Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/12 3:25 p.m.

Can someone tell me the outside diameter of a Miata spare tire? I'm assuming that they are on a 14 inch rim. This is for a non-Miata project. Thanks.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/12 3:36 p.m.

Tire size 115/70/14

OD approx. 19.5"

Woody
11/11/12 3:46 p.m.

Perfect. Anybody want to sell me one?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/11/12 3:54 p.m.
Woody wrote: Perfect. Anybody want to sell me one?

Just threw mine out since it wouldn't fit over the sport brakes, or else you could have had it for shipping.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/12 3:59 p.m.

Need one? I'll send it for shipping

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
11/11/12 6:25 p.m.

I threw out two today! And have another two left!

Joey

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/12 7:38 p.m.

We've got a pile in salvage.

BTW, there is a 15" version that will fit over Sport brakes as well as most aftermarket big brake kits. They can be found in the trunks of cars that were fitted with Sport brakes, oddly enough. Outer diameter is the same.

Woody
11/11/12 7:41 p.m.

Can someone tell me the width of the 14 inch wheel?

peter
peter HalfDork
11/11/12 7:54 p.m.

Wheel weight FAQ lists it as 14x4

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
11/11/12 8:17 p.m.

"Anybody here own a Miata?" this made me laugh!!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/11/12 8:45 p.m.

I have one you can have.

Woody
11/12/12 10:31 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: We've got a pile in salvage. BTW, there is a 15" version that will fit over Sport brakes as well as most aftermarket big brake kits. They can be found in the trunks of cars that were fitted with Sport brakes, oddly enough. Outer diameter is the same.

Quote:

FM Salvage is temporarily closed as we search for a new Salvage Master to run the division. We do not currently have a date for when it will reopen.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/12 10:45 a.m.

This is true, but the new salvage guy has been hired. Looks like Thanksgiving for reopening. Maybe you don't need one for tomorrow but are able to wait?

Woody
11/12/12 10:49 a.m.

I really don't need one at all, but I didn't think anyone really wanted to go through the trouble of packaging and shipping a mounted tire. I do it several times each week, so I know that it can be a PITA.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
11/12/12 4:02 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I have one you can have.

A Miata ?

Woody
11/12/12 7:42 p.m.

Here's the plan:

My Porsche came with a super heavy collapsible spare tire on a 15x5.5 inch steel rim. It's 25 years old and has never been used.

Fuchs14

The reason that they chose to use these is that the car has a 22 gallon fuel tank and the spare is fitted to the shape of the tank. The tire measures 20 inches across and there's not a lot of extra space around it.

On one of my generic "Porsche" searches on Craigslist, I found a single, nearly perfect 14x5.5 inch Fuchs wheel off of a late 60's 912. In addition to its beautiful condition, it's really light. So the plan is to mount a temporary spare from a Miata onto this wheel and shed a few pounds up front. I'll also be able to keep tabs on the tire's condition, rather than just hoping that the collapsible tire will hold air when I need it. As an added bonus, I will no longer need to carry an air compressor with me.

Photobucket

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/13/12 4:59 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: This is true, but the new salvage guy has been hired. Looks like Thanksgiving for reopening. Maybe you don't need one for tomorrow but are able to wait?

Black Friday at FM?

EvoRoadster
EvoRoadster New Reader
11/14/12 6:10 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Now that sounds like a damn good plan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RXR7NA2flMZeKwwAEnKFCepuMAcaEtpO5iYBZZPLYMWTE9zGgsqwbvXGxkIImtJL