1 2
motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
9/14/14 9:24 p.m.
motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
9/14/14 9:32 p.m.

Damn, there's 3 e39 manual wagons on autotrader right now. I looked for a decent on for over a year.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/14 9:42 p.m.

But it's in Rustsconsin...

tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
9/14/14 10:50 p.m.

Not trying too hard to sell the car if they're using 6-month-old photos and have a description written like it was meant for pay-by-the-word classifieds. Also, even though Pleasant Prairie is in the southeastern corner of the state, why IL plates?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
9/14/14 11:00 p.m.
secretariata wrote: But it's in Rustsconsin...

It's okay, now they salt their roads with cheese!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/14/14 11:33 p.m.

Have you seen what cheese does to the people of Wisconsin!?!?

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
9/15/14 4:44 a.m.

5-speed E39 Wagon - $4500

Nice color too.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
9/15/14 5:12 a.m.

I do like that color ! But do I really want a BMW ...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/15/14 5:39 a.m.

The thread title sounds like you're selling a car.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/14 6:41 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: The thread title sounds like you're selling a car.

That's what I thought too.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/15/14 6:44 a.m.
Have you seen what cheese does to the people of Wisconsin!?!?

Say what?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
9/15/14 7:30 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/15/14 8:14 a.m.

The reason they are using 6 month old pics for the first one is the crack smoking asking price. $8.5k really. For a 13/14 year old 85k mile car

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
9/15/14 8:44 a.m.
T.J. wrote: 1999 BMW 540it 6 speed rare!!! - $11000 (Anderson, SC)

More of a horse with a horn glued to his forehead.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
9/15/14 9:05 a.m.

Bear in mind, regarding price that there were about 190 e39 manual wagons imported in 2000, fewer each successive year. You can buy e39 automatic wagons w/o sport pack all day long for $3500.

Also, I'm not trying to sell anything. I've noticed when I mention my 525iT someone often says "That's so cool, I'd love to find one". So when I noticed a few - I haven't seen one in a while - I thought it would the friendly thing to do.

So berkeley me for daring to mention a car that costs more then someone thinks it should cost from a state that could have been more desirable. How about this: if it was the perfect color combination, low miles, full service history, and California, inland, for $3500 I'd have PayPal'd the seller and set up shipping already so I could flip it for $10k.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/15/14 9:16 a.m.
motomoron wrote: So berkeley me for daring to mention a car that costs more then someone thinks it should cost from a state that could have been more desirable.

Wow, less coffee there dude. No one is criticizing you for posting it, it's just banter around the ad.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/15/14 10:05 a.m.

In reply to motomoron:

Dude... complaining and arguing are what we do.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/15/14 10:13 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to motomoron: Dude... complaining and arguing are what we do.

No it isn't!

mfennell
mfennell Reader
9/15/14 10:24 a.m.

My buddy has an '03 525iT manual Sport. He bought it sight-unseen (paid for a not-particularly-well-done PPI) in FL and had it trucked to NJ about 5 years ago. Loves it.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
9/15/14 10:25 a.m.
bludroptop wrote:
T.J. wrote: 1999 BMW 540it 6 speed rare!!! - $11000 (Anderson, SC)
More of a horse with a horn glued to his forehead.

That made me LOL. It may just have a glued on unicorn horn, but all the pixels are good. Says so right in the ad.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
9/15/14 10:31 a.m.

And a salvage title ? I'll have whatever the owner is smoking please .

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/15/14 10:43 a.m.
motomoron wrote: Also, I'm not trying to sell anything. I've noticed when I mention my 525iT someone often says "That's so cool, I'd love to find one". So when I noticed a few - I haven't seen one in a while - I thought it would the friendly thing to do. So berkeley me for daring to mention a car that costs more then someone thinks it should cost from a state that could have been more desirable.

Chill man! Re-read your thread title and tell me it doesn't sound like you're selling something. Woody and I can't be the only ones who read it that way.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/15/14 10:45 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Ian F wrote: In reply to motomoron: Dude... complaining and arguing are what we do.
No it isn't!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/14 10:48 a.m.

I had a 97 540i with factory six speed (= sport package back then) that I bought with 40k miles. The thing was a nightmare in terms of maintenance even with that low mileage, but drove great. There are a long list of things that go wrong with them that would make me never want another one.

1. Valve cover gaskets leak all the time, you'll get maybe 30k miles out of them at a shot. Takes a full day of labor for an experienced mechanic to replace them.
  2. Cooling system has lots of failure points that allow air into the system and cause water pump failures.
  3. Catalytic converters regularly fail and there are no aftermarket alternatives that don't burn out even more quickly. The stock pieces cost around $1500 and there are two of them. Both of mine were toast by 80k.
  4. Stock clutch is weak, mine went by 80k and I never raced the thing, it was just a commuter car.

Basically if you go down this list you're gonna have all of these things happen before the car makes it to 100k.

http://www.540i6.com/probsfixes.html

At 90k miles I sold it for around $7500. The car was in very good condition overall with clean title.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/15/14 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

To me it was a GRM member selling off one of his prized possessions. I remember thinking "isn't there a FOR SALE section here.

Either way it's no biggie.

I personally couldn't care less where it was from or how much it sells for. I'd ride that unicorn like a boss (just realized I've never typed nor said "like a boss" in my life and now I know why!)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P6HNdApm4ZPy0YQSuOoNv7sK4tWtYG4UHX12VjFbkhAoYjpHHe8XA4vi2YsYXVQq