92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
2/17/17 9:14 a.m.

My dad is going to need some new wheels by the end of March. His older Elantra GT (02-05ish?) hatch is getting up there in mileage (176k) and it is going to need a decent amount of $$ at inspection time come end of March to keep it running and it might be cheaper just to dump it and go with something newer. He doesn't drive a lot so a lease would probably be a good idea. Anybody know of any cheap leases out there?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
2/17/17 9:20 a.m.

Think you can get into a VW 2.0 Golf or Jetta decently cheap.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/17/17 9:47 a.m.

In reply to 92dxman:

Look at the website leasehackr. com

It is very California based but their forum section often has some leads as well as the site gives some good education in Leasing 101.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/17/17 10:18 a.m.

Seems like every one has "cheap" leases.
A hefty own payment is included.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
2/17/17 10:19 a.m.

Corollas always lease cheap due to high resale.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/17/17 10:25 a.m.

There's a place around here offering Kia Optimas at 2 for $222 a month. I'm a diehard car owner, but that's pretty hard to pass up.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
2/17/17 10:52 a.m.

Kia 111$ on a soul is the best right now. Cheap wise.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/17/17 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

Links?????

I wonder if a fly and drive for a lease is a thing....

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
2/17/17 11:29 a.m.

http://www.glassmankia.com/kia-2-for-222.htm

Here is the 2 for 222 Optima. Zero down . Its in Michigan.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/monthly-199-lease-deals.html

Here is a list on Edmunds I found. Zero down are limited to Buick Encore, Chevy Equinox, Subie Legacy and Forester.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/17/17 12:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: In reply to Duke: Links????? I wonder if a fly and drive for a lease is a thing....

It was Jim Sipala Kia in West Chester, PA, but I just checked their website and didn't see it any more. It was on a radio ad a week or two ago.

Turnersville Kia in NJ is basically advertising your choice for $79 a month... but the fine print says "Lease for 79 months for 39 months" which sounds an awful lot like "60% of the time, it works every time" to me.

If it means what I think it means, I seriously hope there's nobody stupid enough to sign up for 40 more payments after the turn-in date.

tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
2/17/17 1:14 p.m.

Two comments. First, TrueCar has some lease calculation information @ https://www.truecar.com/l/lease-a-car/. Plug in your make, model & ZIP code, then they show you some potential lease offers available. Now, I don't know if those actually are available @ local dealers. I was looking for a GMC Sierra Denali (which leases very well due to its high residual value) and TrueCar showed some strong local offers, but none of those dealers actually came through with the same offers.

Second, another portion of Edmund's site has a lot of good lease information - https://forums.edmunds.com/discussions/tagged/x/leasing . Forum moderators provide manufacturer-specific information like residual values & money factors. You can troll through there, find some cars you're interested in, then research their typical RV & MF numbers. Lots of people asking questions there, so your specific information has probably already been answered in the threads.

Obviously higher RV's are better and lower MF's are better. RV's are typically set by a couple of large commercial banks so those numbers are 'fixed.' However, MF's (or interest rates) are variable. It's in your best interest to have a good credit score, thus making it likely you can negotiate to the lowest MF. Note, like all financing, dealers are not likely to give you the low rate right away. Knowing the base MF available allows you to negotiate down to it.

The final piece of the puzzle is the sale price of the vehicle, or the 'base capitalized cost.' Some makes & models have more wiggle room than others, and that's probably a function of local inventory, more or less popular option packages, colors, etc. That's pretty standard negotiating. However, most sales incentives often don't apply to lease transactions, so the "$5,000 OFF MSRP!" deals can't necessarily be used.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/17/17 2:02 p.m.

In my experience, lease offers are very market dependent -- so smoking deals I found in California were nowhere to be had here in Atlanta, for example. I plugged my zip into manufacturer sites and called local dealers to get the current deals; Truecar might save you some time on that.

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
2/17/17 4:40 p.m.

All lease deals by brand/region can be found on US News & World Report:

US News & World Report: Best Lease Deals

They renew the data every month.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
2/17/17 5:05 p.m.

VW Tiguan. S FWD can be done with 0 out of pocket and $170 a month. Lot of car for that. 3 year 12k miles per year

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ea70nHsy4SyOt0retWvYa7kxAEBoAhmbXJYZBGCC03TbajraAiEtYuZjVZrFrMdW