J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/29/23 12:38 p.m.
feature_image

Want to stage a rally race? How about a hillclimb? Maybe a road race on streets?

Putting on event on public roads often requires navigating through seemingly endless layers of governmental bureaucracy. Not so, in West Virginia. Legislation in the state streamlines the process, and Backroads of Appalachia is there to help. State legislators, among others, want motorsport organizers to …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/29/23 12:47 p.m.

All this talk about Appalachia and its growing motorsports scene has me wanting to take a road trip to do some backroads driving. 

J.A. Ackley
8/29/23 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

As someone who lives on the Tennessee side of the region, the area is chock full of beautiful roads, scenery and car-oriented people.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/23 1:57 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

I plan on being on the east side of I-75 in a few years.

J.A. Ackley
8/29/23 2:40 p.m.

In reply to preach :

Nice. You'll be on my side of I-75!

ConiglioRampante
ConiglioRampante New Reader
8/29/23 3:12 p.m.

From the article:

“We’ve been investing a lot of money recently in road maintenance,” said Howell. “We don’t wait for the potholes to form.”

I like that guy.  Hopefully that idea catches on elsewhere/everywhere. wink

Seriously though, wasn't there a story here about investigating a potential WRC race in the Appalachians?  (Tennessee rings a bell but I could be wrong.)

edit:  found it on Motor Trend  https://www.motortrend.com/features/tennessee-bids-for-world-rally-championship/

J.A. Ackley
8/29/23 3:30 p.m.

Yes, I was in Chattanooga for when WRC held a promotional event. They are recruiting volunteers as we speak.

More on my conversations with WRC and the Rally USA organizers here: Is there a real chance that WRC returns to the U.S.? | Articles | Grassroots Motorsports

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
8/29/23 5:05 p.m.

My brother and I have been motorcycling WV's great roads for many years, it is our go-to destination for The Adams Brothers Annual Bike Trip to Nowhere In Particular. Okay, we tend to hit North Carolina as well, but you get the idea. Great roads and rides abound down there, looking forward to an upcoming trip in the Z to those same roads.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/23 7:04 p.m.

Took the I77 back from the Challenge and can confirm scenic roads in mostly great shape. Here's a short clip I took, sorry the phone wasn't really positioned for taking video:

Don't go doing any calculations with those green signs now wink

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/29/23 9:32 p.m.

badass

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/23 9:37 p.m.

Small plug, SWVR SCCA is hosting the Great Lakes National RallyCross Challenge this weekend in Cottageville.  I know some GRMers are already signed up.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/23 10:35 p.m.

Based on the tire marks on the roads around here, there is definitely some "Motorsports" going on. Not sure who's running the sanctioning body .

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
8/30/23 8:50 a.m.

Wish the SVRA would bring back a vintage event to Sommit Point

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/23 10:35 a.m.

Kind of motorsports related: WV is Mecca for ATV trails and the whole SXS community.  I know, not everybody is in to that, but it is an internal combustion hobby.  

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/23 10:42 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Took the I77 back from the Challenge and can confirm scenic roads in mostly great shape. Here's a short clip I took, sorry the phone wasn't really positioned for taking video:

Don't go doing any calculations with those green signs now wink

I don't know what they use now but back in the day, '90s and early '00s, the WV State Police had Z28s and practically dared you to try and outrun them - at least according to their public service adds and the stories that came out in the newspaper right after they got those cars.  

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/31/23 10:50 a.m.

Cool stuff. I downloaded the app the other day. I wish I was closer to these places but I guess I could make a trip out of it some day. I've already been down Blue Ridge Parkway/Tail of the Dragon once.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZV4psTLl7rm3q7X3FuNre8eROK0E3dkQODA1wYToa5mbW5KWSyYDovTH8LX2mA3C