fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
9/17/08 6:49 p.m.

Totally in left field from my MS VQ30 thread, is the I5 any good or a boat anchor? Any good I5 / GM mid-size truck sites?

cwh
cwh Dork
9/17/08 7:05 p.m.

I understand that it is a very sophisticated, super efficient design. Very strong block, light, excellent head design. It just doesn't look like a car engine! Not sure about external dimensions. One rodder put one in a little Nova wagon with a bunch of turbo, went like stink.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/17/08 8:28 p.m.

I really detest the variable cam geometry ones. Not only do they not shine at any RPM, you can feel little surges of torque as the cam "steps up." Its really annoying.

They seem to be very reliable and have plenty of torque, they just seem so blah to me. Not worth the sophistication and headache to get them to run. I would imagine if you simplified them you would lose the benefits, but gain ease of retrofitting.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
9/17/08 9:39 p.m.

if the I5 is the same as the trailblazer straight six, I am disappointed at the HP and torque. Or could it be the weight of the vehicle? 275hp? where?

We had a '94 S10 blazer that had that 4.3 liter v6 that was rated at 200hp. It roared like a schoolbus when cold, but that baby had power........maybe because it was a 350cid with two less cylinders?

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/08 2:27 a.m.

Yeah... same here. My family had three 4.3 blazers, and now we've had two of the I6 trailblazers. Boring to say the least.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
9/18/08 6:55 a.m.

Anyone with any direct experience with these engines in the current GM pickups? Not necessarily thinking of this engine in a swap context.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy New Reader
9/18/08 7:57 a.m.
fastEddie wrote: Anyone with any direct experience with these engines in the current GM pickups? Not necessarily thinking of this engine in a swap context.

If you are thinking of buying a truck (ie: colorado) with an I5 in it, don't bother. A fullsize pickup (seirra or silverado) gets virtually the same gas mileage with the 4.8L V8, you can tow more, haul more, and have a crew cab that can fit 4 people very nicely. And with truck prices in the sh&tter, it is the perfect time to buy a 1/2 ton!

Greg55_99
Greg55_99 New Reader
9/18/08 11:52 a.m.

The original 3.5L I5 had major head issues. Many are still being replaced under warranty. The new 3.7L versions are much better.

Greg

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/18/08 2:35 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
fastEddie wrote: Anyone with any direct experience with these engines in the current GM pickups? Not necessarily thinking of this engine in a swap context.
If you are thinking of buying a truck (ie: colorado) with an I5 in it, don't bother. A fullsize pickup (seirra or silverado) gets virtually the same gas mileage with the 4.8L V8, you can tow more, haul more, and have a crew cab that can fit 4 people very nicely. And with truck prices in the sh&tter, it is the perfect time to buy a 1/2 ton!

My friend has a colorado. He gets 21 Mpg maybe 22. It is 4wd with auto standard cab. A 2wd 1/2ton should get you the same mileage with a light foot. Other than that.. it's ok.. nothing great.. nothing terrible.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/18/08 4:53 p.m.

I've thought about it as a locost donor. It kinda sits in a nowhere land. Torquey to be sure, but heavier and bulkier than I4s, while not having the exquisite balance characteristics as a 6. What is appealing is that it's available in a manual RWD configuration, so there's less custom stuff to make.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
9/18/08 9:07 p.m.

Maybe the earlier versions were available with a stick but no more....

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
9/18/08 9:12 p.m.

One of my customers has a 2wd shortbox auto and he reports 17mpg average.

I'm appalled. I do better than that in a 4.7l Durango.

(and wishin' it was the 5.7l Hemi, which is more powerful AND more fuel efficient)

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
9/19/08 12:13 a.m.

I have the 4cyl version with 5spd, and considering the size of truck it hauls around, I get exceptional mileage. In good conditions, I can easily get 8l/100km, and running it hard, or towing (I tow a lot), 10l/100km. It makes double the power my last truck did, yet gets the same, or better MPG. I like it. IIRC, the head problem was soft valve seats.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pb3FLAQCpVPHytdzHc3htGIFDu8GC4Egvra1izWOrdnJtqnCwknHhYcmnIEzTzmI