1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/13 2:44 p.m.

Watching live don't know exactly what happened. Dario is probably hurt but we don't know what is going on yet.

dean1484
10/6/13 2:52 p.m.

Chip Gainsay saying he is ok.

It is amassing that the car went in to the fence and took a good section of it down yet the tub stayed intact protecting the driver.

I think that the designer of the new Indy car deserves a huge thanks!!!!

dean1484
10/6/13 2:53 p.m.

Although watching it again a big section of fence looks to have gone in to the crowd.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/6/13 2:56 p.m.

dang, that was nasty

and debris did make it into the crowd

dean1484
10/6/13 3:04 p.m.

And as usually no coverage about what is happening in the crowd

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/6/13 3:22 p.m.

and..

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
10/6/13 3:27 p.m.

The fence and several parts went into the grand stand. You can see one of the workers in the stands immediately flagging the response team in the replay.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/6/13 4:21 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_5dW_PWWd0

YouTube comment said he broke an ankle?

unk577
unk577 Reader
10/6/13 4:29 p.m.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/06/sato-viso-franchitti-involved-in-massive-last-lap-accident-at-houston/

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
10/6/13 5:29 p.m.

From what I've read, he has two cracked vertebrae and a broken ankle.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
10/6/13 5:35 p.m.

Reports that 13 spectators were injured. Two were taken to the hospital, the rest treated on the site.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/13 6:28 p.m.

Meanwhile in Mexico:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-24418069#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

When you think the Health and Safety people have gone too far with their rules, think of situations like this and the Indy crash and realize that what they do isn't always about satisfying lawyers.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/13 6:30 p.m.

Not much of a crash fence. It looked like at least one entire section was launched into the crowd, chain link, posts and all.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
10/6/13 6:50 p.m.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/6/13 6:58 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Not much of a crash fence. It looked like at least one entire section was launched into the crowd, chain link, posts and all.

The announcers mentioned the fence destruction, basically saying it was designed to do that - come apart on impact. Apparently if the posts are mounted more solidly, the crash is worse... I'm sure it's a balance they try to maintain and they'll take this data and make improvements. Fortunately, it doesn't sounds like anyone was seriously injured.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
10/6/13 7:27 p.m.
NBC Sports said: A report from Houston ABC-TV affiliate KTRK said at least 13 fans were injured from debris. Most were treated at the scene but two people have been transported to a local hospital.
NBC Sports said: INDYCAR medical director Dr. Michael Olinger has confirmed that Dario Franchitti has been admitted to the Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center here in Houston for multiple injuries including a concussion, a spinal fracture that will not require surgery, and a fractured right ankle. He will be kept overnight for observation.

It looked like Viso hit one of Dario's tires and launched it over the fence; I pray it didn't hit anyone.

As far as the fence giving way, it needs to have some flexibility in order to absorb energy. Even though spectators were hit with debris, it could have been far worse. If the fence was weaker, the car could have left the course. If it was stronger, we could have had another Wheldon-like incident.

I can see Dario asking Chip for re-assignment to USCR for next year.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
10/6/13 11:59 p.m.

More like, I can see Ashley demanding Chip re-assign Dario to USCR.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
10/7/13 4:56 a.m.

I'm pretty sure they're divorced now.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/7/13 5:30 a.m.
LainfordExpress wrote: I'm pretty sure they're divorced now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Judd

On January 29, 2013, Judd and Franchitti announced that they had mutually decided to end their marriage.
blackzx3_13
blackzx3_13 New Reader
10/7/13 9:07 a.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were the new ugly sidepods designed to prevent an incident such as this? Keeping the cars from getting airborne off of each other?

dean1484
10/7/13 9:47 a.m.
blackzx3_13 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but were the new ugly sidepods designed to prevent an incident such as this? Keeping the cars from getting airborne off of each other?

I think the speed difference was such that it really would not have mattered. The "pods" are designed to keep cars that are traveling at relatively similar speeds from catching tires and or getting the tires interlocked and sending the cars air born.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/7/13 9:50 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: From what I've read, he has two cracked vertebrae and a broken ankle.

And a concussion.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/7/13 9:51 a.m.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/indycar/fan-video-captures-dario-franchitti-houston-wreck/

fan video, fwiw

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/7/13 9:51 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Bingo, if the difference is too great or if there is an angle, it doesn't matter. He skipped the wall before "climbing" the tire anyways. Glad there weren't any fatalities and that the fence worked as designed(there isn't a perfect barrier afterall)

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
10/7/13 10:28 a.m.

The clips I saw on news reports don't clearly show how this happened. I'd like to know what caused the wreck. Can anyone describe the events leading up to the contact with other cars and the wall?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t6jRWOLX7pR2dk0d3Z7ZAgAEPvcbxSpd2MYwxvGgntis1yA1ufionNZE4Ln6VPLE