1 2 3
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/24/20 7:14 a.m.
aircooled said:
Appleseed said:

There is absolutely no reason a truck like that should have 589 miles on it. 

Exactly why it is so rare and expensive.  The chances of a utilitarian vehicle like that not being used up is infinitesimal.  A Corvette or Ferrari, not so much.

I get that, but this truck was nothing special when it was new, and it's nothing special now, IMO.

Fools and their money...

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/24/20 7:19 a.m.

One of my favorite old truck builds is this rig right here. 

It's since been completely redone with a whole new chassis. But if you look closely you will notice that he kept it a long bed.

I guess long beds are cool even for silly race trucks now. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/20 7:53 a.m.

Wow... but I suppose that can happen when you get two people with deep pockets that REALLY want something.

I'm curious what drove those two to want this truck that much. Wow...

I'm really curious to see where this one ends:

1992 Dodge Cummins 5 spd 4x4 Club Cab Long bed

While it doesn't have super low miles like that K20, 118K miles is still pretty low for a 28 year old Cummins. This was my "Dream Truck" back when I bought my '95 Cummins in 2007, but the prices on the earlier trucks was already kinda crazy back in 2007.  Currently at $18K as a I post this, but I suspect a final bid closer to $30K. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/24/20 8:13 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
aircooled said:
Appleseed said:

There is absolutely no reason a truck like that should have 589 miles on it. 

Exactly why it is so rare and expensive.  The chances of a utilitarian vehicle like that not being used up is infinitesimal.  A Corvette or Ferrari, not so much.

I get that, but this truck was nothing special when it was new, and it's nothing special now, IMO.

Fools and their money...

See, that's the thing...it's your opinion.  Someone else was of the opinion that it is is worth that much money, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/24/20 8:41 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

See, that's the thing...it's your opinion.  Someone else was of the opinion that it is is worth that much money, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Totally. It's their money, and their preference. I just happen to think it's silly to spend $85k on a mid-80s GMC pickup, no matter how mint it is.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/24/20 9:31 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Oh come on John. I never had memories as kid growing up there putting quarter panel patches on my dad's trailduster to pass inspection when the car was 6 years old. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
6/24/20 9:39 a.m.

This is one of the few that looks BETTER as a long bed, in my eyes.

If these are so desireable, maybe we can get lucky enough to scratch build them from aftermarket parts, like 65 Mustangs and 69 Camaros. Or even better, a kit that utilizes a newer frame and drivetrain.

AaronT
AaronT New Reader
6/24/20 9:43 a.m.

There is an ACR Viper with a bunch of track mods in an outrageous green color listed in the FS section for 80k right now... 

In case you were wondering how to more wisely spend 80 large.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/24/20 11:44 a.m.

My guess is that if someone is willing to spend 85k on this, it’s one of their cheaper vehicles 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/24/20 12:13 p.m.

I mean, I get that it's a time capsule, low mile, survivor, but it's just a long bed, 350, 4 speed, 10 bolt, K20. I think it's a good $70K over priced. I guess I need to start collecting square body GM trucks.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/24/20 12:52 p.m.

With completely clapped out, rotted-in-half squarebody GM trucks selling for nearly $5k around these parts, a practically new example netting $80k+ doesn't surprise me. It's absolutely off-your-rocker crazy, but it's not surprising. It's also 2020, so not much surprises me anymore.

I don't really know why the GM trucks get all the money over the Ford and Dodge counterparts. The 1980-86 F150 and the 1972-93 Dodge trucks from that era are nicely styled and about as reliable as the GM stuff. It's only a matter of time before those start demanding stupid money too.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/24/20 1:13 p.m.

I wonder if who bought it still puts a set of Outlaw IIs on it with All-Terrains.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/20 4:21 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
stuart in mn said:

Totally. It's their money, and their preference. I just happen to think it's silly to spend $85k on a mid-80s GMC pickup, no matter how mint it is.

After they started the GT40 program, Shelby couldn't give away the Daytonas, at something stuipd low, like $6,500, I think. 

Think about it: someone bought a brand new 35 year old 4x4 pickup truck. That simply doesn't happen.  

[holds up a silver pocket watch] it's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless!

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/24/20 4:43 p.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:
einy (Forum Supporter) said:
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

Or a Samurai? 

Its a crazy world. 

Tell me about it.  Started browsing the normal places for a Samurai after watching the Top Gear rainforest special.  Holy carp, they have become expensive!

I rented a Jimney in the Caribbean last year, and it suuuuuuucked at everything except going off road, which it was great at, of course. Why everyone loves these little 4wd underpowered crapcans is beyond me.

As a fourth vehicle, it’d be fun to mess around with, while still being able to handle the woods trails at my buddy’s farm when I’m so inclined.  That and James May said the one he had in Bolivia was “plucky”, and with an endorsement like that, it has to be superb!

Kramer
Kramer Dork
6/24/20 6:18 p.m.

I think it's cool, but out of my price range.  That's why I got this for my tow pig:

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/20 7:01 p.m.

^ I wouldn’t ask a penny less than $50k for that example.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/25/20 7:58 a.m.

Obviously collectors go crazy over a vehicle with ridiculously low miles, but to me it is still a waste of a nice vehicle. Even Ferry Porsche said, "My cars are meant to be driven." I  wonder if we might ever get to a day when collectors cherish a special vehicle with hundreds of thousands of miles, one that tells so many stories. If that were to happen, a lot of GRMers would be golden! 

Irv Gordon's 3-million-mile Volvo P1800 is the only car I can think of that has been widely celebrated for providing millions of miles of enjoyment. RIP Mr. Gordon, you were admired by many of us.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/25/20 8:09 a.m.

When people buy a new car and put no miles on it the car to me is like the plastic models I built as a kid.  It's just full scale as it sits on a shelf.   

These are not full size but you get the idea.  

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
6/25/20 9:14 a.m.

How about this looker on Bring a Trustfund?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-chevrolet-c10-pickup-34/

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/25/20 10:04 a.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

It's attractive, but there's no heat or a/c, a dated billet dash panel, no inner fenders so the engine compartment is exposed to road dirt and spray from the front wheels...the whole point of the truck in the original post is its extremely low miles and complete originality.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/25/20 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed. That's why I don't really want real "collector" cars.  I don't want to own something I'm afraid of driving.  I spent too much time dealing with that attitude with my ex- who wouldn't take cars out of the garage if there was a chance of rain.

Granted, the 12" parking lot mark I found on the side of my minivan yesterday reminded me of why I like to have used cars that I don't really care about for much of my driving. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/25/20 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Damn I love your Ex. Took me years to train my current one to be like you Ex.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/25/20 11:05 a.m.
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) said:

" I  wonder if we might ever get to a day when collectors cherish a special vehicle with hundreds of thousands of miles, one that tells so many stories.

Hardly doubt it. Similar to used up prostitutes, million mile Tundra and Tacoma aren't coveted. Manufacturers just take them back to do research it seems. 

There is a 400K Lambo around here, but its the super ugly one no one wants. Couple of 300K mile NSX, I don't want those. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/25/20 11:08 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Well, last I heard she's still available. A lot to like: Owns 5 cars - all with manual transmissions. Keeps them looking immaculate. And she can turn a wrench as well. 

But there are also reasons why she's my ex-... 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/25/20 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like perfection, if I ever heard of one. Mine has 2/3 qualities you mentioned.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bqNFqinB0AmuQJKSKtw554TAm17qQcjutDXP8Pbovf7MS6aOsDMahZrKWg40RsbB