1 2 3
Shaun
Shaun Reader
4/13/10 9:38 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Shaun wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Seriously... "I am happy with my oil" is a ridiculous statement. Unless you are posting lab results to compare there is no way to quantify any of it. Its like saying "I am happy with my cholesterol" without having a blood test. This an Internet forum pet peeve of mine as much as all the asshats who see someone walk away from a serious crash and immediately say something like "Wow, that HANS device saved his life!" even if it happened to be that the car backed into the wall. Emotional attachment to an idea is not evidence of its effectiveness. [end rant]
I am very happy with my lubricant.

Is that hot-linked?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/13/10 9:55 p.m.
Shaun wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Shaun wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Seriously... "I am happy with my oil" is a ridiculous statement. Unless you are posting lab results to compare there is no way to quantify any of it. Its like saying "I am happy with my cholesterol" without having a blood test. This an Internet forum pet peeve of mine as much as all the asshats who see someone walk away from a serious crash and immediately say something like "Wow, that HANS device saved his life!" even if it happened to be that the car backed into the wall. Emotional attachment to an idea is not evidence of its effectiveness. [end rant]
I am very happy with my lubricant.
Is that hot-linked?

You betcha!

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
4/14/10 1:50 a.m.

I have used Amsoil on my Fiero for 12 years, between autocrossing, track days and drag racing never had an engine problem. The shop used to use it in place of gear lube on truck transmissions during the winter with no problems. On my daily driver I use Castrol but change it every 2k miles. A little excessive but I have had 2 Saturns that have survived for more than 230k miles with no engine issues.

footinmouth
footinmouth GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/14/10 5:04 a.m.

It doesn't matter how often you change your oil on an engine that was built just before a long 3 day weekend or on that following tuesday.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/14/10 5:52 a.m.

Never been able to get past the cult aspect of Amsoil. The cult members are rabid, and spout the church lines about their product being better than anything at absolutely everything.

Then I turn and look at my engines, many with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Driven hard, with turbos, etc. Regular dino juice oils. None of them have had an internal oil related failure. So why do I need some expensive miracle oil when the regular stuff works so well?

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
4/14/10 7:23 a.m.

The omen came to me when a friend convinced me to try Amsoil. My '76 Corolla had 80k miles on it at the time, and running fine. So I change the oil, in my driveway as I usually do, change the filter, pour in my new Amsoil and fired it up.

4 quarts of Amsoil ended up on the driveway! Turned out the filter gasket stuck to the block and I didn't realize it when I pulled the oil filter off and screwed the new one on. Of course, the new filter didn't seat well, hence the massive leak.

This was 25 years ago and I continue to change my own oil/filter and never before, nor ever after, has a filter gasket ever stuck to the block. I think my engine was telling me something then.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
5/5/10 9:13 p.m.
pigeon wrote: I'm having the oil changed (I know, I know...) on my 750 on Wednesday. I'll have a sample saved out so I can send it for oil analysis and post the results.

Thread back from the dead! Got my oil analysis today. Standard BMW synthetic 5W30, 15k miles, the additive package was used up but the oil in general was still very young:

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
5/5/10 9:26 p.m.

Thanks for posting that. It reminded me to get an oil testing kit from Blackstone.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
5/5/10 10:07 p.m.
footinmouth wrote: It doesn't matter how often you change your oil on an engine that was built just before a long 3 day weekend or on that following tuesday.

I think my car has a wire harness that was built right after that three day weekend. /end thread jack

Now back to oil; I've had several SAABs that have made it well past 200K miles with only standard Dino-Juice oil and regular oil changes. Three are still running well and one died of a hit & run at 240K miles. I Dissassembled the engine and found it nearly new inside, the only internal component that was ever replaced on that engine was the timing chain at 190k miles.

I wouldn't bother with sythinthetic oils for street driven engines unless the manufacturer specificly requires it. Racing engines are a completly different story though.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
5/5/10 10:10 p.m.

I got the answer to any oil/lubricant/etc question that you could ever have. Imagine a grm-type knowledge base for oil.

bobistheoilguy.com

For the most part, they're unbiased and there are alot of chemists the frequent the board.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
5/5/10 10:14 p.m.

I have an old registration at BITOG but don't have the password recovery email address anymore (yes, really old registration). New account waiting admin approval... In the meanwhile, I'm now very concerned about the very low TBN after doing some reading. I'll probably cut the oil change down to 10k miles and retest - I'll post my test results on BITOG and also call Blackstone to see what they think of the results.

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
5/5/10 11:12 p.m.

You are supposed to change the oil? How do you do that?

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
5/5/10 11:16 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: You are supposed to change the oil? How do you do that?

Drive car to dealer, wait 30 minutes, hand over Visa and BMWCCA card (club discount!), sign, drive away

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
5/5/10 11:20 p.m.

Or I heard shotgun is good for changing stuff - works for wheels, why not oil?

On LBCs I think they used the continuous top off method, only periodic filter changes needed!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
5/5/10 11:31 p.m.

Burn it or let it leak out. Top up as necessary.

Works for Harley Davidson and Pratt & Whitney, should be fine for you.

Pontiac V8's are good for that too. Thanks to the fantastic rope rear main seal, none of my Trans Ams have rusty floors.

Shawn

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
5/5/10 11:43 p.m.
footinmouth wrote: It doesn't matter how often you change your oil on an engine that was built just before a long 3 day weekend or on that following tuesday.

Ha! Every VW I ever owned was made on those days!

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
5/6/10 6:14 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
Burn it or let it leak out. Top up as necessary. Works for Harley Davidson and Pratt & Whitney, should be fine for you. Pontiac V8's are good for that too. Thanks to the fantastic rope rear main seal, none of my Trans Ams have rusty floors. Shawn

I had a Jeep once that rust proofed the cars behind me as well.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
5/6/10 7:47 a.m.

That's just a nice service you provide. My MG provided the same service until it was repowered.
I'm convinced it must leak oil from somewhere. Somehow my steering rack (uses gear oil) and transmission decided to start leaking when I swapped the engine.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/6/10 8:24 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: That's just a nice service you provide. My MG provided the same service until it was repowered. I'm convinced it *must* leak oil from somewhere. Somehow my steering rack (uses gear oil) and transmission decided to start leaking when I swapped the engine.

Hell - I'm not sure if there is a fluid that my Jeep DOESN'T leak.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
5/6/10 8:56 a.m.

It should be noted that Amsoil puts a time limit on oil changes. Max 1 year. If you drive 25K miles in one year it will be fine. Like me, I change my oil once a year since I don't put a lot of miles on either car. The same goes for their filters.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7WpERwl50aTekiLfCM86ebLC8RWQZBZ7A0Y6o7QqNzZU0mcn5riJWPNXoq1jNH7P