dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
1/19/13 7:13 p.m.

I've got a Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket and recently have been wanting to learn more about british classic cars. Any good books to look for? Not looking for anything too expensive. I was on Amazon earlier and found a book they were asking $1700 for.

Thanks Dan

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/19/13 7:32 p.m.

IMO the brand/model specific books are a better value than some generic, all-British book that will probably cover a bunch of dull saloons we've never seen here nor likely care about.

My favorite Mini book is by James Ruppert, because it covers all the civilian models and not just endless worship of the works Coopers. I also own Sprites and Midgets by Anders Clausager which I enjoyed. Car books can be hard to buy if you can't page through them. The reviews on Amazon have helped me narrow down my searches as a lot of them will tell you more about their content than the sales pitches in the catalog.

spriteracer
spriteracer Reader
1/19/13 9:31 p.m.

I will sell you a classic british car filled with books for $1700.00.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
1/19/13 10:41 p.m.

Agree that you really need to go marque-specific. There are a lot of coffee table type books that cover a lot of British cars with lots of pretty pictures, but aren't a very interesting read. Same with most of the "restoration guides."

I've got one about the MGA that is a fascinating, detailed chronicle of how the MGA came about and its era. But you have to be really interested in MGA's. Oops, just looked it up on Amazon and it goes for $150 (it is the one by David Knowles)!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gjYUpEeW8i86YcnkSotr1PBLwJziCgwfF8jbJio6ucwAvnGYhQUsz0PgVBVQOwx1