¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/9/24 11:38 a.m.

So I've got an intake manifold which would work great... if the throttle body came out of it literally anywhere else, since it currently wants to go through the windshield on the car I'm inappropriately stuffing the engine into.  I can't help but notice that it'd be perfectly fine if I did this:

As far as I can google, nobody has done this, probably for good reason, but if anyone has I feel like they'd be here.  In theory I could 3d print or fiberglass up some stuff and bond it to my hacked up manifold to get things where I want.  Yeah, I could print an entire manifold too, but that's pretty expensive.

Thoughts?  Experiences?

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/24 11:56 a.m.

I have an intake tube that is slightly off angle that I've been considering cutting and plastic welding back together. It's no where near the stresses of a manifold but I'm interested in hearing about people's thoughts on plastic-ology of it...

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
10/9/24 11:59 a.m.

i've never done it, but i can't see why it wouldn't work...i assume it's a dry manifold so as long as you can get the joint to be air-tight (which i'm sure could be done with JB weld) you won't have any issues. You might leave a few HP on the table if your joint wasn't super smooth inside, but i'd bed that would be minimal as long as your craftsmanship is halfway decent (and from what i've seen on your other posts, it would be).

I say do it. slice/dice/glue back together and profit

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
10/9/24 12:16 p.m.

Does the intake have a marking anywhere on it that would decode the particular plastic material it is made of?

I too am interested in this but have discounted it not knowing if a solvent or heat welded glass fiber reinforced plastic would hold up to boost pressures.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/9/24 12:24 p.m.

I know that Stampie or Michael did some plastic smoothing of an intake for Darth Nader.  Might be a starting point?

I wonder if stir welding would be an option here.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/9/24 12:27 p.m.

I would lean more towards fabing up an aluminum one, but certainly am interested in seeing where this goes. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/24 12:47 p.m.

Not on an intake but hot staples and adhesives were the name of the game for prototyping lawn mower decks.  SLS printed glass filled nylon hot staples nicely to a precision sawzalled polypropylene lawnmower deck.  For an intake I'd probably seal with JB Weld or laminate fiberglass on it.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/24 1:08 p.m.

Probably doable.

IIRC the first step would be finding out what type of plastic it is-I think different material types can be "welded" in different ways.

Any markings to indicate what the material is? PTFE, etc.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/9/24 1:09 p.m.

My thought would be messing up the air distribution inside the manifold to the individual cylinders. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/9/24 1:10 p.m.

I believe it's PA6-GF30, a glass filled nylon.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
10/9/24 2:49 p.m.

I am looking at doing something similar with a 2GR.  I want it to come out the middle of the plenum going rearward and am looking at making one out of carbon fiber.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/24 3:03 p.m.

It's actually really easy, you just throw the hole thing out and replace it with individual throttle bodies!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/9/24 3:23 p.m.

If only this wasn't 2 grand...

Perhaps you could machine or print a spacer that lets you bolt the stock manifold on rotated 180? The arrangement of the lower plenum holes looks like it would be rotationally symmetrical about the vertical axis by 180 degrees...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/24 3:32 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Good idea. Fiberglass reinforced nylon is a printable material, and there's an even higher temperature plastic called Ultem, but since the stock manifold is FG-reinforced nylon that should work fine. CF-reinforced nylon should have the same temperature resistance and is also printable.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/9/24 3:38 p.m.

If the plenum holes are truly symmetric, and if that packaging clears the hood, this could easily be a sendcutsend part with tapped and countersunk holes. Even if the ports don't quite match up, you could port match with a die grinder. Basically same thing I did with the ITB's on the Rice Rod:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/9/24 4:24 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

If only this wasn't 2 grand...

It also wants to share space with my windshield and is very tall.

I looked hard at rotating the stock manifold 180, there's a LOT of stuff on the valve cover it interferes with.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
10/9/24 5:29 p.m.

Is there another similar plenum that could be bolted on? Or was the same engine used in a different platform that maybe had the throttle body located differently?

I know a Windstar 3.8 plenum was a swap Mustang 3.8 owners would do for relocating throttle body.

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
10/9/24 5:37 p.m.

How valuable is the stock manifold? If it isn't any good to you in its current form, cut it and start looking at how it's made. Having seen your fabrication skills I am sure you can do this. Sometimes the first cut is hard to do because we want a full plan ahead of time. Once you start working things often become much clearer. One thought I had is that a metal sleeve that is a tight fit in the end of the cut off section the throttle body attached to could be then placed into a hole cut where you want the new location to be. I think you got this! Get started.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P0NK7a0dsUwapVHkto7yknkdMVHcVvmvSG8iHUL3TbKYtiYdZr8BcLUCrhylcE1M