elsewhere that I also photographed.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/3/20 4:29 p.m.

Agreed on the adulting sucks sometimes.  Got rid of the WRX at the beginning of the year for a multitude of reasons, but not having a > $400 car payment on what had essentially became a toy was part of it.  At least the savings from that has funded this year’s challenge entry, with money to spare for the emergency fund.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/3/20 4:38 p.m.

My '88 MR2 SC left in 2004 during a stint of unemployment.  It was that or the '90 Miata but the Miata had sentimental value.  I still have the Miata. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 5:49 p.m.
MrChaos said:

Ouch.

(The local who usually wins SA drives a Crosstrek)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 5:53 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Is Lori still selling the GTI?  Adulting in a different way:  Since January, I've spent probably what Jerry sold the WRX for on teh Volvo, and it is sitting in my garage not being driven because it tends to run hot and puke coolant from the exhaust in ways that would make ZB proud, because I'm too stubborn to not keep trying to repair it.  Easier to spend $300 ten times than $2000 once.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/20 6:00 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
MrChaos said:

Ouch.

(The local who usually wins SA drives a Crosstrek)

I mean SA here is a wrx or sti.... or an audi a4  or the passat w8 sedan...

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/3/20 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

If you've done all the obvious stuff head gasket,  water pump, radiator, check the distributor. 
pop the distributor cap off and grab the rotor and twist then let it go. If it snaps back smoothly in place it's probably fine.  If it doesn't or goes back slowly that's the problem.  The advance/retard mechanism is probably rusty or seized 

Basically  you're running around with the timing off.

pull the distributor. Take it apart and polish off the corrosion between the shaft and advance mechanism. Oil the assembly put it back together. Pretty simple work. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/3/20 6:47 p.m.

Since we're sharing in the fun.

I have to put a new transfer case in the wife unit's Suburban. It's sitting in my shop right now, $2000 spent on that.

Wife unit has a birthday this month. New transfer case won't cut it as a present.

Anniversary is end of the month. Yay, it's diamonds this year! Transfer case won't cut it as a present.

Property tax is due next month.

F-ing yay.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yqdzqwW2DLM4DeOb6TgXm9TaB1Kl8AotAah4AZzqb2q0DA4Qp5o48iZBeWAWXTKk