1 2
Hoppps
Hoppps New Reader
1/23/24 9:13 a.m.

I actually just remembered my in-laws have a previous gen crv. I rode in the 2023 CRV in November, and rode in theirs (not sure what year, maybe 2020?) in December. The rear in the previous gen seemed larger to me than the current gen, and I like the previous gen better. I believe they get really good mpg in Atlanta traffic too.

I would look into the batter warranties too. I can't remember the CRV Hybrid (8yr 100k maybe?), but Toyota is 10yr 150k (8yr 100k for components), Hyundai/kia 10yr 100k. I noticed in my Hyundai manual they expect the battery to degrade to 70% at 100k miles.....just something to think of!

porschenut
porschenut Dork
1/23/24 9:15 a.m.

Make sure both kiddie seats fit in the back. My experience is decades old but had to move to a bigger car because the seats wouldn't fit or unlatch without frustration.  And kids are frustrating enough without this as an issue.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/24 10:44 a.m.
grover said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I'm looking at those for the wife- her favorite car was a 96 accord and she wants high gas mileage- but not a full electric. 
would you please flesh out your experience more? 

This is a 2022, so last year of the previous generation, but we needed a new car during the pandemic and when this was avaliable at MSRP, I jumped on it.

Initial MPG was 51 when it was new, but it has dropped to a consistent 49.5 two years later. I'm pretty sure that transmission is direct drive, but it mimics a CVT in normal mode (boo...). It is substantially better in Sport mode though, and that doesn't seem to impact the MPG at all.

The hybrid driving experience is actually fun, in sort of an alternative enthusiast kind of way. Using the paddles to adjust the regenerative braking is fun. There definitely a bit of a learning curve. You can't quite get to one-pedal driving, but  you can get it close.

The only thing that I don't like about the car is the artificial noise below 17 mph, but that's a government mandate as of 2020(?), (so you don't run over the blind people), and it's not Honda's fault.

I went with an EX-L because they come with 17 inch wheels. There are far too many potholes in New England to deal with 19s. If it were not for that, I would have gone with a Touring, which would have come with ventilated front seats and heated rears.

Otherwise, it's just a fairly normal Honda Accord, which is awesome. I would absolutely buy another Honda Hybrid.

I have a Toyota truck, and while I have total respect with Toyota's hybrid track record, I think that Honda interiors are just a much nicer place to spend your time. I've had a long string of Accords before this one (1995, 1998, 2004, 2010, and 2016). The first two were 4 cylinders, and the next three were V6s. All have been great cars, and each one has been better than the one before it. This car is no exception.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/23/24 12:00 p.m.

I recently read about the Civic offering a hybrid model in the USA as a 2025 model, due out in mid 2024.  Sounds like the hatchback will at least be offered (not sure if it will be the only body style though in hybrid), which ticks a bunch of boxes for me!  While the CR-V in hybrid form is attractive to me, a Civic hatchback is even more so.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/23/24 3:30 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

That Civic Hatchback Hybrid would have checked a lot of boxes for me when I was in college/recent grad–though I'll have to see what the dimensions are like on the inside.

Not sure if we'll have the time to wait for it to make it production, though.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/24 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Thank you Woody! 100% agree on Toyota interiors. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/23/24 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

Ding Ding Ding!!

32mpg?  I couldn't break 22 with a Jetta!

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
1/23/24 4:15 p.m.

1. We have a minivan and plan to downsize to a CR-V Hybrid in a couple years, so I am watching this thread with interest.

2. What age for fostering? We went to a minivan specifically for foster kids, as they can't intentionally open a door into another car. Foster kids come from rough places and they often have not had good role models for dealing with frustration and anger. If they are too young to open their own door, then this is not an issue.

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
1/24/24 12:08 p.m.

That money also buys a Model 3 if you want to go electric -  which if you're a homeowner is as easy as stringing some 10/3 to a 240V 20A breaker and installing a good 6-20 outlet. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/24/24 12:27 p.m.

In reply to chaparral :

Tempting, but we aren't quite ready to have our primary vehicle be an EV. If we were shopping for a secondary car, hands down we'd be getting something electric.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/24/24 1:16 p.m.
914Driver said:

We have a 2019 CR-V, not hybrid which we bought when it came off lease.  I was the last hold out for SUVs as I didn't like the Soccer Mom stereotype, but EVERYBODY has one!  You can't see around them, so join them.  It's roomy enough, easy to drive, got all the chachkas and gets good mileage.  I can't speak for the Hybrid, but it can only be better.

Now, if the Ridgeline is anything like this .....

It's funny to see in the garage, how much larger our '18 Mazda 3 is vs the '23 BRZ. We will likely get something even smaller for her in a few years, unless we decide to get a small camper trailer, in which case we'd need to get a midsize truck like a Tacoma/Frontier/Ranger. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/24 1:57 p.m.
wae said:

I don't know what years or engines this applies to - or if my coworker is just flat wrong! - but I have a coworker with a CRV that's somewhere in the 2015-2017 vintage I think.  He has some sort of problem with it where it rattles and/or ticks a bunch and he said it's a common problem that had some sort of expensive fix.  I realize that no actual information was harmed in the making of that sentence, but maybe look that up and see if it is (a) a thing and (b) applies?

If it has a Honda four cylinder, the intake cam sprocket fails.  I have seen them break inside from rattling.

If it's over 80k and they did oil changes by Honda's schedule instead of every 3000, that's probably it.

Toyotas have the same problem but they are usually too rusty to be worth fixing.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/2/24 5:39 p.m.

Sorry for the late response, my in-laws have a '22 CR-V hybrid and average about 40 MPG (mostly in town driving). I've driven it on a few occasions and it works well as a daily driver. It was thousands cheaper than a comparable Rav4 hybrid, and so far has delivered on the mileage expectations. One thing to note is the CR-V's EPA number on the highway isn't earth-shattering (35 MPG).

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
2/2/24 7:58 p.m.

JG drove a RAV-4 Hybrid back when I was there. I believe he took it up to Kentucky and back, and I recall him liking it a lot. I honestly can't remember driving a CR-V but I know the Pilot Honda gave us at Monterey was absolutely amazing. Probably not in the cars, though.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman UltraDork
2/2/24 8:59 p.m.

We have 2 children 2+3. We have a 17 CRV and decided to get a new Sienna which is a hybrid as the primary kid hauler. The Sienna is great we regularly get 36mpg have sliding doors with giant openings for car seats. Plenty of room for everything, my wife hated the idea of the minivan but now I'm a CRV driver because of it. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/3/24 7:20 a.m.

I had a rav4 when I had my 2nd.  And Jesus. When thry get a little older they opened those car doors into nearly everything.  Didn't help that I lived in Seattle and parking spaces were small. We got a min in van and problem solved. It's this amazing parenting moment when you relished your older kid can get in and out of the car and buckle his seatbelt by himself.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bBYC2kOxDTD7GvdFlZHbNXUz1J70CO8CYfQQn5xbrry1kV5BMqHj37SyT6AwHKhR