1 2 3 4
Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/18/24 6:47 p.m.

Next, we did panic stops with lane change, comparing Cup 2R vs TA Pro.  The Hoosier broke way better and with much more precise response.  

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/18/24 6:47 p.m.

Next, we did panic stops with lane change, comparing Cup 2R vs TA Pro.  The Hoosier broke way better and with much more precise response.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/18/24 6:55 p.m.

Just a question, since I'm not an autocrosser. Many have mentioned that the molded tread depth is likely to make it illegal for SCCA AutoX/TT. 

Is it legal to take a tire molded to a deeper depth and shave it to say 5/32" tread depth or shallower? 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/18/24 7:16 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Is it legal to take a tire molded to a deeper depth and shave it to say 5/32" tread depth or shallower? 

My understanding is yes.  If it wasn't, I'm not sure how'd you distinguish between someone who had shaved a tire and someone who had simply put 10K freeway miles on it.

jmp33
jmp33 GRM+ Member
9/18/24 7:25 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Absolutely, yes.  Some already do that.   

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
9/18/24 8:03 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

My understanding is yes.  If it wasn't, I'm not sure how'd you distinguish between someone who had shaved a tire and someone who had simply put 10K freeway miles on it.

Which is why it seems to be a dumb rule. It was probably put in place to try and prevent short life tire being required, but if they don't specify competition depth people with money to burn will just shave to the right depth for big events at least.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/18/24 8:16 p.m.

Final session was hotswaps on a small handling course between TA Pro, Cup 2R, and A052.  

Interesting to compare handling characteristics, but being the end of a hot day, it turned out to be an exercise in heat soak.  Cup2R was the worst in that regard. A053 and TA Pro about the same

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/18/24 8:16 p.m.

Final session was hotswaps on a small handling course between TA Pro, Cup 2R, and A052.  

Interesting to compare handling characteristics, but being the end of a hot day, it turned out to be an exercise in heat soak.  Cup2R was the worst in that regard. A052 and TA Pro about the same

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/18/24 8:21 p.m.

And a note on tire wear.  These are the heavily loaded RF tires from each of the brands.  Cup 2R wore the worst. A052 and TA Pro had similar wear rate though A052 started at 7/32 and TA Pro at 5/32.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/18/24 8:22 p.m.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/18/24 8:24 p.m.

bslarsen728
bslarsen728 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/24 11:36 p.m.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this tire in terms of final size list and in terms of which series allow it. For series that are wholly focused on high level racing, such as NASA and GridLife, I would bet that the tire will become legal. For series that have a mission to focus more broadly on participation (like SCCA), it is less clear. And for those who focus more broadly on industry as customer (eg: Optima), it is also less clear. For these latter organizations, tires like Vitour and Hoosier represent a big challenge to the vision of where the series want to take their "street" classes. Do they go back to the days of R-compound tires and the resulting (negative) impacts solely to appease the top level drivers? That is where this Hoosier and the Vitour play -- as tires that are honestly much more 100tw than 200tw, despite the sidewall markings. Or do they reset from where we are today and come up with a way to move back away from this (and even from the A052)? It will be interesting to see what the decision-makers do for 2025 and beyond. Regardless, we are back in a place where a handful of manufacturers have decided to roll the dice and push the limits, betting that sanctioning organizations will blink first.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/19/24 7:38 a.m.

It's the morning after, and here are some summary thoughts after spending a day with the tires on track, and an evening chatting up Hoosier's lead development engineer for the project

TrackAttack Pro is basically as much R7 performance as possible while still being a legitimate streetable tire.  Not just DOT road legal technically like the R7, but something that provides all of the heat tolerance, puncture resistance, and even a modicum of wet performance to match those of tires like the Cup2R, Trofeo R and Supercar 3R.  The latter all being tires with OE fitments, meeting the highest levels of suitability/safety for street use.

Is it an R7 with grooves?  No.  It's a completely new design, developed in the US at Hoosier's race tire facility, but borrowing from Continental's worldwide technology base.  The latest materials and construction techniques are employed to minimize any performance loss due to street-use needs.

Does it perform like an R7?  For the most part, yes. 

Is it faster than all the existing Super 200's?  Yes, and consistently so.

By how much?  Stay tuned...we have test tires arriving next week for the full GRM treatment.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
9/19/24 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

I guess me personally, who is this marketed towards then if not the SCCA type crowd?

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/19/24 8:02 a.m.
camopaint0707 said:

In reply to Andy Hollis :

I guess me personally, who is this marketed towards then if not the SCCA type crowd?

The same people that buy Cup2R, Trofeo R and Supercar 3R.  And even R7 users who want to safely drive their cars to/from the track.  I see these all the time at COTA track days. 

Will there be a groundswell of support from the community to get SCCA rules changed to allow the lower molded tread depth?  That remains to be seen.  These tires are at the pointy end of both performance and price.  And while owned by Continental, Hoosier is a racing tire company that has to make financial sense in it's pricing plans.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
9/19/24 8:12 a.m.

I'm curious to see their speed vs the SC3R

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/19/24 8:19 a.m.

Pricing comparo for 285/30-20 size ( a couple are 285/35):

Cup 2R - $537

Supercar 3R - $533

TA Pro - $495

A052 - $477

CRS V2 - $451

RE71RS - $440

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
9/19/24 8:19 a.m.

When does it get added to the official GRM Tire test comparison Chart?

Waiting to see how it compares to other stalwarts on the charts!smiley

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/19/24 8:23 a.m.

Part of the value proposition is also consistency over the life of the tire through multiple heat cycles.  Some tires, like the Falken RT660, heat cycle out long before the tread runs out.  A052, CRS V2 and RE71RS can be used from full tread almost to the cord, with little drop off if stored properly between uses.

In the past, A7 and R7 degrade much more quickly then their street tire counterparts.  How will the TA Pro do in this regard?  Guess I have a lot of laps to turn this winter...

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
9/19/24 9:03 a.m.

Hopefully they come out with a 245-40-18 tire size.  They've got the rear tire size I need but not the front...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
9/19/24 9:27 a.m.

Def don't see these being used in Chump or Lemons. Cool that there is another option out there. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/19/24 9:33 a.m.

A video test/comparison of the TrackAttack Pro from Jonathan Benson Tyre Reviews–plus a bonus GRM shoutout near the end! (Skip to around the 10:30 mark to see it)

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/24 10:17 a.m.

Wow, a 200 TW Hoosier! Faster than a bunch of 60-140TW tires and lasts just as long as my 200 TW Hankook RS4 because that's what the 200 means! Right?!?

Cleary that 200 TW rating means absolutely nothing and shouldn't be the defining characteristic of a "street tire" for any race category.

ClassicCarPerformance
ClassicCarPerformance New Reader
9/19/24 10:22 a.m.

No 17's?  Booo.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
9/19/24 11:34 a.m.
ClassicCarPerformance said:

No 17's?  Booo.

Coming Q4

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.