AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve HalfDork
10/10/24 3:46 p.m.

I’ve had my 2002 Silverado 1500 for about 4 years now, and it’s been a great truck for me. But with 295,000 miles and 22 years behind it, it’s starting to worry me for longer drives. I drive a lot of highway miles and I think it’s about time to get something a little fresher for peace of mind.

My thinking is this: I don’t necessarily need a truck. I have a cap on mine, and I’ve found I don’t need the unlimited height so much as I need interior volume. I do, however need a high towing capacity. I usually only tow about 4,500 lbs of race car and trailer, but I expect to tow heavier cars in the future (and possibly a small travel trailer) and I tow on some pretty extreme grades – the most notable being I-26 and I-40 through the NC mountains – and I want something that isn’t going to struggle. So my target towing capacity is 8,000 lbs to give myself lots of leeway. 4x4 is also a must – my trailer is kept at the bottom of a muddy field. I’d like something with less than 175,000 miles and my budget is basically my truck plus a few  thousand bucks, so we’ll say $10,000. I’d like it to be about 15 years old. This will be my daily driver, but my daily commute is short and not through a crowded city.

My current top contenders, as far I have gotten:

1. 1st Gen Nissan Armada: 9k towing, a decent example can be had in the sub $10k range with less than 150k miles very easily. Unsure of reliability.
  2. 2011 or later Infiniti QX56/80: Ugly as sin, but I don’t really mind. 8,500 lb towing. Nice interior and ride is a plus. Based on the Nissan Patrol, which is neat and gives more aftermarket support options. Drinks premium, which is definitely not a plus. Similar price and miles as Armadas around here. Unsure of reliability.
  3. GMT 800 Suburban 2500, Escalade, or Avalanche: Familiar, but also shares the same weaknesses my current truck has – glass transmissions, etc. I know the 80e is better than the 60e, but that’s a very low bar. I don’t want to give my transmission guy any more of my hard-earned cash. Decently expensive for nice ones. I wouldn’t mind moving to something new.
  4. 2nd Gen Toyota Sequoia: Probably too expensive and if I find one in my price range it’s probably got 300k miles and is beat on pretty good. A nice pipe dream.

I’ve considered some of the midsize V8 SUVs like the Kia Borrego, Pathfinder V8, 4 Runner V8 or Jeep Commander, but they don’t seem like they can tow quite as well in the mountains. I don’t really trust German or European SUVs for reliability reasons.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts. I’m open to suggestions.

Pic of the old girl:

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/24 4:09 p.m.

I've been doing this thought exercise, decided on a Sequoia. I live in Florida, so the 4.7 first gen would be adequate for my aluminum open trailer and a light car, you're going to want the 5.7 in the second gen. I'm seeing them in the 10k or less price here in FL, with 100-150k miles.

I don't know a lot of the concerns for these trucks, other than frame rust, timing chain tensioners.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/10/24 7:43 p.m.

GMT900 Suburban / Escalade with the 6.0 and 6 speed automatic. The extra gears make a big difference. 

If you're really going to tow 8k, consider a 2500. I towed my 8,500-9,000 trailer with my 5.7 Tundra for a year. Engine and brakes were up to the task. Suspension was not. The heavier duty suspension on my GMT900 2500 Silverado does a much better job of handling the weight. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/24 8:25 p.m.

I believe it was possible to get the GMT800 2500HD with the 8.1 and the Allison transmission.  That would solve the "glass transmission" problem.

(A Duramax would also come with Allison, but that's likely beyond the $10K budget)

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/10/24 8:31 p.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

I've done a bit of towing with my '07 Armada.  HATE the way it tows.  I'm going to replace it to get something else that tows better.  The independent rear suspension wages all over the place on bumps at freeway speeds.  I just towed the Molvo 2.0 550 miles home on a dolly.  Would not recommend.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/10/24 9:12 p.m.

Why not a GMT900 2500? Seems like the logical step up from your GMT800

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/24 9:36 p.m.

I cannot highly recommend a 3rd gen Expedition or Navigator enough.  I bought my 2011 XLT with leather, nav, moonroof, heated and cooled seats for $5k from the second owner.  Great history, 159k miles.  I proceeded to do about $2000 of service to the truck to future-proof my investment.  It has a factory heavy duty tow rating of 9000lb.

I'm now at 172k miles, and we twice used it on trips from the NE to MW with zero issues.

For whatever reason these are significantly cheaper than comparable GM counterparts and every bit as reliable (at least).

https://youtu.be/BmzvZHaVSjo?si=uhHlKt3pl5NLQnFZ

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/24 9:43 p.m.
buzzboy said:

Why not a GMT900 2500? Seems like the logical step up from your GMT800

Considering the weight you're going to be towing, that's probably better advice than my plan to buy a Sequoia. 

Edit: the 2500 Suburban does not come with the Allison transmission, only the trucks. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z0lBtRihVSPWDbyDqq08TTzUnftkoqxQNbzVFju49RcrZukvaUEV9kExKzf3bKGm